DIY: Masking Before Painting (Grille)

Old 05-07-2013
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
DIY: Masking Before Painting (Grille)

My first DIY, and a simple one Figured someone might not know how to get a nice clean edge on something that they are painting. I masked and painted my grille but this can be done with any body part.

Supplies:

**Painters tape (not cheap Harbor Fright tape). I use Scott's blue painters tape.
**X-Acto blade or box cutter with new sharp blade.

Name:  IMG_1264_zps8cbd0124.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  220.7 KB

1.) start by deciding what you want to paint. I'm painting my grille so I only want the lip at the bottom and on the sides to match my car color. I had already primed it when I decided to make a DIY.

Name:  IMG_8559_zpsaeafefd9.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  163.1 KB

2.) Tape along the edge of where you want to paint. You want to overlap the tape a little onto the part that your painting.

Name:  IMG_8398_zps1246c7b8.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  308.4 KB

3.) Now take you knife and cut along the edge peeling away the tape that is covering the part you want to paint. Press firmly on the edges of the tape when you are done cutting. You don't want to allow any paint slipping in under the edge.

Name:  IMG_0304_zps6ea8b9a7.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  204.9 KB

You can use small pieces of tape around any turns, just be sure to overlap your tape so that you don't get any seepage through.

Name:  IMG_4006_zps78480d7f.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  213.2 KB

4.) Use newspaper or computer paper to cover any large areas. You can use your painters tape but the paper will cover a larger area better.

Name:  IMG_6933_zpsae773b6a.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  105.1 KB

5.) I also got some picture hanging wire from Lowe's so that I could hang it up to paint. While you are taping look for a spot to put the wire through if you are going to hang it (I suggest doing so).

6.) Now is a great time to read TFMEX DIY on Painting so you know how to prep and paint it. I won't go into that since you can just read his DIY. I purchased color matching paint at Pep-Boys along with the sand paper and primer.

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...-kits-etc.html

Note: You can sand down the part that you are going to paint with or without the tape on. If you are wet sanding then you will need to tape, wet sand then re-tape when you are ready for primer. If you are very careful you can sand without any tape, just be sure not to sand the part you are not painting.

Here is the finished product:

Name:  IMG_6379_zps5b30b36d.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  140.4 KB

I ended up blacking out the RS with Plati-Dip:

Name:  IMG_5009_zps2760e350.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  93.9 KB
Old 05-07-2013
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,143 Likes on 798 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: DIY: Masking Before Painting (Grille)

Looks good

Got any up-close detail pics of the finished paint surface? Just curious how it looks up close.
Old 05-07-2013
CO&CA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TFMEX is a jewel in the roughTFMEX is a jewel in the roughTFMEX is a jewel in the rough

Excellent Job! +Rep

Good color match too
Old 05-07-2013
Prelude Owner

GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
Looks good

Got any up-close detail pics of the finished paint surface? Just curious how it looks up close.
Thanks!

Yea, ill take some when its sunny out. Tried taking some but can't really see it much.
Old 05-07-2013
Prelude Owner

Originally Posted by TFMEX
Excellent Job! +Rep

Good color match too
Thanks man!

Your painting DIY helped out a lot. Didn't feel the need to go into the painting detail since your DIY was great (thats why I hijacked it )
Old 05-12-2013
Prelude Owner

Here are some close up shots. Finally got a day with no rain! I think it matches pretty well. It helps when your paint is 12 years old and it is not garage kept.

Name:  IMG_7192_zps0a900c7b.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  71.9 KB

Name:  IMG_8493_zps93509239.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  100.7 KB

Name:  IMG_2469_zps9a61f3fb.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  78.7 KB