Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

changing tranny filter

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005
fah
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fah is an unknown quantity at this point
changing tranny filter

i just bought a 2001 jdm civic it has gone 71,000km and i wanted to service the transmission. i some times get a little shuddering when i move off from a stop. and i hear a slight screaching sound when i start the car when its cold, and once in a while when i'm moving off and making a turn at the same time. other than that it drives ok

other than changing the oil i was told that there's a filter inside the transmission which i also want to change since i'm not sure how often the previous owner service the tranny. i have search endlessly for a right up on how to change this filter but cant seem to find one. is there just one filter inside? because i also heard some of the transmissions carry two filters a small one and a big one.

how easy is it to change this filter? can i just remove the tranny oil sump and unbolt and remove/replace the filter?

please any assistance/info would be helpful.

Last edited by fah; 10-26-2005 at 04:04 PM.
Old 10-26-2005
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
the only way to get at the filter in the tranny is to remove the tranny and pull it apart. With the auto trannies, its just a procedure to drain and refill the tranny. they dont have sump pans on it, usually ony rear wheel drive vehicles will have the sump pan on the tranny. But front wheel drive transaxles just have a magnetic bolt you remove to drain the fluid. The magnet on the bolt will pick up most metal shavings and what not in the tranny. Just clean it off when you reinstall it and refill with fluid and your good to go. Same as with ther manaul tranny. Just a small difference on the way to change the fluid.
Old 10-26-2005
My SL65 rim, because a rim is all I can afford
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
difference in fluid too. IF you do have an auto make sure to stick with Honda fluid, members here seem to have problems when using aftermarket brands.

What do you mean JDM civic? you had it imported from Japan, it's right hand drive and all?
Old 10-27-2005
fah
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Jrfish007
What do you mean JDM civic? you had it imported from Japan, it's right hand drive and all?
yes jdm = japanese domestic market

i'm not in the US. i'm from jamaica we import alot of cars directly from japan.
my civic is right hand drive and comes with the D15B3 SOHC vtec engine.

well i decide not to change the filter but to carry the car to the dealer to have it flushed, since i'm not sure what type of oil the previous owner was using, hope this solves the problems i'm having.
Old 10-27-2005
My SL65 rim, because a rim is all I can afford
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by fah
yes jdm = japanese domestic market

i'm not in the US. i'm from jamaica we import alot of cars directly from japan.
my civic is right hand drive and comes with the D15B3 SOHC vtec engine.

well i decide not to change the filter but to carry the car to the dealer to have it flushed, since i'm not sure what type of oil the previous owner was using, hope this solves the problems i'm having.

that's the 3 phase VTEC motor that gets good MPG... wish I could get that motor... nice car

But yeah, tranny on FWD car are a pain to work on.
Old 10-30-2005
Crayons taste like purple...

shroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to behold
Screw all ya'll...I'm getting off this phallus-shaped peninsula and heading to Jamaica...

Feel the Rhythm
Feel The Pride
Come On Crew
It's bobsled Time!!!
Old 11-03-2005
fah
Registered!!

ok i flushed the tranny at the dealer but i'm still hearing a screaching sound on start up (short chirps) when the car is cold and agian after a while of driving when the tranny gets warmed up when moving off from a stop occassionally.

do you guys think the clutch is probably going?

well i plan to change the filter to see if it makes a difference.
Old 11-03-2005
Crayons taste like purple...

shroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to behold
chirping is most likely p.s. belt...90% of chirping noise...especially on start up
Old 11-04-2005
fah
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Shroomster
chirping is most likely p.s. belt...90% of chirping noise...especially on start up
thats the first thing i checked .... but the noise was coming from the transmission. i think that if the filter in partly blocked it will slow down the oil circulation process with the tranny threfore creating an insufficient oil flow or low oil pressure within the tranny and this should also make the tranny run hotter.

so i changed the filter last night drove it to work this morning and i didnt hear anything as yet ...the real test is when i'm going home in traffic thats when i usually hear it....i guess thats when the tranny really gets hot.
Old 11-04-2005
fah
Registered!!

Originally Posted by streetglower
the only way to get at the filter in the tranny is to remove the tranny and pull it apart. With the auto trannies, its just a procedure to drain and refill the tranny. they dont have sump pans on it, usually ony rear wheel drive vehicles will have the sump pan on the tranny.
Correction....

my 2000 JDM civic (usdm 2001 shape) b15b3 sohc vtec tranny carries a sump pan. if i recall right it is held up by 14 x 10mm bolts. once the pan is removed the filter is vissible and bolted to the bottom of the tranny. it is mounted to the tranny by 2 x 10mm bolts. once these bolts are removed the filter can easily be removed and replaced with new filter.

i would personally recommend that if you change your tranny oil, you also change the tranny filter.
Old 11-06-2005
Registered!!

Huney is an unknown quantity at this point
Tranny filter

"once the pan is removed the filter is vissible and bolted to the bottom of the tranny. it is mounted to the tranny by 2 x 10mm bolts. once these bolts are removed the filter can easily be removed and replaced with new filter."

Right on. I don't think any tranny mfgr would put the filter where you had to remove the whole transmission and "tear it apart" to get to the filter. Naah, . . . just don't make good sense. You said you think your filter may be partially clogged up but I can't think of anything in the tranny to clog it except the tranny parts and if you pull it down and there's filings or whatever on it then it's time to rebuild it. Then to the oil might be real old or someone used the wrong kind so a trip to the dealer for a flush and refill with the right fluid seems a good idea. I wouldn't keep driving it because when you take the filter out you may find filings that could wear down parts that are OK now and a good auto tranny mech can tell exactly where the filings came from. One thing for sure, it's talking to you and the shuddering and screeching sounds are telling you it is very unhappy, so fix it and make it happy.
Old 11-07-2005
fah
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Huney

You said you think your filter may be partially clogged up but I can't think of anything in the tranny to clog it except the tranny parts and if you pull it down and there's filings or whatever on it then it's time to rebuild it.
i heard that the clutch mechanism inside the tranny tends to leave a powdery deposit which can result in clogging the filter.

can anyone confirm this?
Old 11-10-2005
fah
Registered!!

i'm still hearing the screeching sound upon cold start up and it seems to be getting louder. i also hear it sometimes when moving off after drive for about 45mins.
Old 11-21-2005
fah
Registered!!

my transmission also carries a inline filter in one of the tranny oil cooler lines that run to the radiator....that was also changed.
Old 11-22-2005
Registered!!

igetmadchocha is an unknown quantity at this point
ohh i see wow