DIY: Change your Transmission Oil

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of light
I guess I just have to becareful when adding oil.
Old 09-10-2006
Registered!!

ctx66 will become famous soon enoughctx66 will become famous soon enough
If its easier for you to fill the transmission with fluid with the car jacked up unevenly, just put exactly 1.6qt's (or whatever it is) into a container, and keep filling the transmission until the container is empty. No overfill worries.
Old 09-18-2006
Registered!!

DDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of light
Just did the tranny oil change on Sat, turns out you should have the car leveled because the oil sits mostly in the front and the drain plugs are in the rear. That is why when your only have the car jacked up only in the front the oil is leaking out once you unscrewed the filler bolt.

So far I have noticed that the shifts are a little smoother but I still have some kinks when shifting and 2nd gear still pops, but at least its a little smoother.
Old 09-18-2006
im stock now! T.T

Civic_RedLine will become famous soon enough
more than doing this on your own, I recommend changing the tranny fluid at least once a year.. depending on ur driving that is..
Old 09-19-2006
kind

This is a must do! Really easy DIY and is worth the $10 in HONDA MTF. Much smoother shifting and I personally have noticed increased power after a change!

This is from the Honda service manual for any that are interested:

MT Oil Capacity
1.5 l (1.6 Us qt, 1.3 Imp qt) at fluid change
1.6 l (1.7 US qt, 1.4 Imp qt) at overhaul
Old 02-08-2008
Registered!!

stepchild is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: DIY: Change your Transmission Oil

Does anybody have the torque specs for the two bolts (Bolt #1 & Bolt #2)? These are the the bolts Storm897 posted a picture of on page 1 of this thread. Any help on this would be GREATLY APPRECIATED.
Old 07-29-2008
Registered!!

Strider is an unknown quantity at this point

I know that Honda recommends using 10W-30 (or Honda MTF), however what would happen if I were to use a lower viscosity... say 5W-20?

My thought process is that with the smaller particles it should allow for a smoother shift. I have experienced that using a 0W-20 does provide a slight increase in gas mileage, which is my goal objective with my '01.

Thanks in advance for the responses.

-Strider
Old 07-29-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

but 0w20 falls apart at high temps. i wouldnt use that in any engine. if i had a hybrid that came with 0w20, i would chage it to 5w20 to prolong the motor life
Old 07-29-2008
You Stay Classy, San Diego

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
jamis33 is just really nicejamis33 is just really nicejamis33 is just really nicejamis33 is just really nice

Hey im goiing to do this change tomorrow. I plan on using AC Delco Syncromesh synthetic blend mtf. I have heard this is the best product on HT but guys on here arent so sure. my buddy says he wouldnt use anything else on his kswap. Any thought gearbox or others? Also should I listen to what that other guy said about just measuring 1.6qts and dumping it in????
Old 07-29-2008
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by jamis33
Hey im goiing to do this change tomorrow. I plan on using AC Delco Syncromesh synthetic blend mtf. I have heard this is the best product on HT but guys on here arent so sure. my buddy says he wouldnt use anything else on his kswap. Any thought gearbox or others? Also should I listen to what that other guy said about just measuring 1.6qts and dumping it in????
ive changed my MTF twice. first time with honda MTF, second with syncromesh....

and syncromesh is the **** for manual transmissions....
Old 07-29-2008
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

well for manual trans the type of fluid isnt as important as auto. idk, if it were me id stick with honda oem. they have a really good additive package.
Old 07-30-2008
You Stay Classy, San Diego

jamis33 is just really nicejamis33 is just really nicejamis33 is just really nicejamis33 is just really nice

do you mean **** as in it sucks or THE **** as in its freakin amazing. I did mine today and im thinkin it is THE ****. Shifts are so so so much smoother.
Old 03-31-2009
Registered!!

babzog is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by stepchild
Does anybody have the torque specs for the two bolts (Bolt #1 & Bolt #2)? These are the the bolts Storm897 posted a picture of on page 1 of this thread. Any help on this would be GREATLY APPRECIATED.
I know it's an old post but here's the specs anyway (excerpted from the Civic service manual).

