Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

is there a clean way to change an oil filter

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2005
I spent 1425 points to do this.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SOHC is an unknown quantity at this point
is there a clean way to change an oil filter

i dread changing my oil because i ALWAYS get hot oil all over my arms. sometimes on my shirt, in my face or hair too. it sucks bigtime. does anyone know how to get that akwardly positioned filter out without making a mess everywhere? i always have to do massive clean-up after i get one out.

ive tried grabbing it form up above, but you basically have to stand on the engine to do that... i dont wanna do that.

i think this time i change my oil i will do it with a cold engine so at least i wont fear the boiling oil.
Old 06-11-2005
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
drain your oil normally, and let it sit for ****ing ever with the drain bolt and oil cap off... after that, unscrew the filter carefully and slowly...

lol.. that's all i can think of.. it works every now and then..
Old 06-11-2005
-=ELiTe MeMBeR=-

DMikeX will become famous soon enoughDMikeX will become famous soon enough
Ok, this is what I do to Change my Oil.. I let my car sit in the driveway over night and the next in the afternoon I get ready to change it.. First I jackup the car, put some jacks under and locate the bolt to drain the oil, Let it drain,(of course the oil is cold becuase I let it sit overnight) then put the bolt back on and locate the filter, i give it a few pulls and done.. no oil leak no splashing just a nice clean removal... get the new filter and put it back on.... its about a 15min change.. no leaks a nice clean oil job...
Old 06-11-2005
Registered!!

Silver02EX is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
drain your oil normally, and let it sit for ****ing ever with the drain bolt and oil cap off... after that, unscrew the filter carefully and slowly...

lol.. that's all i can think of.. it works every now and then..
That's exactly what I do....
Old 06-11-2005
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
doubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nice
the filter is always messy, no matter what i do. but yeah, the car sits overnight or at least 2 hrs before i change
Old 06-12-2005
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
all you need to do is unscrew the filter a bit and let some of it drain then take it off.
Old 06-12-2005
Got Bags?

HondaNation is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by SOHC
i dread changing my oil because i ALWAYS get hot oil all over my arms. sometimes on my shirt, in my face or hair too. it sucks bigtime. does anyone know how to get that akwardly positioned filter out without making a mess everywhere? i always have to do massive clean-up after i get one out.

ive tried grabbing it form up above, but you basically have to stand on the engine to do that... i dont wanna do that.

i think this time i change my oil i will do it with a cold engine so at least i wont fear the boiling oil.
sounds like you dont know what u are doing....and no there aint no "clean" way of doing your own oil change...no matter how carefull you are you might get a small amount of oil when you take off the oil filter.....
Old 06-12-2005
Registered!!

ojay is on a distinguished road
wear a shower cap, long sleeves, mechanics gloves, and don't forget goggles.
Old 06-13-2005
OMNES AD UNUM

jttegx has a spectacular aura aboutjttegx has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by DMikeX
Ok, this is what I do to Change my Oil.. I let my car sit in the driveway over night and the next in the afternoon I get ready to change it.. First I jackup the car, put some jacks under and locate the bolt to drain the oil, Let it drain,(of course the oil is cold becuase I let it sit overnight) then put the bolt back on and locate the filter, i give it a few pulls and done.. no oil leak no splashing just a nice clean removal... get the new filter and put it back on.... its about a 15min change.. no leaks a nice clean oil job...
i wouldnt drain the motor oil while its cold because the oil is thick and some will stay behind and wont fully drain. commonly, you warm up the car, let it sit for 15min before changing.

theirs an oil filter removal tool, but that still gets your hands dirty. i recommend wearing gloves, long sleeve clothing, goggles, and/or hair protectants.
Old 06-15-2005
Registered!!

SpecialEdCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by streetglower
all you need to do is unscrew the filter a bit and let some of it drain then take it off.
thats it unscrew the filter let some drain a lil and then you take it off.
Old 06-15-2005
Registered!!

Maurizio is an unknown quantity at this point
It's best for your car to drain the oil when your engine is hot, this causes the contaminants to become suspended in the oil, and allow them to drain out with it.

All you can do is minimize oil splash. Letting the filter drain out before complete removal helps, but always try to protect yourself as best you can. Protection includes gloves, long sleeves, and yes, goggles and a hat if you have them.

Used motor oil is highly carcinogenic (causes cancer).
Old 06-15-2005
Registered!!

Flashlightboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Sometimes you get a little **** on your fingers when wiping your *** but that doesn't keep you from eating does it?
Old 06-15-2005
I brake for hairy Hawaiian midgets

manahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ojay
wear a shower cap, long sleeves, mechanics gloves, and don't forget goggles.
in this case, you may need earplugs too. you never know!!!
Old 06-16-2005
Drunken Master-7thgen Ninja

MajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to behold
umm. i change my oil after my normal daily drive of a good 20 minutes. make sure your oil is hot as hell. it drains quicker for one and it won't leave alot behing. about your oil filter thing. make the cars front end lower than the back. i know its hard but the oil from the filter will drain into the engine when you drain it. thats why the filter is in the akward position. i just changed my oil yesterday. i got like a couple of drops on my arm. no biggie. get some rags and shop towels at walmart.
Old 06-16-2005
Registered!!

dma001 is an unknown quantity at this point
I've changed oil so many times in so many cars over the years, I finally decided that it was worth it (for me, anyway) to just let the dealer do it. They charge 19.99, and they put the little plastic washer in that Honda says you need to prevent the oil drain plug from getting stripped.

