Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

is there a clean way to change an oil filter

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: is there a clean way to change an oil filter

not sure if this was mentioned, but some hi end car dealers pump out the oil through the dipstick hole and then remove filter.
Old 06-16-2007
This is Myspace

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to behold

that sounds like a pain in the ***
Old 06-16-2007
Red Hot Chili Peppers....bitch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond repute

dealers always tighten them up so much, i always get filters that are a bitch to take off at my job but with the right tools its not that hard
Old 06-16-2007
Registered!!

Johnold is an unknown quantity at this point

I just let it drain with the cap off and drain bolt off for like 20 minutes or something and then get back under there and get the rubber oil filter glove on and losen the oil filter just enough to take off the glove or even leave it on and then take a perfectly new *plastic* grocery bag and then position it a certain way that where I start to unscrew the rest of the filter off and then let the filter fall in the plastic bag along with whatever remaining oil, works EVERYTIME and is atleast 90% cleanest and neatest. But the first couple or few times could probably be KINDA-failed attempts.
Old 06-17-2007
Registered!!

stock is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by gearbox
not sure if this was mentioned, but some hi end car dealers pump out the oil through the dipstick hole and then remove filter.

Is it possible to pump out oil through the dipstick hole on the Civic? Isn't there a baffle or something physically in the way? How could this method get all the old oil out?
Old 06-17-2007
(SnOwBoArDeR | FoReVeR)

Civic_Racer9 has a spectacular aura aboutCivic_Racer9 has a spectacular aura aboutCivic_Racer9 has a spectacular aura about

u guys proply never even thought of this.

park ur car in the garage over night...and do the oil change when u wake up.

no drops will come out of the oil filter!!!!
Old 06-17-2007
Registered!!

bakertime is a jewel in the roughbakertime is a jewel in the roughbakertime is a jewel in the rough

I usually do it warm, but I slide under the driver side of the car to get the drain bolt off, let that drain for maybe 10 minutes, then head over to the passenger side. I lay on my back, put the pan under the filter and you can reach the filter w/o being under it. I used to get covered too, but this method will send all of the oil into the pan, not your face. It'll be tight to get your arms up, so you'll probably not want to do it when the exhaust is super hot, but it does work.
Old 06-17-2007
Pwning Noobs 24/7

DaMadScientist is just really niceDaMadScientist is just really niceDaMadScientist is just really niceDaMadScientist is just really niceDaMadScientist is just really nice

the oil needs to be moderatley warm so all the contaminants drain out as well, which does not happen when the oil is cold, as for the oil filter, get under the car and just loosen it a tiny bit, have your body more on the passenger side and just twist it off, oil will pour down the oil pan into the oil bucket. all u really need to do is wipe the side of the oil pan off, always wear rubber surgical gloves when changing oil, cause used oil is carcinogenic plus its alot easier of cleanup
Old 06-17-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

just take the drain bolt off and then start the car to get all the excess oil out like the guy on srt4 forums. haha okay dont do that
Old 06-17-2007
My Pony Princess is the inspiration for my ride.

speedfoos is an unknown quantity at this point

I didn't think this was a serious thread. Wow. OK. Latex gloves and a bottle of Simple Green. 'Nough said.
Old 06-17-2007
This is Myspace

DsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to behold

yea i dont get that... why be so clean when ur changing ur oil. thats liek wearing rubber boots when u mow ur lawn.
Old 06-17-2007
Red Hot Chili Peppers....bitch

RHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond repute

cause there are all women on this site
Old 06-17-2007
Registered!!

Eightball will become famous soon enoughEightball will become famous soon enough

I just cram some paper towels under the filter and take it off. No mess. I don't see what the big deal is......
Old 06-18-2007
Registered!!

stock is on a distinguished road

Ok so I changed the oil and filter without making a mess but I spilled some of the used oil while trying to pour it from the drain pan into a plastic jug.

My drain pan doesn't have a spout for easy pouring. How do you guys get it into a plastic jug without making a mess?
Old 06-18-2007
Pwning Noobs 24/7

DaMadScientist is just really niceDaMadScientist is just really niceDaMadScientist is just really niceDaMadScientist is just really niceDaMadScientist is just really nice

Funnel!
Old 06-18-2007
Registered!!

beadebaserr will become famous soon enoughbeadebaserr will become famous soon enough

It's usually inevitable for me, I always get oil on the floor and on my sway bar. It takes me like 60 seconds to pour something on the spilt oil and wipe my sway bar off, which is worth it more to me than trying to find a way to be cleaner.

and changing your oil when the engine is warm vs cool makes a huge difference. try this too : when you're changing your oil, let your car sit for like 30 minutes and drain, then at the end of the 30 minutes, cup your hand around the fill hole and blow really hard into it (don't pass out) and watch how much more oil comes out.
Old 06-18-2007
This is Myspace

^^ lol i had a teacher do that, i thought it was the funniest looking thing ever.

i always change my oil when the car is warm. i didnt know it made a difference i always jus kinda forget that i had just drove my car to a shop. and i get under there pop of the drain plug and im like oh crap lava!! then i jus say w.e
Old 06-18-2007
Registered!!

cgomes is on a distinguished road

Let the oil spill I say. You people are always thinking about yourselves. Have you ever stopped and thought about the oil’s feelings. Think about it; you buy fresh oil, its gold and pristine. What’s the firs thing you do to it!? Do you say hello? How are you doing? No! You through it in a dark dirty hole and make it work everyday for it its entire life (which for some species is less than a month). And how do you repay it for its long hard work? Some put it in a dark dirty container and toss it, others make it work even more, and yet there are others who chug it down a catchbasin.

Damn no respect for a hard work these days. I say let the oil flow! If it happens to flow on you be happy; its just showing affection towards you. It’s proven that oil is an excellent moisturizer, the only side effect is a possibility of cause skin cancer; And cause of that people avoid it like the plague. Have you no shame?
Old 06-18-2007
My Pony Princess is the inspiration for my ride.

speedfoos is an unknown quantity at this point

Now that's funny and I don't care who ya are!
Old 06-21-2007
Registered!!

MSKJON is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't change my oil either. I let the Honda dealer do it for $20. They only use 5w-30 which is close enough for me. I had a Mazda Protege which would smoke after each oil change from leakange on the exhaust manifold from the filter. On chance I went to a local mechanic once and there was no smell when he was done! I asked what he did and he said he poked a hole in the filter, let it drain and then removed it. Would that work with Civics?