Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

post your mileage

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
civic-king is an unknown quantity at this point
oh i forgot to post......i use 89 octane mostly, unless i'm real poor!
Old 09-15-2005
Registered!!

krazyboi is an unknown quantity at this point
-what vehicle is it? (include year, make, model, auto/manual?)
04 civic lx sedan auto 27500 mi. 25-28 mpg
-what grade gasoline? (IE: 87 reg, 89 plus, etc)
87 reg, tried shell's 93 vpower once
-how are your driving habits? (granny, tracking, fairly hard, highway, city, include details)
normally, i drive just a little bit over the speed limit with lots of medium/hard accelerations.
i took a few road trips with this car, the longest one being 1300 miles round trip. that trip included a lot of hill and mountain roads. me and my friends had a blast flyin through those crazy turns on Newfound Gap Road(anybody been there?). we averaged a decent 27 mpg on that trip. i was a bit dissapointed at that low mpg because i upgraded a couple things(sparkies, air filter, reg oil to synth) on the vic before the trip hoping it would raise my mpg over 30. =/
-what are your mods (only state the mods that could affect mileage IE: intake, exhaust, wheels, etc)
denso iridium spark plugs(dunno if that affects mileage), k&n high flow air filter, my 12" sub+amp weighs a good amount
-what grade motor oil was used when this record of mileage was counted? (IE: 5w-20/5w-30/etc)
i got my first oil change at 5.5k mi. at jiffy lube...dunno what they used. probably 5w-20, right? i got two more changes (at 10k, 13k) at jiffy lube. then, after researching on this site, i started buying my own oil(mobil 1 5w-20 full synthetic) and oil filter(tried k&n and mobil 1) and took it to a auto shop that charged me $12.50 to put it in for me(at 17k, 23k). Yesterday, I bought some ramps, an oil drain pan, a funnel, some mobil 1 10w-30 extended performance, and a mobil 1 extended performance oil filter. oh yea, i also got the FRAM easy oil drain plug kit thing. anyways, i looked up the DIY for oil change on this site and i performed my first oil change all by myself! it was quite exciting...except for the part where hot oil SPILLED ALL OVER my hands =/. ah well, i don't have to worry bout that anymore now that i have that FRAM plug installed. =).
-tips/advice on how to save gas or anything else that is neccesary!
well...i didn't notice much of a change in the mpg after installing the sparkies, the air filter, and switching to synth. nor did i see any change when i switched from the k&n oil filter to the mobil 1 oil filter. I'm not sure how my mpg will be affected with the new M1 EP 10w-30 oil and M1 EP filter in there now. i can definitely feel the change from the 5w-20 to the 10w-30. 10w-30 is so much thicker. hopefully my mpg won't go down too much... anyways, if you accelerate med/hard all the time like i do, you will have shitty mpg just like me!
Old 09-15-2005
Registered!!

Iamk1t is an unknown quantity at this point
02 Civic EX Coupe AT

87 + FP60

Cruised at 70 from Santa Clara to Orange County, total trip was 396 miles, I had occasional spurts to 90mph to get around big rigs, but 90% of the time was crusing at 70. I filled up again and the clicker shut off at 9.1 gallon. That's roughly 43.5 mpg. Highest I have ever gotten, but the trip did take longer than it has ever taken It normally takes me under 5 hours, but this time it took about 6. I might be off by maybe 1~2 mpg because I obviously couldn't use the same pump that I last filled up at.

AEM SRI

Castrol GTX 5w-20

Cruise Control and coast to red lights. Don't use your brakes going down hill

Last edited by Iamk1t; 09-15-2005 at 01:43 PM.
Old 09-15-2005
Owned By Slo Rex

Day_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questioned
-what vehicle is it? 2003 Honda Civic Coupe Ex 40k

-what grade gasoline? 87 Reg

-how are your driving habits? Fair mix of highway and city miles

-what are your mods? 17" Ro_Ja Rims I think that's all I have that might affect Mileage

-what grade motor oil was used when this record of mileage was counted? Whatever the dealer puts in it

-tips/advice on how to save gas or anything else that is neccesary! ok this is common sense but if you are lighter on the gas, your mileage will be better
Old 09-15-2005
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

k20txem2 is an unknown quantity at this point
-what vehicle is it? 01 Honda Civic Ex/Type R
get about 22 mpg in city *not driving like a maniac* 25 mpg on the freeway going 80.