It's just my personal opinion, but I figure that my time is worth 20 bucks, and if the dealer does something wrong, like forget to reinstall or tighten the plug, I'm covered. They have no excuse for a seized engine, like "well, we didn't do the oil change, so we can't warranty your motor."
Old 06-16-2005
I'll flip out and kill people.

modoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questioned
Originally Posted by Maurizio
It's best for your car to drain the oil when your engine is hot, this causes the contaminants to become suspended in the oil, and allow them to drain out with it.
was waiting for someone to point this out.

try changin oil for a living, it sucks! people like to drive on the highway for 2 hours then pop in the shop and get an oil change. nothin like scaulding oil splashing on your face, fun!
i dont change my own oil anymore, its really a pain, extremely hard to get under my car even when jacked up, and i think its worth $20 to have someone else change it and get dirty while i sit and read road and track in the office with the ac on.
Old 06-16-2005
Touch it... He won't bite, He'll just come at you pretty quick.

Blahman240 is on a distinguished road
There really is no clean way to do it... you're gonna get some on ya.
Old 06-16-2005
formerly 2k1CivicRacer

S2KREY is on a distinguished road
yeh changing the filter you will always get some kind of mess...and dont change the oil right after you ran the motor.. let it cool for like 15mins more or less...
Old 06-16-2005
Registered!!

Flashlightboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Seriously, use a quart size baggie over the filter and a lot of the oil will be trapped in it. In a pinch you could use a plastic grocery store bag but baggies work much better. Wear mechanic's latex gloves and you'll be as mess free as reasonably possible.

The problem, IMO, with having the oil freaking hot is that oil pan (and everything else) heats up causing the metals to expand making removal of the bolt and filter harder than it needs to be.

Instead, drive around the block a few times or couple of miles, whichever comes first and then change the oil. I'm not aware of any studies that any more oil comes out when it's scalding hot vs. moderately warm. Remember that there will always be residual oil remaining in the passages regardless of which method you use.
Old 06-16-2005
Registered!!

islanboun is an unknown quantity at this point
Right under the filter there is a lip close to where the oil pan is attached to the block, I usually take my rag and stuff it there while i'm removing the filter and it absorbs most of the dripping oil
Old 06-19-2005

bleh. ive gotta change mine asap. tomorrow probably. at least getting it up on ramps wont be such a hassle this time (now that my front lip was politely removed by a possom on the highway).

ive always changed my own oil, i dont really trust anyone else to do it. but ive been thinkin twice about it. its such a pain. if i cant develop some sort of oil catch bag; jiffy lube it is.
Old 06-20-2005

MajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to behold
cleanest way for you to do an oil change is to get someone else to do it.
Old 06-20-2005
The Woman Who Gave Birth to Rabbits. As seen on TV by QBoi.

Kadenx is a jewel in the roughKadenx is a jewel in the roughKadenx is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by MajinB
cleanest way for you to do an oil change is to get someone else to do it.
Thats sooo true....but if your scared of getting dirty....find a new hobby!
Old 06-24-2005
Subarus FTW I do NOT miss my civic

2K1Civic17"Gabe is an unknown quantity at this point
I buy my own oil and filter, than bring it to my friend at midas. Hell take the plug and filter off after I put it up on the ramp and lift it. Than he throws those back on and I add the oil. Definately the cleanest way, hahaha.

I always say, Ill do it, and hes like, "Nah, dont worry about it, your clean, Im already dirty as hell, you can add the oil, and back the car out while I work elsewhere"
Old 06-26-2005

i guess getting dirty isnt the problem. i just hate scalding hot oil. and it sucks ruining my clothes. it went real smoothly this last time. i feel better about it
Old 06-26-2005
Registered!!

streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
Originally Posted by SOHC
i guess getting dirty isnt the problem. i just hate scalding hot oil. and it sucks ruining my clothes.
dont do it when the car is hot, and dont wear nice clothes when changing the oil.
Old 06-26-2005

Originally Posted by streetglower
dont do it when the car is hot, and dont wear nice clothes when changing the oil.
do it when the car IS hot. and find some old crap you don't care about to wear. im sure everyone has something they can use for car clothes.
Old 06-26-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by MajinB
do it when the car IS hot. and find some old crap you don't care about to wear. im sure everyone has something they can use for car clothes.
it doesnt matter if the car is hot or not. I have changed my oil for a long time early when I get up in the morning or after the car has been sitting for awhile, it doesnt make a difference. the oil will come out know matter what.
Old 06-26-2005

look, when the oil is cold it leaves crap inside the engine, and thats not good for the car. when its cold its thicker and flows less easily. the viscosity is better when its hot. when its cold it will not flow all the way out, and it will take longer to drain because its cold. i prefer hot, at least warm it up and drive it for 5 min. i baby my car, thats just me though.
Old 06-26-2005
Registered!!

thefivespeeder is a jewel in the roughthefivespeeder is a jewel in the roughthefivespeeder is a jewel in the rough
pay people like me to do it...no def. dont change it cold because when its hot it carries more of the deposits away on top in the cyl. head, just keep a rag handy dude, it is what it is...

Quick Reply: is there a clean way to change an oil filter