Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance)
-   -   post your mileage (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance/221366-post-your-mileage.html)

EastBayStuntN 07-26-2005 04:24 PM

post your mileage

not sure if it hasnt been done before but i think it may be a good idea to post what kind of mileage your getting in your civic (or other). im sure more has gotten more than others, but ill try to make it unique as possible.

heres guideline you can copy and patse to fill out:

-what vehicle is it? (include year, make, model, auto/manual?)

-what grade gasoline? (IE: 87 reg, 89 plus, etc)

-how are your driving habits? (granny, tracking, fairly hard, highway, city, include details)

-what are your mods (only state the mods that could affect mileage IE: intake, exhaust, wheels, etc)

-what grade motor oil was used when this record of mileage was counted? (IE: 5w-20/5w-30/etc)

-tips/advice on how to save gas or anything else that is neccesary!

Blkbear 07-26-2005 11:53 PM

Mileage so far as of last fill up ... 38450.0 at 40.59 MPG, but that's only a little over a month of driving so far.

-what vehicle is it? 2002, Honda, Civic EX, 5 spd manual

-what grade gasoline? 87 reg

-how are your driving habits? highway, city, back and forth to work, some work mileage, bumming around with buddies (and yes 40+ year olds still bum around ... DID I HEAR ROAD TRIP??!?!?

-what are your mods ? So far only mod is the new owner.. Oh wait that's me so that would be an OLD MOD! :giggle:

-what grade motor oil was used when this record of mileage was counted? Hummm oil cap says 5w-20, the window sticker says Castrol Syntec Blend (Yuck), I'm gonna assume that's what was in it when I bought it last month. August everything gets flushed and replaced and can start the compared MPG from there.

Hummm tips on saving gas... Keep up on the maintenance, if you are gonna let things slide with your car, may as well be riding a bike. Keep those tires properly inflated for everyday driving. What you do for racing and horsing around, that's a different story. But then if you are racing and horsing around, you really don't care about your MPG anyway.

Speaking of maintenance, if you are like me and don't know diddle about cars, find a good mechanic and have him tell you what MUST be done and when to keep the car up.

Keep the damn thing clean inside and out. If you care about it you'll tend to treat it better.

Best money saving tip, on road trips, your friends buy gas! :rockon:
If you got cheap friends, they take the Greyhound and they can meet you there in three days! :evil:

streetglower 07-27-2005 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by EastBayStuntN
not sure if it hasnt been done before but i think it may be a good idea to post what kind of mileage your getting in your civic (or other). im sure more has gotten more than others, but ill try to make it unique as possible.

heres guideline you can copy and patse to fill out:

-what vehicle is it? (include year, make, model, auto/manual?)

-what grade gasoline? (IE: 87 reg, 89 plus, etc)

-how are your driving habits? (granny, tracking, fairly hard, highway, city, include details)

-what are your mods (only state the mods that could affect mileage IE: intake, exhaust, wheels, etc)

-what grade motor oil was used when this record of mileage was counted? (IE: 5w-20/5w-30/etc)

2002 Honda civic Ex coupe

87 octane

95% highway miles

No mods, all stock

10W-30 Mobil 1 oil

Honda_trilogy 07-27-2005 08:42 AM

34.7 mpg with AC running constantly and 30% city/70%HW

01 lx 5-speed

mods: $.95 air freshener from Wal-Mart :giggle:

I had the car for < 2 weeks. I just put in M1 5w30 on Sunday. MPG should go up.

My foot can get heavy at times but I normally drive conservable (I just can’t try to get on it when it has no balls to begin with).

Jrfish007 07-27-2005 08:50 AM

-what vehicle is it: 2005 F150 superduty

-what grade gasoline: 87

-how are your driving habits: hard highway

-what are your mods: none

-what grade motor oil was used when this record of mileage was counted: 5w20 motor craft

-tips/advice on how to save gas or anything else that is neccesary: it a truck, you don't save gas lol

Car number 2:

-what vehicle is it? 2004, Honda Civic EX auto

-what grade gasoline? 87, why pay more for nothing?

-how are your driving habits? backrode, moderate

-what are your mods: none

-what grade motor oil was used when this record of mileage was counted: 5w20

-tips/advice on how to save gas or anything else that is neccesary: let the car break in first, the first 15k miles averaged around 30MPG, now I get about 36-38MPG, same happened with my last civic.

