Need Headlight advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Max91 is an unknown quantity at this point
Need Headlight advice

I seriously gotta replace headlights on my 02 EX. I shopped around and really like the black housing halo type. What I don't like is blue lights.

Can any of you experts point me in the right direction?

Here is the pair I'm interested in.

http://www.carid.com/2002-honda-civi...ts-315203.html

Thanx in advance!
Old 06-14-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Need Headlight advice

they are fine so long as you open it up and replace the projector inside with a real one (halogen or hid whichever you prefer). if you plan to just use em as is, dont bother. they suck.
Old 06-14-2012
Registered!!

Ok thats good. Now can you tell me the difference between halogen and hid?

And like uh.. what are in the factory headlights?
Old 06-15-2012
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

halogen uses a coiled metal filament that gets glowing hot and makes light. these are the yellowish white lights most older cars have including civics (except the japanese 2003 hybrid). hid is an arc discharge tube with a pressurized chamber that creates light from plasma. due to the drastic differences in the way each source emits light, you need a housing that was built for each type. so even tho there are cheap aftermarket hid kits that will physically fit a halogen housing, they never work right due to the technology not being compatible. most newer hid optics use projectors, altho some older cars had reflector hids as well. halogen also has reflector and projector optics and you must use the right kind. the easiest swap is to find hid projector from an oem car like audi/bmw and mount them inside the halogen light to replace the old optic system.
Old 06-15-2012
Registered!!

Thanx for the information Gearbox!

I think Im going to keep looking and go with just halogens. When you say using as is without replacing the projector "suck" do you mean appearance or effectiveness?

I'd like to find a set thats looks good and I can install and go.
Old 06-15-2012
Premium Member

all of those aftermarket lights do not have the proper beam pattern to drive with. instead of being smooth with a brighter light at the top, many of them are too focused or have dark spots in the beam. for example here is the 01 civic reflector with halogen, compared to a tyc projector with halogen.

tyc projector with h1 halogen bulb

Name:  tycnt1.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  18.0 KB

oem civic reflector with h4 halogen

Name:  vpground1.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  17.5 KB
Old 06-16-2012
Registered!!

Yes I see what your talking about. That is a big difference!

I found these on ebay. This might work for me.

[EBAY]http://www.ebay.com/itm/01-02-03-HONDA-CIVIC-2-4DR-CRYSTAL-HEADLIGHT-JDM-BLACK-DX-EX-GX-HX-LX-FRONT-LAMP-/380446436824?_trksid=p3284.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DS I%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BUA%252BFICS%26otn%3D21 %26pmod%3D280750575568%26ps%3D54#ht_5227wt_1413/[EBAY]
Old 06-16-2012
Premium Member

well, no. aftermarket oem style reflector lights are just as bad. if you want that style, better to open the factory honda light and paint the trim piece black yourself while keeping the better reflector. for example here is what the oem honda reflector looks like. notice they are very bright and have excellent spread and beam distribution (wide hotspot).

Name:  revwhite2.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  17.9 KB

now look at the aftermarket 01-03 oem style lights (left side) with a tiny center hotspot and terrible beam pattern with too much foreground and very little width. right side is oem honda 92 accord headlights.

Name:  ebayhloemstyle-4.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  25.3 KB
Old 06-17-2012
Registered!!

Those illustrations helps a lot gearbox.

I think i'll take it to a body shop friend and see if he can buff them out to "like new" and maybe paint the inner housing.

Thanx again, you were a great help!
Old 09-19-2013
Registered!!

emeka_civic_EX is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gearbox
all of those aftermarket lights do not have the proper beam pattern to drive with. instead of being smooth with a brighter light at the top, many of them are too focused or have dark spots in the beam. for example here is the 01 civic reflector with halogen, compared to a tyc projector with halogen.

tyc projector with h1 halogen bulb

oem civic reflector with h4 halogen

Hi Gear Box please where can I get the oem civic reflector with h4 halogen which shows the good beam pattern in your illustration. I'm considering that or a retrofitted oem housing from TRS, eventhough I'm working on a slim budget