-what grade gasoline? 93 *supposed to be 94.5 but cant find that*

-how are your driving habits? driving habbits huh? To include, sliding my car without trays, drag strip, circuts, hiway, city, mostly fast and hard, but i do, do my sare of granny driving.

-what are your mods (only state the mods that could affect mileage IE: k20A swap, AEM SRI, Apexi World II exsaust, RS limited 16' rims, and nitto 205/55/r16's

-what grade motor oil was used when this record of mileage was counted? 5w30 Castrol Syntec
Old 09-15-2005
My SL65 rim, because a rim is all I can afford

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
Another car for me

28-30 normal driving
38-40 on highway.

1994 Acura Integra GSR... auto's don't do well at 8,000 RPMS

-how are your driving habits? (granny, tracking, fairly hard, highway, city, include details)
bat out of H*** on the ramps

-what are your mods (only state the mods that could affect mileage IE: intake, exhaust, wheels, etc)
removed the resinator (fell off actually) and soon to be headers

-what grade motor oil was used when this record of mileage was counted? (IE: 5w-20/5w-30/etc)
Valvoline Max Life 5w30 (use what the freakin manufacture says to, that 5w30 for me, thicker oils help nothing)

Don't buy a DOHC VTEC with secondary intake tracks if you want to save gas, but it's still better than my 18 MPG F150
Old 09-15-2005
Bone Stock!

dalaw is an unknown quantity at this point
Best: 40.9 MPG (85% 55-65 mph highway, 30 miles per trip, with 50% a/c)
Worst: 28 MPG (extreme city driving, frequent redlining and short trip)
Lifetime average: ~33 MPG

2003 Honda Civic LX sedan auto 27,000 miles, no mods at all

87 reg gasoline

granny and highway driving

Wheels: 33 psi on Dunlop SP40 185/70R14

Oil: Valvoline SynPower full synthetic 5W-20

Tips: drive as slow as you can on the highway, keep rpm below 3000 as much as possible.

Last edited by dalaw; 09-15-2005 at 06:18 PM.
Old 09-15-2005
Registered!!

Corsair is an unknown quantity at this point
Best- 41 MPG - half everyday driving and half a race to Roade Island @ about 95 MPH the entire way
Worst- 32 MPG - Going like a bat out of hell no matter what.
2005 Honda Civic LX Coupe Manual

87 reg. If they sold something cheaper, I'd buy that.

Right now, as fuel efficient as possible. I try and shift before I hit 3,000 RPM

None.

Castrol GTX 5w-20

I posted this in another thread but since you're asking:

To Everyone: Do NOT buy any kind of 'fuel saving' device. Last month's issue of Popular Mechanics did an article on several (all different types and brands) and NONE improved fuel economy or boosted hp. I can't find the article for the exact quote but the basic conclusion was that your engine already burns 99% of the fuel it uses. The other 1% is partially burned fuel that is broken down in the catalytic converter. Even if we could get it up to 100%, that would only give a 1% increase in fuel economy and hp. Not really worth it, if you ask me. The only way to improve fuel economy and hp is to change how the engine transfers the stored energy in the fuel into kinetic energy (the car moving). In other words, you're already getting 30-something MPG with your Civic instead of 3 MPG like with those huge SUVs.

Last edited by Corsair; 09-15-2005 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Left out some 411
Old 09-16-2005

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Corsair
I posted this in another thread but since you're asking:

To Everyone: Do NOT buy any kind of 'fuel saving' device. Last month's issue of Popular Mechanics did an article on several (all different types and brands) and NONE improved fuel economy or boosted hp. I can't find the article for the exact quote but the basic conclusion was that your engine already burns 99% of the fuel it uses. The other 1% is partially burned fuel that is broken down in the catalytic converter. Even if we could get it up to 100%, that would only give a 1% increase in fuel economy and hp. Not really worth it, if you ask me. The only way to improve fuel economy and hp is to change how the engine transfers the stored energy in the fuel into kinetic energy (the car moving). In other words, you're already getting 30-something MPG with your Civic instead of 3 MPG like with those huge SUVs.