Jrfish007 07-27-2005 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Honda_trilogy

I had the car for < 2 weeks. I just put in M1 5w30 on Sunday. MPG should go up.

Doubtful, running thicker oil will cause more momentum drag on crank shaft and through out your motor so you now have to waste more power to push the oil through the engine. If somehting that simple would improve MPG, Honda would have sold it that way.

Honda_trilogy 07-27-2005 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Jrfish007
Doubtful, running thicker oil will cause more momentum drag on crank shaft and through out your motor so you now have to waste more power to push the oil through the engine. If somehting that simple would improve MPG, Honda would have sold it that way.

Oh, so changing the shitty oil out (who nows how old that oil was) and putting new synthetic won't help MPG? :screwy:

Jrfish007 07-27-2005 09:15 AM

Oh, so changing the shitty oil out (who nows how old that oil was) and putting new synthetic won't help MPG? :screwy:

No, putting heavier oil in won't help MPG, new oil yes that will help MPG. But honda says to put 5w20 in, you are putting heavier oil, the light the oil, the less momentum drag you will have the less you engine has to work, hence the better MPG you get.... not really a hard or screwy concept here.

Honda_trilogy 07-27-2005 09:27 AM

No, putting heavier oil in won't help MPG, new oil yes that will help MPG. But honda says to put 5w20 in, you are putting heavier oil, the light the oil, the less momentum drag you will have the less you engine has to work, hence the better MPG you get.... not really a hard or screwy concept here.

Well, if you would read my post you will see that it was the first oil change I did with the civic and that I only had it for less than 2 weeks. So, yes, it was screwy for you to flame on me for saying that 5w-30 will save me MPG compaired to 5w-20, especially since I never said that I replaced 5w-20. To be honest with you, I have no idea what the oil was that I replaced. I just said that I used 5w-30 to replace the OLD oil and I should get better MPG ONLY because I CHANGED THE OIL. :_doh:

Yes, 5w-20 does give you better mpg than 5w-30. Enough to notice without controlled testing? I doubt it.

ignorant can be so funny :roflmao:

Jrfish007 07-27-2005 10:04 AM

Dude I wasn't flaming you.... If I where to flame you my post would have been much longer, I have found many people on this site switch to heavier oil because they think it will give them high performance and better MPG.

I also read your post, you don't know how old the oil is in your car, for all you know they could have changed it right before you bought it, if you bought it from a dealer, they probably did exactly that.

controlled testing is not needed, it has a larger effect than you think, I noticed a 2MPG drop every time I put 5w30 in it, I did this 3 times and every time yielded a 2 MPG drop.

Let me ask you this though, why do you call me ignorant? I simply commented that using a heavier oil will not increase your gas mileage, you agreed, does that make you ignorant too? I even agreed that cleaner oil will help MPG, then you call me ignorant, why? I never called you any names, simply stated that heavier oil is not as good for MPG as light oil. Why do insist on flaming me and starting war of something that we both agree on?

Jrfish007 07-27-2005 10:10 AM

By the way, I'm about to finish a PhD in chemical engineering at the University of Akron, I sure I know far more about fluid flow dynamic than you, I’ve take 3 classes devoted to it. If you really insist I can find the viscosities of each oil and calculate the friction factor, then find the total power loss of each oil, but this would take me a few hours to prove what I already know, so I really don't see a point in doing this.

Honda_trilogy 07-27-2005 10:31 AM

Dude I wasn't flaming you.... If I where to flame you my post would have been much longer, I have found many people on this site switch to heavier oil because they think it will give them high performance and better MPG.

I also read your post, you don't know how old the oil is in your car, for all you know they could have changed it right before you bought it, if you bought it from a dealer, they probably did exactly that.

controlled testing is not needed, it has a larger effect than you think, I noticed a 2MPG drop every time I put 5w30 in it, I did this 3 times and every time yielded a 2 MPG drop.

Let me ask you this though, why do you call me ignorant? I simply commented that using a heavier oil will not increase your gas mileage, you agreed, does that make you ignorant too? I even agreed that cleaner oil will help MPG, then you call me ignorant, why? I never called you any names, simply stated that heavier oil is not as good for MPG as light oil. Why do insist on flaming me and starting war of something that we both agree on?

Beacause all I said was I changed OLD oil out and you went into the 5w-20. It was pretty ingnorant to ASSUME that I was thinking that I would get better mpg than 5w-20.

