Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

Do you bring your own oil and filter?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2005
Crayons taste like purple...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by JP375
What I am concerned about is if I buy a Pontiac G6 Coupe, I don't think the Pontiac dealers stock anything decent, but I could be wrong. I'm worrying about something that doesn't even matter right now....
If you buy that G6 just cuz it looks good to you.....I am sorry but no don't do it.....
and they keep advertising it as the first ever and everyone knows about first edition vehicles.....

oh and hey ajh, My honda dealership uses Castrol only...gtx, synblend, and syntec..... it varies by location...and which oil is of the most influence in the region...and/or who is willing to pay the most to supply the dealership hehe....not like it matters or anything but i'm just saying is all....

Last edited by Shroomster; 10-14-2005 at 07:52 AM.
Old 10-14-2005
My SL65 rim, because a rim is all I can afford
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by ajhdragon
dealers dont actually have the oil in quart or 5quart bottles it is in a giant machine and it is pumped throih 55 gallon drums. Dealerships will use in the car whatever is put in at the factory. So, if the factory puts mobil 1 in then they will use mobil 1, or bring your own they won't mind.

That I have to disagree on. When the engine is manufactured, they put a oil that has VERY high moly count in to help with the break in process and the oil also has an addative that helps in breaking down the grease used in manufacturing the engine. Normal oil that Honda uses has a minimal moly count and is not good for breaking in your car. I think the break in oil is a modifided version of Mobil 1, but I know you can not just go and buy it in a store and Honda dealers don't stock it. It is rather costly oil. The OEM oil that Honda uses is a synthetic blend, I think it is Castrol, but I maybe mistaken.

For those of you that like to change our oil after the first 1000 miles, you'll notice that the manual an the dealers tell you not to change your oil. This is because normal oil found in most brands does not have a sufficient moly count for the break in process. If you really want to change you oil (like I do because there could be metal shavings present) use Valvoline Max Life, it has a 5 wt% moly count and is 22% synthetic and actually makes for a good break in oil.
Old 10-14-2005
Registered!!

JP375 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Shroomster
If you buy that G6 just cuz it looks good to you.....I am sorry but no don't do it.....
and they keep advertising it as the first ever and everyone knows about first edition vehicles.....

oh and hey ajh, My honda dealership uses Castrol only...gtx, synblend, and syntec..... it varies by location...and which oil is of the most influence in the region...and/or who is willing to pay the most to supply the dealership hehe....not like it matters or anything but i'm just saying is all....
I would never buy a car just because it looks good. The G6 GTP Coupe is a decent performer and has the styling I'm looking for. The Accord coupe would be my other choice, but its just not a car that I get excited about. Granted it has a better engine, and probably better quality all around, but the overall appeal of the G6 is greater to me. I'm willing to give GM a chance, if I can find a dealership with good customer service.

See, now this oil thing is getting even more interesting. My Honda dealer uses either OEM Honda oil which I was told was manufactured by Mobil 1, or the upgrade option is full synthetic Mobil 1.

Not sure what the GM dealerhips use. I'm guessing they will have a decent synthetic oil option, but its the filter I'm most concerned about. I believe they use Delco filters for GM vehicles, not sure how good they are.
Old 10-27-2005
Registered!!

GMoore is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a lack of trust. Some places do good work but I got tired of going behind them to find out what they screwed up.
Bought a used Cherokee a few years ago. The dealership I bought it from said they serviced it, a few thousand miles later the oil change place serviced it. We were going to have a 20 degree night so I thought I would check my truck antifreeze because I recently had to replace a hose. While I was out I checked the Jeep too. Zero antifreeze, looked like a little corrosion inhibiditor was there but that's all. No drain plug on the jeep radiator, then it starts to rain, freezing rain and sleet. I'm on the driveway pulling off the bottom hose to get some out so I can put some antifreeze in.
Later Ford paid for a transmission, manual, in the truck. It burnt up 300 miles from home in the middle of nowhere, no oil. I had just gotten it serviced.
Those are my worst.
Don't trust them to do it right.
I just bought a used 03 civic from a dealership, not honda. They serviced it when they took it in. The oil was real clean but it overfilled. They had to drain and properly fill the oil before I would take delivery.
If someone else services your car learn to check what they do. Make sure you know what they are going to do.
Old 11-17-2005
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DestnationUnkwn is an unknown quantity at this point
Honda branded oil is made by ExxonMobil.
Old 11-22-2005
Registered!!

ironrat is an unknown quantity at this point
I always do my oil change, thanks!
Old 11-22-2005
Ill punch you in the face before you visit Myspace

SinaloaCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
i was told that synthetic oils in our engines would make it unreliable and if u put in lets say mobil 1 and a nice additive it would burn up the motor since its not made for synthetic....also it would automatically void the warrenty...i may be wrong but can thier be any clarification to this?

-PeTeY!! ::EM2::
Old 11-22-2005

shroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to behold
here is the clarification...that is BS...everyword you were told save for 'the' or 'synthetic' hehe...face it, if you can't put syn in a honda engine, what right do poeple driving kias and daewoo's have putting it in their engines? (bad analogy i know)
Old 11-22-2005

lol, well ur saying syn oil is ok or better for our D17 engines reason im asking is because i barely have 16k in my 04' and i wanna put syn oil in it without ****ing it up..lol this site has really helped me clarify a lot of questions and doubts so.....it would help im 17 and my dad got me the EM2 and i have to take care of it lol

Old 11-22-2005

ya btw i wasn't flaming ya....anyways no problems with putting synthetic oil in your car...all the problems of olden times with using synthetic oil are jsut that...problems of olden times...cars and oils have come a long way in the past 15-20 years..as long as you're not dumping synthetic in an old beater in the hopes of it miraculously fixing any and all engine problems then you're fine....the only things you should note from syno oil to synthetic are READ VERY CAREFULLY the packages or do your research on your oil,not everyone is 100% they can get away with saying SYNTHETIC in big letters but jsut mean the additives are synthetic. you can or cannot increase your increments between changes its all up to you and your driving habits. don't make a big deal out of synthetic vs. dyno vs. semi-syn....as long as you change the oil the car will be drivable (from an oil/lubrication standpoint not entire vehicle.)

WOOT!
Old 11-22-2005

oh ok and mobil 1 is the best one right??? well i think ill just look that up on here...anywho thx