Hummm... well I don't know how much they know about chemistry, but you actually only burn about 85-90% of your fuel in the engine. And if you can burn say 99% you will get about 150% of your current MPG (notice it's not a 1 to 1 correlation, volumetric efficiency and all that play a huge roll). I personally have tuned civics to get well into the 50 MPG range consistently by leaning the motor out. Current motors run way rich compared to the stoichiometric amounts of air needed, hence wasting fuel. Why do they do this? If you ran perfectly stoichiometric ratios, you will produce HUGE amounts on NOx and CO, hence be a HUGE pollutant. There are ways to save gas, but I have yet to see an effective one.

I did not read this article, but the only way they can know if your car is burning 99% of the fuel is to stick a mass spectrometer of some analyzing device between the engine and the cat. Did they do this?

BTW: please do try and simply leaning your motor out to get better MPG. There are LOTS of modifications that are needed to do this properly because far more heat is generated, PLEASE do not try this on your car unless you know what you are doing and have money to blow.
Old 09-16-2005
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
I wonder if they did a study on lubecontrol fp60? Cause I get 4mpg higher when I use that and my a/f is still VERY rich like 13:1. I'm waiting till mods are on to retune-dyno. I'm thinking since the additive decreases emissions by up to 30%, I'll be good running close to the ideal ratio later.
Old 09-16-2005
Registered!!

JohnH is an unknown quantity at this point
Gearbox, did you ever find out what the active ingredient in FP60 is? Their website says it contains a solvent. Which one?
Old 09-16-2005
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
no they wont say and its not on the bottle. All I can tell from the hazard stuff is that its some kind of alcohol.
Old 09-16-2005
Registered!!

JohnH is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks.
Old 09-16-2005
Premium Member

yea i can take a pic of the label if you like.
Old 09-17-2005

Originally Posted by gearbox
I wonder if they did a study on lubecontrol fp60? Cause I get 4mpg higher when I use that and my a/f is still VERY rich like 13:1. I'm waiting till mods are on to retune-dyno. I'm thinking since the additive decreases emissions by up to 30%, I'll be good running close to the ideal ratio later.
Nope, the few people who I know that have broken it down are not allowed to disclose what they have found. They can only give thumbs up or down, and they gave it the thumbs up. So no, I'm not sure what it has in it

I used it to pass my e-check
Old 09-17-2005

Originally Posted by JohnH
Gearbox, did you ever find out what the active ingredient in FP60 is? Their website says it contains a solvent. Which one?

The solvent is not generally an active ingredient, although it may contain some favorable properties if it is soemthing like an alchol, which would make since since water hopefully isn't the solvent.
Old 09-22-2005
Registered!!

JCiv03 is on a distinguished road
Not sure on the MPG, but I got 433 miles on my last tank. About 410 miles when the gas light came on.

- 2003 Honda Civic LX. 5Spd
- 87 regular
- Granny driving
- No engine mods. 17 inch wheels (about 18 lbs?). about 35 PSI on the tires.

Tips: Drive slowly on the freeway. I drove around 65 MPH. If the distance isn't too far, driving slowly will only increase your trip by 2-3 minutes.
Old 09-27-2005
Registered!!

drjvic04 is on a distinguished road
I ran out of gas at 345miles. Ever since then my MPG has taken a dump.
I have 20K on the car and no mods. I use 89 from 76 and I still get horrible gas mileage. If I knew it was gonna be this bad I would of gotten something much faster.

Right now I have a 1/4 of a tank left and I have gone 190miles so far. This blows. My tire pressure is always good, and I do regular oil changes with 5-20 syn. I just changed the air filter last month. Mostly mixed highway and city driving. My car is a 5-speed.