MajinB 07-27-2005 10:42 AM

what vehicle is it? 01 civic coupe ex 5 sp EDIT:64k miles on it

-what grade gasoline? 87

-how are your driving habits? normal most of the time except when needed. highway to work 20 miles one way cruising at 80. city cruise at 50-60

-what are your mods -stock with iridium plugs
-what grade motor oil was used when this record of mileage was counted? 5-20

check tire pressure, oil, don't run air that much, cruise control helps. 40mpg in the city and 42+ on the highway

Honda_trilogy 07-27-2005 10:48 AM

By the way, I'm about to finish a PhD in chemical engineering at the University of Akron, I sure I know far more about fluid flow dynamic than you, I’ve take 3 classes devoted to it. If you really insist I can find the viscosities of each oil and calculate the friction factor, then find the total power loss of each oil, but this would take me a few hours to prove what I already know, so I really don't see a point in doing this.

:roflmao: :roflmao:

I love it when people believe they are top dog at something just because they know more than the average person.

maybe you should go study your enthalpy/reduced pressure curves. Can you tell me what Qout=mh+m2h2-(m1+m2)h3 means? :_doh:

How many thermodynamics classes have you taken? is that not what we really are talking about here? :_doh:

MajinB 07-27-2005 10:50 AM

quit jackin the thread and get back to the point^^^^

Jrfish007 07-27-2005 10:55 AM

Beacause all I said was I changed OLD oil out and you went into the 5w-20. It was pretty ingnorant to ASSUME that I was thinking that I would get better mpg than 5w-20.

Man, all I said is that 5w20 will give better MPG than 5w30, at least it has for me and it makes sense that it would. Read your post again, you said 5w30 and said nothing of how old the oil is. In fact the only way to know is to ask the dealer/previous owner or get the oil tested, you said nothing of old, you may have inferred it, but you did not say it nor did you prove it. I did not assume you thought 5w30 is better for MPG, I simply said that may not get better MPG, I really don't know. I said that because I was not sure if you knew that there lighter oil will give you better MPG or not, obviously you do, case closed, if you think that is ignorant, okay, believe it or not many people here don't know that. Sorry if you where offended by me trying to offer a little advise, but most people are like to be informed, you already are on that topic, so good for you. So lets just stop bickering about this stupid stuff and let the thread be.

4 Thermo classes, and yes I know what that means.

I am not posting any more on this thread, you win are you happy?

Honda_trilogy 07-27-2005 11:07 AM

FYI: the old oil stunk really bad (obviously severely oxidized) and was thick and black. If I don't get better mpg now after I got that junk out then something is very wrong.

The car came from a used car lot and those places usually just put a shine on a car and nothing else.

I know what I'm talking about, and I don't like it when people assume that I don't.

---------------------------------
BTW, I forgot to mention that I used 87 oct.

Now back to the featured presentation....

aznboysrfr 07-27-2005 11:36 AM

-02 ex, manual

-89 octane - used to be chevron, but is now unocal 76 (aka conoco)

-I drive like any normal person. Not crazy, but not granny. Shift at 3k rpms all the time

-mods = ebay cai, ebay 2.5" midpipe, removed p/s, rsr ex-mag exhaust, 99 si rims, ngk iridiums

-0w20 m1 syn oil

-tips = shift at a low rpm.

hwy record: 418 miles ... 85% freeway - at the time, mods were kamikaze header, 2.5" midpipe, greddy evo2 exhaust, no p/s, 5w20 oem honda dino oil

city record: 380 miles ... with current setup (last tank, actually) ... 95% city driving

notes... I used a few brands of gas for extended periods of time. 87 octane gas (chevron and mobil) has made my car bog ... upon filling up with 89 or 91, that bogging goes away. it's not in my head either.

I've used mobil and chevron for a few months at a time, using only their gas. I noticed that chevron gives worse gas milage than mobil. gas milage with 76 has either been the same or better than mobil ... and far superior to chevron.

I've never put arco in and I've only put shell in once ...

in a nutshell: 76 gas > *

jttegx 07-29-2005 02:13 AM

damn, im getting like 300 miles per tank of 90% city/10% highway, 87 regular pump, clean fully syn 5w-30 oil, automatic transmission, intake/catless/exhaust. with 50 granny/50 spirited driving

does that sound about right?

kelso 07-29-2005 12:25 PM

2001 ex sedan

83000k, 93octane, 90% city 10% highway, Its a 5 speed I drive pretty slow and get on it once in a while. I have had the car for 1000 miles and I am getting 37 to 38 mpg

jttegx 07-29-2005 06:50 PM

jesus christ, 93 octance on the civic! what set up are you running that makes it need 93 ?

