Auto X/Road Racing Auto X and Road Course Forum

Swapping out crash bolts...

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2004
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Swapping out crash bolts...

If I were to pull out the camber bolts, and put stock crashbolts back in, I could in theory add a lot of negative camber and not screw the rest of the alignment up right?
Old 06-04-2004
Autocross Junky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Yup.... Because you are adjusting the camber at the Knuckle you arnt affecting Toe..
Old 06-04-2004
Registered!!

slowvic is an unknown quantity at this point
camber always effects toe.
Old 06-04-2004
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
How so? when you are adjusting camber with a camber plate you end up adjusting toe because you are changing the angle of the strut. (our steering rack is attached to the strut) When you adjust camber from the knuckle the strut doesnt move, so Toe is not affected.
Old 06-05-2004
Addicted to the Twisties!

FattyMcJ will become famous soon enoughFattyMcJ will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Zzyzx
How so? when you are adjusting camber with a camber plate you end up adjusting toe because you are changing the angle of the strut. (our steering rack is attached to the strut) When you adjust camber from the knuckle the strut doesnt move, so Toe is not affected.

The man's got a point.
Old 06-05-2004
Retired suspension supermod.

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
if you do think about the angle, however, you are adjusting the toe, but ever so slightly because of the steering arm being attached the way it is. it won't be much but it will still slightly change the toe.
Old 06-05-2004
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CrazyCakes is an unknown quantity at this point
stupid question, what are 'crash bolts' ? is it where the strut ataches to the knuckle, those bottom two bolts???
Old 06-06-2004
Addicted to the Twisties!

FattyMcJ will become famous soon enoughFattyMcJ will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by CrazyCakes
stupid question, what are 'crash bolts' ? is it where the strut ataches to the knuckle, those bottom two bolts???

Uh...yes....
Old 06-06-2004

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
The main crash bolt would be the top bolt attached to the mount. Either one can change the angle, but the top one is better to use.
Old 06-09-2004
Registered!!

blackdc5 is an unknown quantity at this point
When you adjust camber through the crash bolts, the toe becomes offset everso slightly as previously mentioned (but drastically less than adjusting camber via camber plates). Have you guys who have used crash bolts (smaller diameter than stock) experienced any slippage? I've heard the crash bolts tend to slip out of alignment during hard cornering.
Old 06-09-2004

not that I am aware of, but then again i really haven't checked. It is hard to tell because the camber doesn't move that much to visually see.
Old 06-10-2004
Registered!!

blackdc5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Well, with my setup, I'm running -2deg. camber up front and if I were to have less neg. camber, I would need to get crash bolts. I'm thinking of getting the OEM crash bolts and I'm thinking of only getting 1 bolt so it would be less prone to slippage. Do you think I should use the smaller diam. crash bolt on the upper or lower hole to counter any possibility of slippage?
Old 06-10-2004
Registered!!

slowvic is an unknown quantity at this point
Adjusting camber with crash bolts still affects toe. Camber plates move the top of the strut in and out while crash bolts move the bottom in and out. Both affect the angle of the strut, thus affecting toe.
Old 06-11-2004
Autocross Junky

Originally Posted by slowvic
Adjusting camber with crash bolts still affects toe. Camber plates move the top of the strut in and out while crash bolts move the bottom in and out. Both affect the angle of the strut, thus affecting toe.

I still Dissagree. The strut is attached to the Knuckle,

Part # 2/1 at the top where the 2 holes are.
and when you adjust camber with a camber plate the whole assembly changes angles, but when you adjust camber with the crash bolt, you are changing the angle that they intersect.

Its changing the angle of the whole system Vs changing the angle of the Knuckle. if there is a toe change it is minimal.