Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance)
-   -   Do you bring your own oil and filter? (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance/230766-do-you-bring-your-own-oil-filter.html)

JP375 10-07-2005 03:01 PM

Do you bring your own oil and filter?

For those of you who get your oil changed at a quick lube place or a dealership, do you ever bring your own oil and filter? If so, do the establishments have any problem with this? Right now with my civic, I get my oil changed at a Honda dealership, so I'm not real concerned, but as I'm thinking of getting a GM vehicle, I would want to bring a higher quality oil and filter along to the dealership for the service intervals, as I'm not a big fan of their OEM products. Just wondering if anyone has ever brought there own, perhaps this is nuts and the dealership would laugh at me....

streetglower 10-07-2005 04:23 PM

now its one thing to bring your own filter to a shop, but its another to bring your own oil and filter, specially to the dealer. IMO, thats stupid. If you buy your own oil and filter, you might as well do the oil change yourself. But most shops give you a choice on the kind of oil you use. Most have regular and synthetic oils available.

JP375 10-07-2005 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by streetglower
now its one thing to bring your own filter to a shop, but its another to bring your own oil and filter, specially to the dealer. IMO, thats stupid. If you buy your own oil and filter, you might as well do the oil change yourself. But most shops give you a choice on the kind of oil you use. Most have regular and synthetic oils available.

Yes, but if you live in a small apartment in the middle of the city, you can't exactly change your own oil. I have nowhere I could change my oil properly. What if the dealer doesn't offer the oil you would like to use, but you still want to go to the dealer to have the rest of the service done? Most dealerhips only have OEM oil and some other synthetic. I don't want to turn this into a "what oil is best" and "one is as good as another" so lets not even go there. Anyone else have some input?

stinkypie 10-07-2005 04:47 PM

I work at a dealership(Honda, Mitsu, Toyota, and Nissan on this lot) and people bring in their own oil/filter all the time with no problem. I know for a fact our GM(downtown), Ford/Chrysler(hartford, ky), and south lot all do the same. Most places have a different price if their just doing the labor part of the oil change.

Kyle23 10-07-2005 04:49 PM

I think it would b ok to do this. Then they would just charge u for labor and not the oil/filter since u brought it. That would be cool if u used Mobli 1 / Royal Purple/ or something and didnt want to use the OEM stuff.

orion_squall 10-07-2005 05:13 PM

they would allowed you. The problem is now you pay more, because they won't deduct the oli and filter price in the whole deal.

JP375 10-07-2005 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by orion_squall
they would allowed you. The problem is now you pay more, because they won't deduct the oli and filter price in the whole deal.

hmmm....they should, as this is usually under materials and is completely seperate from labor. I see why they wouldn't though, because I would imagine they have a high margin on materials.

orion_squall 10-07-2005 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by JP375
hmmm....they should, as this is usually under materials and is completely seperate from labor. I see why they wouldn't though, because I would imagine they have a high margin on materials.

Depends, some dealer offers the "20$ oil change deal", it includes all. If they try to substract material fee, the they can only charge you 5$ because honda oil and filer is 15$ as list price. It is not possible.

If you bring you oil, they would charge you 20$ for 1/2 hour labor instead.

Depends on the dealer, just ask them.

mugenman 10-07-2005 07:09 PM

i usually just tell the place that im at that i want the good stuff

gotarheels03 10-07-2005 10:49 PM

why would it be stupid to bring your own oil and filter? They'll charge you more for the 4 quarts of oil than It'll cost for you to buy them at pepboys. And if you want synthetic they they'll really rape you. Try ~$7.50-8/qt when you can buy it for under $5. I change my own oil, but during winter I bring it in, and always bring my own oil / filter. Plus by bringing exactly the right amount of oil they wont overfill it. Ive had times where shops overfilled a whole quart, and I ended up having to drain it myself at home.

zen_master 10-08-2005 12:14 AM

then u go to walmart.

bring ur own oil and filter..

MajinB 10-08-2005 12:31 AM

um i have a suggestion...if you live in an apartment and i know they won't let you work on the car there, you could find a mechanic and talk to him. ask if you could use the garage lift for 20 minutes. my best friends mom has a 64.5 white stang and she does alot of the work on it. her mechanic does work on it too, but he lets her use the lift. got a mechanic?

dtexan 10-08-2005 01:02 AM

The only problem with this is how do you know they really put the oil you brought in your car. I wouldnt be suprised if they kept it and put the regular stuff in

JP375 10-08-2005 01:12 AM

^^^ I guess you would have to hope that they weren't that damn crooked. I could see some crappy quick lube place doing it, but any dealership should have slightly better morals than that.

And MajinB, no mechanic friends. No lift use available. Besides, I don't really want to do the work...

DDragon7 10-08-2005 10:19 AM

How about changing ur oil at ur friend's?

CenZ 10-08-2005 10:44 AM

or a empty parking. people do that all the time by me. i just do it in my street but ive dropped my tranny in a parking lot on my other car. (didnt want anything on my driveway)

JP375 10-08-2005 10:59 AM

I think some people are missing the point. I don't really want to do the work myself. Well, I do, but only if I had a nice garage to work on the car. It sounds like its not all that unusual for people to bring their own oil and filter though. So if the dealership is decent, I imagine I won't have any problems.

