Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

Castrol Oil

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
swifty2k is an unknown quantity at this point
Castrol Oil

I just got an oil change, and for the first time I tried running Castrol GTX 5w20 Anybody running just GTX? That was the only 5w20 they had in the shop, so I didnt have many options....
Old 10-31-2005
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

aznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud of
I heard the only good castrol oil is the the green-label german castrol full synthetic
Old 10-31-2005
My SL65 rim, because a rim is all I can afford
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
Ehhh.... most dino oils are fine for 4,000 miles. I would think you'll be fine if you change it out at 4,000 miles, don't exxpect to go 7,500 miles on any dino oil. Other than that, it's fine

As always, I have to put my .02 in, check out Max Life oil by Valvoline if you have more than 50k miles, good stuff and a 5qurat jug is only $10+ change at Wal-Mart.
Old 10-31-2005

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by aznboysrfr
I heard the only good castrol oil is the the green-label german castrol full synthetic

If you have an M3...
Old 10-31-2005
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
you should've gotten castrol syntec. no other oil gives more horsepower (the commercial told me so).
Old 10-31-2005
Registered!!

swifty2k is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by gearbox
you should've gotten castrol syntec. no other oil gives more horsepower (the commercial told me so).

That was a good commercial......
I figured that GTX was crap, I change my oil every 5000 km's on average... So im not worried about it, but again, thats all they had!
Old 10-31-2005
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
just use dino oil and lc20 from lubecontrol.com feels so much better at freeway speeds.
Old 10-31-2005
Like my dad used to say, Just bend over and take it like a man, son

J_UNIT should not be trustedJ_UNIT should not be trustedJ_UNIT should not be trustedJ_UNIT should not be trustedJ_UNIT should not be trustedJ_UNIT should not be trustedJ_UNIT should not be trustedJ_UNIT should not be trustedJ_UNIT should not be trustedJ_UNIT should not be trusted
i heard once u use synthetic, that u have to keep using it...not sure if its true or not but yeah thas what someone told me....but yeah i use GTX 5w20 and been using it since i got my my car....been running smooth and doing the oil changes regularly
Old 10-31-2005

Originally Posted by J_UNIT
i heard once u use synthetic, that u have to keep using it...not sure if its true or not but yeah thas what someone told me....but yeah i use GTX 5w20 and been using it since i got my my car....been running smooth and doing the oil changes regularly

No you can change oils when ever you want.That was true about 20 years ago, but today there is little difference between synthetic and dino, other than synthetic can go FAR longer than dino oil.
Old 11-07-2005
Drunken Master-7thgen Ninja

MajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to behold
i use all type of oil including castro. it was my little experiment. i used penzoil one change, castrol, and some others, but i liked the castro the most. i recorded the best gas mileage with it. so thats what i use. but i also like valvoline for my thin oil applications.
Old 11-07-2005
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
zen_master is on a distinguished road
should i consider changin my routine M1 5W20 into something else.........?

or....should i just stick with it?

i changed my oil with M1 0W20 for about 5 times already.....so that's like 15K with them.....last time, 1 month ago, i changed it with 5W20 (M1's replacement of 0W20)......

im pretty sure the oil inside my engine is completely synthetic by now.............lol

(maybe i can get better MPG with different brand?)
Old 11-07-2005
Wanna see a donkey show?

cg95660 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have ran several types of oils in mine and my ladies civic(2002/1998) I have found that castrol oils have a better start up protection....by the way my ladies car sounds when it first starts its kinda worn a bit. I tried the mobil clean 5k and found it was not as good as castrol. It changed color way too fast which is how i change my oils, that and miles. I switched to 5-20 castrol synthetic blend and I run 5-30 castrol gtx startup in hers.
Old 11-07-2005

Originally Posted by zen_master
should i consider changin my routine M1 5W20 into something else.........?

or....should i just stick with it?

(maybe i can get better MPG with different brand?)
here is my take on synthetic oil.