Referring to Storm897's pic:

Bolt #1 torque is 44 N.m or 33 lb.ft
Bolt #2 (the one with the ratchet fitting) torque is 39 N.m or 29 lb.ft.

Both plugs are recommended to be fitted with new washers before re-installation.
Old 04-08-2009
Registered!!

So I changed mine this past weekend.

Yeah, it was about as much fun as I thought it would be.

It was also overfilled by my mechanic 120,000km ago and was quite filthy. Took $14 in fluid and a handy tip from a Honda mechanic. He suggested (in response to me asking how the heck do you fill the thing up again) the following (air compressor required):
  1. Take the cap off one of the bottles of fluid.
  2. Take a piece of flexible tubing (I used 3/8OD x 1/4ID clear plastic tubing from TSC).
  3. Drill a hole the size of the tuning into the cap.
  4. Drill a second, smaller hole, beside the first.
  5. Reinstall the cap onto the bottle.
  6. Insert the tuning into the bottle and feed it to the bottom.
  7. Insert the other end into the tranny (after draining the oil and replacing the lower bolt).
  8. Take your blow gun, decrease the pressure to 30-40lbs (my own advice) and gently pressurize the bottle, forcing the fluid into the tranny.
  9. In his words: "Pump till it starts coming out, then pump a bit more, in case there's air bubbles."
Worked like a bomb! I had to wedge the tubing into place to keep it from falling out of the fill hole and it's pretty tight under the car, even when it's all jacked up, but it certainly did the trick with no mess (unlike when I initially popped the cork and got tranny goo on me, my floor...). Afterward, I just coiled it up and let it hibernate in a Ziplock freezer bag for the next 100,000km.

Car is shifting much more slickly now! Very nice!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	mt_fill_adapter.png
Views:	429
Size:	4.9 KB
ID:	76079  

Last edited by babzog; 04-08-2009 at 11:25 PM.
Old 04-09-2009
Registered!!

civicplaya will become famous soon enoughcivicplaya will become famous soon enough

Can I possibly get a link to a manual pump? I'm not sure which one to get.

-Thanks
Old 04-10-2009
Registered!!

You could also fill the transmission fluid from the VSS hole. Its a hell of a lot easier.
Old 04-15-2009
Registered!!

VSS hole? Is that the upper hole (17mm socket required)?
Old 04-15-2009
Premium Member

yeah its just a sensor with wires and plug on top with a hex pattern.
Old 05-03-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
yeah its just a sensor with wires and plug on top with a hex pattern.
Aha. Didn't see that one, not that I was looking for it, at the time, either. Thanks!
Old 05-11-2009
Registered!!

korndo1284 is an unknown quantity at this point

Great Stuff... I just did mine but i started too late. Now its dark and time to go to work. Thanks for the great DIY.
Old 05-11-2009
Premium Member

has anyone noticed the oem drain plug magnet is really weak? im surprised it does anything.
Old 05-12-2009
Registered!!

I didnt pay too much attention to that, but i did notice that procivic has a drain bolt set. It looks meaty but for both drain bolts its like 33 bucks + Shipping.

oh its from skunk2
Old 05-12-2009
Registered!!

Well Just got home and buttoned everything up and set out for a test drive. I put in mobil 1 10w30 and i gotta say it shifts like butter.
I figure ill drive for a month with the mobil 1 and then change to the Syncromesh.
Old 07-31-2009
Registered!!

hondaguy2582 is an unknown quantity at this point

I use redline mtl fluid in my 02 civic ex. Smooth as butter shifting.

For filling the fluid next time though, get an electric fluid extractor that you would use for oil changes. One hose sucking the fluid in towards the pump, the other going into the transmission itself. Easy, requires only one person, and your done in less than 10 minutes.