Any help would be great. Please advise
Old 09-27-2005

Originally Posted by drjvic04
I ran out of gas at 345miles. Ever since then my MPG has taken a dump.
I have 20K on the car and no mods. I use 89 from 76 and I still get horrible gas mileage. If I knew it was gonna be this bad I would of gotten something much faster.

Right now I have a 1/4 of a tank left and I have gone 190miles so far. This blows. My tire pressure is always good, and I do regular oil changes with 5-20 syn. I just changed the air filter last month. Mostly mixed highway and city driving. My car is a 5-speed.

Any help would be great. Please advise

Change your fuel filter.
Old 09-27-2005
Registered!!

bluestreak is an unknown quantity at this point
^ something's wrong w/ your car...I'm pushing 100K and I just filled up 5 minutes ago with 500 miles and 11.9 gallons of gas. That's averaging like 42 MPG....I love my civic!!!
Old 09-27-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Jrfish007
Change your fuel filter.

Shouldn't that be under warrenty?
Old 09-27-2005
Registered!!

bluestreak is an unknown quantity at this point
^NO, it's just like brakes, tires, air filter, etc....general maintaince...
Old 10-11-2005
Registered!!

Okay I figured out why it was getting such bad mileage...ME!

Bad driving habits. Braking with the car in gear, cruising around 40mph in third gear, fast acceleration(fast for this car). But damn I lost like 80 miles per tank driving like this. These cars are so picky.
Old 10-25-2005
Registered!!

chadhumm is an unknown quantity at this point
why..just because you take classes does a person think they cant be wrong..giving them the right to be rude to others. I'm new to the forum and am looking for tip to improve gas mileage in a Honda civic I will be getting at weeks end. Has anyone tried k&n air filters or Denso iridium plugs. Thank you
Old 10-25-2005

Originally Posted by chadhumm
why..just because you take classes does a person think they cant be wrong..giving them the right to be rude to others. I'm new to the forum and am looking for tip to improve gas mileage in a Honda civic I will be getting at weeks end. Has anyone tried k&n air filters or Denso iridium plugs. Thank you
Huh? how are you talking to?

Anyway, K&N air filters don't do much IMO for this car. That seems to be a better avantage for something like my truck that consumes far more air and has much higher air flow rates. But every little bit helps. The most important thing is to maintain your car, make sure the air filter is clean, make sure you have good tire pressure in the tires, change the oil when you should and that kind of stuff. Even if use a K&N filter, check every 10,000 miles, I had one once that sucked in all kinds of leaves and stuff, and they where basically blocking 75% of the filter. I used to just toss K&N's in and let it go, mistake, you still need to check them.

The plugs won't give much better performance since they come with Iridium plugs. The factory says change them at 110,000 miles, but most people get good results changing them every 50,000 miles.
Old 10-25-2005
Crayons taste like purple...

shroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to behold
and if you get an auto tranny. change the fluid about every 20-30k
Old 10-25-2005
Registered!!

whitedawg is an unknown quantity at this point
MPG:usually i can go about 700km and then gas light comes in...not bad for A/T

2001 Honda Civic 1,6 vtec auto ES4

98E gasoline

Mostly i drive from home to work and back home,highway about 40-60miles every day

Simota aeroform intake, 17" Motegi wheels with 215/40

5w-50 fully synthetic

TIPS...Stop punching the right foot to the floor...that saves gas...

Off Topic...i have to save gas because it costs here in finland 1,25€/litre thats about 1,6$/litre...CAN YOU DIG THAT???

Last edited by whitedawg; 10-25-2005 at 12:35 PM.
Old 10-25-2005
Registered!!

I just filled up.
I got 355miles before I filled up. It took 11.6 gallons to fill up. Thats about 30MPG.
Old 10-25-2005
Registered!!

ragencajun is an unknown quantity at this point
ever tried aditives like acetone ive been getting 480 to 500 per tank
look it up on google or yahoo
or go to http://pesn.com/2005/03/17/6900069 acetone/
Old 10-27-2005
Registered!!

GMoore is an unknown quantity at this point
37.37 so far. picked up an 03 LX, manual. as soon as I get 15 posts I'll put up an excel template for keeping track of MPG.

Quick Reply: post your mileage