Al Gore FTW 10-08-2005 11:44 AM

i wouldnt see a problem with that

shroomster 10-11-2005 01:53 PM

Only problem i've ever encountered is the know-it-all who goes to autozone...doesn't ask questions..isn't properly informed...and brings me a diesel filter for a hyundai accent... don't be a dum-dum...get the right filter and there won't be a problem...or the tranny filter for a mid 90's saturn

NOT FLAMING YOU JUST TELLING WHATS HAPPENED TO ME...

oh and those idjits who have BMW's and MERCEDES....those filters all start looking alike...but it's always best to make sure you're getting what you pay for....

OH yeah to answer your question...we also jsut charge labor rate for the oil change if ya got your own filter and oil...but check out what you're paying for the filter and oil and compare it to what you'd pay at the shop....sometimes it's better to let them use their oil and filter..lessen you like a certain filter...I know here @ Wal-mart...hehe...you'll pay more for an oil change if you buy your own filter and oil...our labor rate is like 7.90 or something and the dino oil change is 19.28..soooo buy 4 qts of synthetic..@ $4.50/qt and a 4-7 dollar filter....you'll save cuz the syn change is 31.58 for in house PLUS you can choose your brand......anyways....

slicksivik 10-12-2005 02:02 PM

i just go to the place and pick what i want. its 32 for cheap, 38 for name brand, 45 for reg syn, 52 for mobil 1. its a quick lube so its drive right over and its the only place i go cuz its easy for a lowered car and the only palce that has an inground hole that u dont have to worry about arack with.

streetglower 10-12-2005 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by slicksivik
i just go to the place and pick what i want. its 32 for cheap, 38 for name brand, 45 for reg syn, 52 for mobil 1. its a quick lube so its drive right over and its the only place i go cuz its easy for a lowered car and the only palce that has an inground hole that u dont have to worry about arack with.

yea see those prices are way too much. For $25 I can get mobil 1 oil and a filter. And that is still less then what that shop charges for a oil change with regular oil. Its more cost effective to do it yourself.

JP375 10-12-2005 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by streetglower
yea see those prices are way too much. For $25 I can get mobil 1 oil and a filter. And that is still less then what that shop charges for a oil change with regular oil. Its more cost effective to do it yourself.

You can't always do it yourself though. No shop, no garage, no friends with garage or shop, 0 degrees and snowing outside. A shop is the only option for MANY people.

streetglower 10-12-2005 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by JP375
You can't always do it yourself though. No shop, no garage, no friends with garage or shop, 0 degrees and snowing outside. A shop is the only option for MANY people.

I totally understand. I know not everyone is compitent or has the tools or area to work in.

shroomster 10-12-2005 07:41 PM

I do have one idea for you though COUPONS!!....or at least see if they honor competitor's prices...cuz damn they're ass-raping you if you get mobil... IMO anything over 40 (synthetic) is too much.....

Jrfish007 10-13-2005 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Shroomster
I do have one idea for you though COUPONS!!....or at least see if they honor competitor's prices...cuz damn they're ass-raping you if you get mobil... IMO anything over 40 (synthetic) is too much.....

I have to pay around $50 for an oil change with synthetic... but I always do it my self.... stupid 7 quart engine

jhonsok 10-13-2005 11:34 AM

hmm..you shouldnt have too much trouble bringing that stuff to the dealership..if i was one of hte mechanics..i wouldnt really give a crap..hah.

shroomster 10-13-2005 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Jrfish007
I have to pay around $50 for an oil change with synthetic... but I always do it my self.... stupid 7 quart engine

YEah you're right...I should rephrase what I said...If you have a 3 to 5 quart capacity engine...payingn anything over $40 is outrageous....I feel for ya on the F-series... just be glad it isn't a diesel.... damn things with their 14-15 qts...and if ya put 5w40 synthetic in it...god I think it is like 60 or so....

ajhdragon 10-13-2005 04:41 PM

i know that at honda they use mobil 1 and they also have synthetic if you ask for it. so why bring your own oil?

JP375 10-13-2005 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by ajhdragon
i know that at honda they use mobil 1 and they also have synthetic if you ask for it. so why bring your own oil?

I'm not concerned with going to Honda. Right now I buy the mobil 1 synthetic for my civic at the dealership. Its about $57 for an oil change. Its a bit much, but I don't care because they have excellent customer service which I am willing to pay more for. What I am concerned about is if I buy a Pontiac G6 Coupe, I don't think the Pontiac dealers stock anything decent, but I could be wrong. I'm worrying about something that doesn't even matter right now....

ajhdragon 10-14-2005 12:19 AM

dealers dont actually have the oil in quart or 5quart bottles it is in a giant machine and it is pumped throih 55 gallon drums. Dealerships will use in the car whatever is put in at the factory. So, if the factory puts mobil 1 in then they will use mobil 1, or bring your own they won't mind.