Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

Mechanics and techs alike....

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005
Crayons taste like purple...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to behold
Mechanics and techs alike....

In your opinion what is the hardest car to change an oil filter on?

these are my nominees for bastard engines so far....
1.late 90's (around 97-99) cavalier 2.2 behind the engine under the ECU next to the exhaust
2.Lexus IS300 sport wagon underside exiting exhaust and tucked under it
3.almost any new toyota or lexus with the factory filter and you have no tools...:-( just your hands
4. ANY DIESEL!!! with all that splashback

and since this is a HONDA Civic site I'd have to say of he honda's the worst are the new Ivtec's in the elements and the pilots where it is tucked up above the axle (which has more than once done what a 20 buck wax job would do to my arms)
Old 09-13-2005
My SL65 rim, because a rim is all I can afford
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
HAHAHA... I'm glad to see diesels made on the list... The hardest part about the diesel though is buying all the oil to put in it. I remember our old power stroke used 12 quarts of oil.

Last edited by Jrfish007; 09-13-2005 at 10:39 PM.
Old 09-13-2005

shroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Jrfish007
HAHAHA... I'm glad to see diesels made on the list... The hardest part about the diesel though is buy all the oil to put in it. I remember our old ower stroke used 12 quarts of oil.

hey has honda ever tried their hand at a diesel?
Old 09-13-2005

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Shroomster
hey has honda ever tried their hand at a diesel?

Yeah, I believe they made deisel civic for the euro market. Not sure if they actually made the engine or just contracted it out to others though. If I remember right it was pretty good, got something like 50+ MPG.
Old 09-13-2005
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thefivespeeder is a jewel in the roughthefivespeeder is a jewel in the roughthefivespeeder is a jewel in the rough
yea those toyota/lexus with the filter on the front of the block below the header suck
Old 09-14-2005
my vtec brings all the girls to the yard

mrDFWmechanic will become famous soon enough
thats the same setups as the Kseries engines i love burning my arms all the freakin time. some porches are a pain as well
Old 09-15-2005

I jsut found a new filter to hate....the 86 nissan maxima....above the catalytic converter...reach over the axle shaft....like the damn thing is sitting in a pocket

Last edited by Shroomster; 09-15-2005 at 10:50 AM.
Old 09-15-2005
Bobaganoosh!

Pharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud of
Yeah, I believe they made deisel civic for the euro market. Not sure if they actually made the engine or just contracted it out to others though. If I remember right it was pretty good, got something like 50+ MPG.
yeah they have a turbo diesel civic in the UK...****, they have like 14 different variants of the Civic over there...my friend sent me the brochure...it's a damn hardcover book..lol
Old 09-22-2005
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
fuken Volkswagens. The damn filter looks so easy to get to, but you have to pull the splash guard, move around the coolant return and the oil cooler lines to get it. Such a pain in the ***. I have scars on my forearms from trying to get that bastard out.
Old 09-24-2005
my vtec brings all the girls to the yard

mrDFWmechanic will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by thefivespeeder
yea those toyota/lexus with the filter on the front of the block below the header suck
i recently had a lexus RX330 pull into the shop and yea it is a pain to get the oil filters, gotta take off the splash guard and lower bumper guard and i reached up and got a handful of hot header i loved it
Old 10-03-2005
Registered!!

Pn0ybOiLiKehOy is on a distinguished road
some older buicks have the fliter above the front axle so u would either have to take the wheel off or just hella reach around and ****
Old 10-03-2005

Originally Posted by Pn0ybOiLiKehOy
some older buicks have the fliter above the front axle so u would either have to take the wheel off or just hella reach around and ****

actually you're referring to the 3800 motor...that crap fest of the gm family had the filter on the passenger side of the fron axle above the frame you can reach up through the v-shape and pull it off but yeah like ya said it is not fun .....
Old 10-03-2005

Originally Posted by thefivespeeder

never did reply to this...get a kevlar burn sleeve and reach from the right side behind the exhaust and you get more leverage if you have a filter wrench hehe

all the 90's model 4 cylinder toyotas with the i think (4-efe engine?) are ghey to a point the baby tacoma's that look like mighty max's were stupid....
Old 10-03-2005

ahh just realized another bad one...northstar engines circa 91-97 i think...with the filter up top and at an angle kinda slanted...like the volkswagens....

