Auto X/Road Racing Auto X and Road Course Forum

Just got back from first Auto-X!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2004
You boost, I-VTEC
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hawk is a jewel in the roughHawk is a jewel in the roughHawk is a jewel in the rough
Talking Just got back from first Auto-X!!

all i can say is anyone who hasn't done it yet do it...please? you owe it to your car.

I didn't do to bad for a first timer, the instructer was really impressed and asked me if i was sure i hadn't done it before

My next mod is most deffinetly tires, it was quite ugly trying to take the fast sweepers with my cooper mudders. Some falkens are in my very near future. And a LSD, whole lot of tire spin coming out of the turns.

I should have a action shot or two shortly, just have to wait for the NASA to post the pictures.

And i might have a video to cause my friend took a video from outside the car

Everyone who praises auto-x is damn right! i'm offically hooked!
Old 03-14-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DC5@EM2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Congrats Hawk, Im glad you like. Id try it, but i think my car is a little too spunky for auto-x now. I guess I could always try. I have like two different tracks by my house that are about 30-40 mins away. This year Ill try to get to it......
Old 03-14-2004

silverem2 is a jewel in the roughsilverem2 is a jewel in the roughsilverem2 is a jewel in the rough
sounds like you had alot of fun, does it cost anything to enter?
Old 03-14-2004
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
LSD won't help, it'll hurt. Just learn to not put your foot all the way into it. It'll just want to pull on the inner tire and you'll have to constantly fight it. The tires will help the cause as well.
And no more bitching about needing parts until you learn how to drive

sounds like you had alot of fun, does it cost anything to enter?
SCCA events usually run $15-$25 to enter. Dunno what NASA charges but prolly the same.

Last edited by Boilermaker1; 03-14-2004 at 07:41 PM.
Old 03-14-2004
You boost, I-VTEC

Hawk is a jewel in the roughHawk is a jewel in the roughHawk is a jewel in the rough
put a set of Cooper Lifeliners on your orange rims and tell me how you do then you'll see why i need tires.

And yea i was alittle heavy on the pedal, its all about knowing when and how much
Old 03-14-2004
Jap-Euro Fusion

Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally posted by Hawk
put a set of Cooper Lifeliners on your orange rims and tell me how you do then you'll see why i need tires.

And yea i was alittle heavy on the pedal, its all about knowing when and how much
I'll pass... 40 degrees and heat loving Kumhos was enough sliding around for me. I did one day on the stock shitstones and that was plenty for me.
Get some summer tires or Falkens or something, then just learn to drive it. You'll be better off learning to deal with the body roll and understeer than letting new parts do all the work.
Old 03-14-2004
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Welcome to the Addiction..

A long time autocrosser once told me "corner exit wheel spin can easily be controled by your right foot." and this guy has been autocrossing longer then I've been alive..... His first autocross was in the 60s.

DC5@EM2, the one thing your going to have problems with is Corner Exits. otherwise once you learn to control that, you'll be fine.

Hawk, I dont know how NASA classes the cars, but if you can you may want to run a Good Kumho R compound tire like the V700 Ecsta or the Victoracer.

Last edited by Zzyzx; 03-14-2004 at 09:31 PM.
Old 03-14-2004
Premium Member

civic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond repute
all this talk about auto-xing makes me wanna try
Old 03-14-2004
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Heres some Vid of the local Vegas Autocrossers....

http://www.cpdserver.com/conecam/video/allon.wmv

http://www.cpdserver.com/conecam/video/daveshotz.wmv
http://www.cpdserver.com/conecam/vid...eoFinal1Mb.wmv
Old 03-14-2004
Jap-Euro Fusion

and in car vids of me 2 weeks ago...
here
Just ignore the Initial D move... you're not supposed to do that.
Old 03-15-2004
You boost, I-VTEC

everyone there was recommending the Falken Azenis, one guy that tracks/auto-x's his mini cooper told me he loves the Azenis, and a guy with a RSX said the same thing. I just gotta save up the money for some rotas and the tires.

I was all over the damn place with the coopers. One guy said to me "man you need some tires on that thing."
Old 03-15-2004
You boost, I-VTEC

action photos
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	img_5467.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	23869  
Old 03-15-2004
You boost, I-VTEC

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	img_5468.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	23870  
Old 03-15-2004
Jap-Euro Fusion

Holy body roll. Thats what my car used to look like....
What the hell happened to the fender?
Old 03-15-2004
You boost, I-VTEC

Yea that happened when i first got the car back on the road, i forgot the cotter pin in the lower ball joint, suspension kinda came apart...oh well, it don't look pretty but its quick.

and btw the reason its rolls like that is because its the stock rsx springs/shocks, only after market goody is the progress rear sway bar.
Old 03-15-2004
You boost, I-VTEC

one of the faster guys there was this guy, he was beating the minis and some of the miatas
i later found it he's kinda a profesional, his other car is a race prepped M3

Old 03-15-2004
Autocross Junky

Originally posted by Hawk
everyone there was recommending the Falken Azenis, one guy that tracks/auto-x's his mini cooper told me he loves the Azenis, and a guy with a RSX said the same thing. I just gotta save up the money for some rotas and the tires.

I was all over the damn place with the coopers. One guy said to me "man you need some tires on that thing."
No doubt, I Love my Falkens... But if It were legal for my class, I'd be running a stickier tire.... The Azenis Vs the Kumho V700 Escta or Victoracer is worth about a second on the same car... Thats the difference between a 200 Tread wear of the Azenis Vs a 50 tread wear of the V700. Not that tread wear is all that acurate between MFGs, but you get the idea.

V7oo Ecsta

V700 Victoracer

Falken Azenis
Old 03-15-2004
Registered!!

Location: Edwardsburg, Elkhart, Granger, Mishawka, South Bend
Snakey is an unknown quantity at this point
nice vids boilermaker...... looks like you guys run a more open track layout then what we get stuck with...
Old 03-15-2004
You boost, I-VTEC

from the looks of it the NASA rules state any tire 80 tread wear and below bump you up 5 points, i'm at 10 already 15 would bump me up a class.....so Azenis it is

http://www.nasanortheast.com/images/nasa-x.pdf
Old 03-15-2004
Registered!!

lberry is an unknown quantity at this point
Welcome to the addiction!
Our first SCCA event of this season is this sunday in DFW.
Old 03-15-2004
Registered!!

lberry is an unknown quantity at this point
I just saw that Zzyzx wrote the same thing.
AutoX is like and uncurable disease!
Old 03-15-2004
Autocross Junky

With how much fun this sport is, It amazes me as to how hard it is to get people to come out.

More Vids.... This time of me , thanks goes out to Boilermaker for hosting these for me.

Hawk, Canada has an interesting classing system. