Auto X/Road Racing Auto X and Road Course Forum

Rim size question for auto-x/tracking.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2004
Autocross Junky
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
The Azenis can over heat, when is determined by how hard you are on them. (I know of a few people that do track days with them and never had a problem) They start to get greasy at about 180-190 F and are pretty much done at 200 F. Temps that you would NEVER reach on the street. The Kumho MX is best at about 170F, were the Azenis is best at about 140F-150F.

Rain.... ever since the national tour I attended down in Phoenix, Rain doesnt bother me. In fact I'd love to do another event in the rain. as far as how the Falkens did, They amazed me as to how much grip they maintained when it was wet out. Their one downfall however is Standing water (puddles) They simply dont have enough Voids to evacuate enough water from under the tire when you hit puddles. So they have a tendedncy to hydorplane. So when its just slick out they are great, when there is a lot of Standing water.... Slow down!!!

You seem to be cought in the issue of " how sticky of a tire can I run that will still get decent milage"... So you may want to figure out how long you want them to last and then narrow your choices down from there.

Like this, With combined Street Track and autocross Dont expect to get more then 10,000 Miles out of a set of Falken Azenis or Kumho MX. Take out the Track and Autocross and you'd probably be able to extend that to 15,000 maybe more. So if you want your tires to last longer then that your going to have to exclude most 200 or Sub 200 tread wear tires.

You may have to bite the bullet and just get somethign that will be good on the street and give you good milage, and just deal with the limited traction on track untill you can get another set of wheels/tires to use exclusivly on the track.
Old 03-04-2004
You boost, I-VTEC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hawk is a jewel in the roughHawk is a jewel in the roughHawk is a jewel in the rough
so basically what your saying is save up for a set of 16x7's (rota slipstreams come with 45 offset 5x114.3, didn't know that ) and put the good tires on those and use them for only tracking and auto-x, and use my cooper mudders for daily usage?

Seems like a good idea to me, i could really care less how my car looks now a days.
Old 03-04-2004
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Thats pretty much what I do, one set of Allseason performance tires on my 17s and one set of Falken Azenis on my 15s....
Old 03-04-2004
You boost, I-VTEC

Hawk is a jewel in the roughHawk is a jewel in the roughHawk is a jewel in the rough
ode to live in Nevada where you can run performance tires on 17's year round
Old 03-04-2004
Registered!!

pbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant future
if you live in nevada, you can ride your bike all year long...so youll probably just use the car for track only anyway. lol
Old 03-04-2004
Autocross Junky

^^ I dont like riding when its 30 Deg out or when its 120

Just because its a desert doesn't mean its Hot all the time, It gets freakin cold here in the winter, Low 20s at night maybe in the 40s to 50s durring the day. it just doesnt rain enough for it to snow. and we did get snow this year (lasted till noon).
Old 03-04-2004
You boost, I-VTEC

yea i think you'd die riding in 120 degree weather exspeically with full gear on, hell i was dying in 95 degree weather last year.
Old 03-04-2004
Registered!!

pbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant future
sorry...didnt mean to jack your thread. lol