DIY: Replacing door lock Assembly and Actuator (UPDATED WITH PICS ON POST 27)

Old 08-20-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
carcare is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: DIY: Replacing door lock Assembly and Actuator (UPDATED WITH PICS ON POST 27)

Originally Posted by rustybonz54
ok kids. i did the honorable thing and replaced the drivers door lock actuator +/- minor issues (rain) and after putting the entire door back together, SAME problem. this is a 2002 EX 4door auto ~120,000. does anybody have the decoder ring for this problem outside the obvious? www.hondapartscheap.com was the parts provider, i was the labor. this is my 70 year old retired friends ride. as it stands, he has to do magic to unlock the doors and then re-lock them. the FOB is useless for initial entry. use the key to unlock the door and then the fob works to unlock the remaining 3 doors. get inside and close the driver door and the door switch will lock all 3 doors (minus the drivers door). you must do that manually. the fob won't open the locks from inside neither will the door switch unlock ANY doors. you must manually unlock the drivers door then the FOB works correctly. here is a real gem: with the drivers door open, while pulling the inside open lever (as if opening the door), using the door lock switch will lock the remaining 3 doors. i don't get it. now, 1) i didn't do a voltage check (weather was an issue), 2) the master fuse block has NO WINDOW fuses, and 3) my friend spent $$$ on an actuator and we have the same problem. egg on my face and we still need to fix the goofy thing. help??!?!?!?!?!? i should mention the reason for using the parts supplier is they are "locl" to me and Majetic is in N.J. somewhere. Milpitas, Ca. is close to San Jose, Ca. thanks for any additional assistance provided.
How can I email you? I am new to this. I am trying to replace the window actuator. I can not take the big three screws out on the side of the door. My screw driver keeps slipping. If I damage them while taking them out, how can I order the new ones? Any part #?
Old 09-13-2011
Registered!!

thisguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: DIY: Replacing door lock Assembly and Actuator (UPDATED WITH PICS ON POST 27)

i can hear a "ticking" noise coming from the pass side lock, but the driver side switch doesnt lock/unlock either door (coupe) this leads me to think its not a fuse, unless there are more than one for the doors (not sure)

any ideas if its the actuator or something else?

thanks
Old 09-13-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

prolly actuators if you hear noise but nothing happens (means they are getting power but not working.
Old 09-14-2011
Registered!!

2002ExCivic has a spectacular aura about2002ExCivic has a spectacular aura about

Same thing happened to me i even posted up on here, Door made sound but didnt lock/unlock Someone convinced me that they might get power but they wont work. I went ahead and replaced the actuator (since i had ordered it a month back) and viola door is perfect

Originally Posted by thisguy
i can hear a "ticking" noise coming from the pass side lock, but the driver side switch doesnt lock/unlock either door (coupe) this leads me to think its not a fuse, unless there are more than one for the doors (not sure)

any ideas if its the actuator or something else?

thanks
Old 09-15-2011
Registered!!

so its probably both actuators?

where are the fuses for the door locks? under the dash or in the engine fuse panel?
Old 09-15-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

if each door makes a sound but the lock doesnt move, then its both sides.
Old 09-15-2011
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Yes, the sound is important, as the alternative if not actuator would be an open connection (broken wire etc)the sound lets you know it is getting voltage.
Old 09-15-2011
Registered!!

i can hear the click in the pass side. all i can hear in the driver side is the switch itself, not sure if the actuator is makin the noise also.
Old 09-15-2011

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

The best test for the drivers side is the 1st unlock press of the remote when drivers door is only actuator triggered. If you don't hear anything I would measure voltage reaching actuator or isolate it and apply voltage as a test.
Old 02-12-2012
Registered!!

Batiding is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks. streetglower.
I'm going to change my actuator.
One question on buying actuator from Majastic Honda. There are two parts seems similar. Which one should I get? I am confused.

Part No. Illust. No. Reqd. Qty. Description Color List Price Our Price
72155-S5P-A11 032 001 ACTUATOR ASSY., DOOR LOCK 54.75 38.33
72115-S6A-J11 056 001 ACTUATOR ASSY., DOOR LOCK 49.28 34.50

Any suggestion would be appreciated.
Old 02-13-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Batiding
Thanks. streetglower.
I'm going to change my actuator.
One question on buying actuator from Majastic Honda. There are two parts seems similar. Which one should I get? I am confused.

Any suggestion would be appreciated.
More information on the door problem of 2003 Civic EX Coupe. When I use the remote to lock the door, the lights flash as normal. Passenger's door can lock by the remote, while the driver's door cannot.

When I try to unlock them, the lights flash is good. But both doors cannot unlock.

There is sound from the passenger's door when I press the lock and unlock buttons. I'm not quite sure if there is sound coming from the driver's side.

Thanks for any response.
Old 02-13-2012

^^^ Is it just the drivers side thats not working ??

If you close the drivers door and work the lock/unlock switch by the handle several times locking & unlocking, look at the drivers lock **** near top of panel for any movement up or down while attempting (may be only a slight movement)

Best test for drivers door is the 1st unlock press, only the drivers actuator is getting voltage on the 1st unlock.
Old 02-13-2012
Registered!!

Thanks, CraigW.

The driver's side is not working with remote, both lock and unlock. The passenger's side can only be locked by remote.

I tried the Lock/unlock switch on the driver's door. The switch is only work for passenger's side. I have to manually push and pull the lock **** on the driver's side.

There are two remotes, so the remote should be good. Do I need to check to wire connection on the drivers side? Or just replace the actuator?

I really appreciate your help.
Old 02-13-2012

The actuators are a pretty common to fail item for the 7th gens without a doubt...but, I would hate to see you order one if you have a broken wire.

Find a quiet location, sit in the car drivers door closed and push down the drivers lock ****. Then press the unlock on fob only a single time while listening close to the drivers door panel for any type of noise (buzzing etc) that would indicate the actuator motor is getting voltage.

The only other test would be to check voltage to the actuator if you have a meter or a test light.

For the passenger side not unlocking... try unlocking it when you have the drivers door already unlocked and see if passenger side will then unlock.
Old 02-13-2012
Registered!!

There is no noise coming from the drivers side, I have to check the voltage on the actuator the other time.

When the drivers door is already unlocked, the passengers side won't unlock by remote.

I'm wondering if both the doors are broken. Is there a possibility that the drivers side influences the passengers door so that the passengers side can not unlock?

Thanks, CraigW.
Old 02-14-2012

I would try to measure voltage going to actuator or use a test light, the pulse of voltage will be quite short in duration.
Another test would be to briefly apply voltage to the disconnected acuator and see if it will operate.

I can't say for the passenger side no unlock, is the passenger side lock **** slow moving or sluggish when locking and unlocking ?
Old 02-14-2012
Registered!!

The drivers side actuator must have been failed. I am going to get an actuator from Majestic Honda. However, there are two kinds of actuators list below.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...ry5=DOOR+LOCKS

Any suggestions on which should I get?
Old 02-15-2012

The drivers side would be the L side. They don't make it very clear which is which.

This is a little better, double check all the details before you order.--> http://www.hondapartsnow.com/Page_Pr...e=Door%20Locks

S & H will bring up the cost for a single item order, check if the dealer will give you some off of msrp and it may be near the same as majestic w/s&h
Old 02-15-2012
Registered!!

Thanks. Great suggestions.