7th Gen Do It Yourself Articles Look here for anything and everything you want to do yourself for your Civic and save money! If you can't find what you were looking for here, what about writing an article yourself? Hep appreciated! Questions on how to do are better suited in the Mechanical issues section

CLASSIC DIY: vtec light

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
CLASSIC DIY: vtec light

I did not make this up, nor am I the first one to try it, I am simply the first one to type it up and take pictures. 'cwick187' already has one installed.

There are probably circuits for wiring this all over the net, I took the one that was posted a few days ago, changed it a little bit and wired it in.
This is so easy, if you can't do it, I'll personally come over to your house and beat you.
You need:
Wire
Tap Splices
1 5mm LED (pick a color)
A resistor (330, 470, 680, 1K OHM, you pick)
1 5mm LED Snap-in Holder
Radio Shack makes it one stop shopping, you can get out for less than $10.

Here goes... RTFM and find the page that tells you how to remove the glove box to get access to the cabin microfilters. Take everything out of the glove box and do it.
Then you will see a shiny silver box with a lot of wires going to it... that's the ECU. On the middle plug (it's white) you should see a green wire with a yellow stripe in the top center pin. That's the VTEC wire. You need to put a tap splice on it.... trace it back a few inches (there is only 1 green/yellow stripe wire) and put the tap in place. The other wire you need to find is a suitable ground. I used the ground I ran from the engine block for my other gauges, but any ground will work (the Cig lighter is convient).
Figure out where you want the LED to be. I wouldn't put it somewhere high in the car, it'll be on more than you think. Put it somewhere you can see out of the corner of your eye. I mounted mine with the rest of my gauges in the lower center console. Drill a 1/4" hole and put the LED holder in (no need to glue)... be careful where you pick, you need to be able to get to it from behind.
Time to set the LED up. You need to put the resistor in series with the ground lead of the LED (for those who don't speak electronics, you need to hook up one resistor lead to the shorter lead on the LED and the other end to the wire you grounded). I used heat shrink tubing, but soldering also works. I wouldn't use electrical tape. Wire the other lead from the LED to the wire you tapped into the ECU with. Boom.... done. You'll be surprised where VTEC really does engage.
Notes:
1: There are choices for resistors... you only need one, the higher the number, the dimmer the light. I used a 680 OHM and it's still visible in daylight.
2: This does not void your warranty. You are not doing anything to the ECU but monitoring a signal. It's the same as having a Honda Tech sit there with a diagnostic probe on the wire all day.
3. If anyone asks or tries to install this on an LX or DX, I will come to your house and personally beat you.
Old 01-01-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of
Re: CLASSIC DIY: vtec light

Will this work on a hybrid?
Old 01-01-2011
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

which one? some dont have vtec engine. and usually the wiring is different. someone with a hybrid manual maybe can chime in
Old 01-01-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Wait wait wait... Hybrids have VTEC?
Old 01-01-2011
Premium Member

CR-Z hybrid has i-VTEC, so does the Insight
Old 01-02-2011
Registered!!

lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by gearbox
That's crazy. That's what I get for trying to be funny. Great DIY forum. Yes, I said forum, cause you filled the entire forum. lol. You workin on anything now?
Old 01-02-2011
Registered!!

BTW, pleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease bring back edit, PLEASE!
Old 01-02-2011
Premium Member

wait that should be back already? i thought we fixed that a while ago to give you guys 2 months of edit time. also most diys were not done by me. i just reposted with pics filled in cause the links were dead. no, not working on anything car related anymore. its too cold got a few things to fix up again in summer including some painting.
Old 01-02-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

I want a CR-Z more and more... to bad the sticker price is way to high.

The Insight isn't a car, its a mistake, hence why I know nothing about it
Old 01-02-2011
Premium Member

i think cr-z is a mistake too lol. worst of hybrid and regular car combined. it doesnt do anything well except maybe look good. hard to believe its a hybrid when you look at how slow it is and how poor the mpg is. at least the insight gets decent mpg. the only hope for cr-z would be massive weight reduction inside, new lighter wheels, performance mods, and aerodynamic stuff to give it a chance. its just too heavy and they didnt do anything for weight like they did with all the other hybrids.
Old 01-02-2011
Kenny the Ricer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

tsk tsk lazlong for reviving a 2 yr old thread

And no pix on the DIY! :O
Old 01-02-2011
Johnny Tran stole my S2000 that I had over $100K in mods.

VTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to behold

I love the CR-Z.In Japan,many tuning companies already offer aerokits,weight reduction,and engine mods.Spoon is one of the more successful companies in tuning the CR-Z.They're CR-Z outputs around 150HP and the suspension has also been refined.I'd give anything to drive the Spoon CR-Z.As for the Insight,it's automobiles future.It creates little or no pollution at all because only water comes out the exhaust since the engine is powered by hydrogen,not petrol or batteries.
Old 01-02-2011
Premium Member

eh? insight is a regular gas engine hybrid. it uses the gas engine all the time and supplements with the electric motor. unless you mean in japan, but hydrogen is not a very cheap technology to implement. i doubt you would see those becoming famous. full electric cars maybe, but not the gas types (hydrogen/fuel cell/cng).
Old 01-03-2011

VTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to behold

eh? insight is a regular gas engine hybrid. it uses the gas engine all the time and supplements with the electric motor. unless you mean in japan, but hydrogen is not a very cheap technology to implement. i doubt you would see those becoming famous. full electric cars maybe, but not the gas types (hydrogen/fuel cell/cng).
OH!Dammit,I mixed up the Insight with the FCX Clarity.Now that runs on hydrogen.Lol,my bad guys
Old 01-03-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Honda is introducing a gas only CR-Z, thats the model that will really interest me in the future. Full electric is more practical than hydrogen and the infrastructure already exists, the car companies just aren`t willing to build them.
Old 01-03-2011
Premium Member

or if they do, they make them really crappy.
Old 01-03-2011

Gas CR-Z?I'd like to see a K20A in there!Lol,better not put the crap R16 or R18.I want the Z3 or some new engine (With power).The FCX is only available So Cal and it gets 68mpg.Hydrogen is about $5 or $6 per gallon or something.It's not for sale,just leasing.But it would be a fun car to drive for a little while.I still think it's a great car and it'll be around in the future.Scientists will probably find a way to obtain hydrogen a lot easier.