oooooh and the nissan pickup hardbody....less i already said it...thats a wheel well digger right there...
Old 10-03-2005

ncirom2003 will become famous soon enough
i hate oil changes in general......... so gay.

but yes the toyota camry (circa mid 90's) sux cus its under the mani.
trucks often suck and id say if i ever owned a car with one hard to get to, id buy the relocation kit and make it so its in my glove box....... lol
Old 10-03-2005
jdmtytedoridori

Al Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of light
on the other hand....the new toyota 4.0l v6 that's in the 4runner/tacoma/tundrav6 has the easiest to change....right on top

its right under that cover to the right of where the toyota logo is.
Old 10-04-2005

I finally did my F150, it's right behond the front bumper. And since it sets so high, you don't need to jack it up, just bend down (not even lay down) and reach under the bumper and turn so nice to bad the drian plug isn't so nice.
Old 10-04-2005
Registered!!

cpayne5 is an unknown quantity at this point
My 4Runner has that engine, and I must say that having the filter right on top is nice. I just did the first oil change to the tC and its also pretty easy. The filter is right between the pan and the front bumper on the passengers side.
Old 10-04-2005
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thefivespeeder is a jewel in the roughthefivespeeder is a jewel in the roughthefivespeeder is a jewel in the rough
I finally did my F150, it's right behond the front bumper. And since it sets so high, you don't need to jack it up, just bend down (not even lay down) and reach under the bumper and turn so nice to bad the drian plug isn't so nice.
yea untill you get into a small 'fender bender' and there is oil over the street same thing on the navigator

it sucks if you have to do an engine flush too because it comes out like water and usually the drain pan is in the wrong position for it
Old 10-04-2005
jdmtytedoridori

Al Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of light
^ american engineering for ya
Old 10-04-2005
Registered!!

kroysc is an unknown quantity at this point
I dunno what honda was thinking when they decided to put the filter there on most of their 4 bangers. Its the one main complaint I've always had. At least on 5th gen Civics you could reach it from the top.

The first time I changed the filter on my 01 I reached down there from the top and got my forearm stuck for 15 minutes. I had to call my bud on my cell phone to come over to help me out. He had to spray down my arm with white lithium greese to pull it out. I'm never gonna live that one down.

Dodge trucks are usually the easiest. Nothing in the way at all right at the front.
Old 10-07-2005
Registered!!

gotarheels03 is an unknown quantity at this point
Toyota Corollas with 4A/7A-FE engines. The Filters not that hard to get to, but its tucked behind the driver side corner of the exhaust mani heat shield. I burnt myself many times with my old corolla. The D17 Civics are in a bad spot just because oil drips all over everything.

Oh and old Porsche 911's (Mid 70's) are a pain. They also take a rediculous amount of oil and have to be drained from 2 different spots.
Old 10-07-2005
"mmmBAHHHH" - vtec y0

mugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond repute
hmmm my friend was struggling with a toyota seiena the other day so i guess that would be a hard one
Old 10-08-2005
7thGen Blacked Out Crew

black05civic is an unknown quantity at this point
Anyone ever changed the oil on a Mazda MX3? That is a bitch to get too. It was on the block recessed about inches, stuck right up under the intake manifold. My hand could not get up there, no strap wrench could get up there. So, took it t mazda and they said that you have to take the IM off. What kind of bullshit?
Old 10-08-2005
jdmtytedoridori

Originally Posted by black05civic
Anyone ever changed the oil on a Mazda MX3? That is a bitch to get too. It was on the block recessed about inches, stuck right up under the intake manifold. My hand could not get up there, no strap wrench could get up there. So, took it t mazda and they said that you have to take the IM off. What kind of bullshit?
hahahahaha, thats ridiculous. was it the 1.8L v6 or the 4banger?
Old 10-08-2005
7thGen Blacked Out Crew

black05civic is an unknown quantity at this point
The 4cylinder man. I still got it. I use it as a fwd rally car out in the country where my grandparents live.
Old 10-08-2005

Originally Posted by black05civic
The 4cylinder man. I still got it. I use it as a fwd rally car out in the country where my grandparents live.

damn forgot about those mazdas...specially the same engine in the early 90's miata...and damn toyota and their Rear mount MR2