The major advantage to syn oil is the oil change interval. Synthetic has some other favorable properties, but most of those properties are only good for high performance engines like in the a vet or EVO, the civic really doesn't fall under this catagory. So IMO the best bang for your buck is a decent dino oil and change it every 4,000-5,000 miles. I personally use Valvoline Max Life (which is a synthetic blend) and can be had at Wal Mart for just over $10 for 5 quarts, that's around $2 a quart, you can't buy a better oil for the price.

Castrol is not bad, neither is Valvoline. Valvoline Max Life has the highest moly count, which is what I look for.

Last edited by Jrfish007; 11-07-2005 at 01:21 PM.
Old 11-07-2005
Crayons taste like purple...

shroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Jrfish007
here is my take on synthetic oil.

The major advantage to syn oil is the oil change interval. Synthetic has some other favorable properties, but most of those properties are only good for high performance engines like in the a vet or EVO, the civic really doesn't fall under this catagory. So IMO the best bang for your buck is a decent dino oil and change it every 4,000-5,000 miles. I personally use Valvoline Max Life (which is a synthetic blend) and can be had at Wal Mart for just over $10 for 5 quarts, that's around $2 a quart, you can't buy a better oil for the price.

Castrol is not bad, neither is Valvoline. Valvoline Max Life has the highest moly count, which is what I look for.

oooookkkk mr.oil professor PHD muahaha....(remembers all the fights people start over this topic...)
Old 11-08-2005

Originally Posted by Shroomster
oooookkkk mr.oil professor PHD muahaha....(remembers all the fights people start over this topic...)
yes, there have been a few e-brawls on the oil forums. but any more as long as people back what they say with some proof, all is good Anyway, that's my opinion I can back it with stuff from oil sites like Amsoil.com and oil analysis test, but every body should do their own thinking and figure out what is best on their own.
Old 11-08-2005
Registered!!

Tbag is an unknown quantity at this point
Fact: The only true 100% Synthetic Oil is Amsoil. All the other
"Fully Sythetic" oils still have regular oil...so basically a blend. Even Mobil 1 is not 100% synthetic.

I don't use Amsoil cause it's too hard to get and the cost.

I use Mobile 1 5W20 synthetic in both my Civics and I love it.
Old 11-08-2005

RedLine is also a true synthetic, although they use an ester based process, so companies like Amsoil can say they have the only true synthetic oil becuase under Amsoils definition of oil RedLine oil is not oil... errr it's a wording thing, Red Line is also a true Full synthetic, they don't use any petro base stocks.
Old 11-11-2005
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
zen_master is on a distinguished road
ok...

i guess i'll just stick with one brand (M1) and change every 3000 miles....nuff said...everything is okay....lol
Old 11-12-2005
Registered!!

taehoshi is an unknown quantity at this point
this may be a bit off topic, but how many litres of oil are you supposed to put into a civic? i have a 1.6 L 99 LX model. i may just take the plunge into synthetics starting with my next oil change.
Old 11-12-2005
Premium Member

look in your manual? most of us have 01+ civics.
Old 11-12-2005
Registered!!

Bigfella is an unknown quantity at this point
I changed mine yesterday and used Castrol GTX Magnetec (semi synthetic) 10/40, its stupidly expensive but cheaper than an engine rebuild. Have used Castrol GTX for last ten years, had no problems. Can remember the commercials in uk saying 33% less engine wear, i believe this was scientifically proven too.
Old 11-13-2005
Crayons taste like purple...

shroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to behold
[QUOTE=taehoshi]this may be a bit off topic, but how many litres of oil are you supposed to put into a civic? i have a 1.6 L 99 LX model. i may just take the plunge into synthetics starting with my next oil change.[/QUOTE

I just used my converter thing on my phone and for that model you should use at least 3.02 litres (3.2 qts.)
Old 11-14-2005

for conversions go here:

http://www.onlineconversion.com/