MajinB 07-29-2005 11:19 PM

when i ran 93 i got only 20mpg. when i ran 87 again it went back up to 40

TSSCivic 08-02-2005 07:02 AM

- 30 MPG

- 2002 Honda Civic EX Coupe / Automatic Transmission

- 93 Octane

- Mostly Local Driving / NYC Rush Hour Traffic With a Little Bit Of Highway Driving

- I Don't Really Drive My Car Hard, Only Sometimes

- No Modifications

- Mobil 1 5W-30

Maintaining the engine well will make you get more MPG. Perform a tune up when it's necessary. Check your tires air pressure, make sure it's not too low.

Jrfish007 08-02-2005 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by TSSCivic
- 30 MPG

- 2002 Honda Civic EX Coupe / Automatic Transmission

- 93 Octane

- Mostly Local Driving / NYC Rush Hour Traffic With a Little Bit Of Highway Driving

- I Don't Really Drive My Car Hard, Only Sometimes

- No Modifications

- Mobil 1 5W-30

Maintaining the engine well will make you get more MPG. Perform a tune up when it's necessary. Check your tires air pressure, make sure it's not too low.

I used to run 93 octane when I first got my car and I only got 30 MPG. The I relaized I wasted a lot of money on high octane gas, switched to 87 and it bumped my MPG to 37-38. And it's been shown many times on this forum that higher octane will NOT help you car in anyway if it stock (I can find those thread if you really want). Just a suggestion :shrug:

shroomster 08-09-2005 06:33 PM

jesus..... 30 mpg?

Oh yeah 2k1 4-boxer and its an auto

I'm getting about 24-26 mpg....but i would assume thats cus I do maybe 3 -15 miles a day...not using that much of anything I guess...
87 octane and SRi , 195/60r15 yoks but i do get about 360-400 miles a tank

thank god Mr. Wizard finally shut the phook up and props to Fish on going for a PHd...

ON a road trip to OHIO from FL I got 440 (approx.) miles in one tank!!! Woo-hoo

lindermant 08-20-2005 08:45 PM

'05 value package coupe automatic, purchased 8/1/2005

1st tank stats: 433.1 miles, 11.5 gallons to refill tank = 37.66 MPG
2nd tank stats: 493.1 miles, 12.5 gallons to refill tank = 39.45 MPG

- 87 octane gasoline (no fuel treatments yet)

- lean towards granny style driving (90% highway commuting, 50-70mph; windows up and A/C on all the time)

- bone stock / zero mods

- factory 5w-20 motor oil

cbags05 08-21-2005 01:11 PM

Holla for the ChemE's!

gearbox 08-21-2005 01:15 PM

i'm using 89 octane with fp60 and got 42mpg once all highway at 65mph.

clsuter says 4k miles and I've owned the car almost 4 years! well okay its more like 40k. :)

typhoon sri, pnp head, header, needs cam gear and tuning still!

30-32psi tires, 2k2 civic ex automatic, 5w20 oil.

kDiAbLo_718 08-21-2005 06:01 PM

-2003 Honda Civic EX 5-speed

-87 Reg

-I drive mostly highway, since when im back in the states i go from NC to NYC in about 8 1/2-9 hours. I get about 38 miles to the gallon, if i keep it at a steady pace (about 75-80mph) I fill her up wit about $25 and get almost 450 miles b4 i have to fill her up again, i usually wait until my light goes on b4 stoppin

-I have a CAI, exhaust, some low-pro tires, which run really good and dont seem to wear out that much cuz of all the trips i go on

-I think i use 5w-20 oil, not really sure, i usually take it to Sanford Lube in NC b4 and after i go on trips, so they take care of all that

-like i said earlier, if u go on road trips or like to drive on the highway alot, go at a steady pace, use ur cruise control if u got it, it really helps out wit gas milage

scrubdug 08-21-2005 07:28 PM

filled up today 10.25 gal with 412 miles = 40.195 mpg :)

05 EX auto with 4500 miles on the clock. I drive mostly highway but through rush hour traffic in ATL with a/c always on.

worst 34 mpg
best 43 mpg
usually 38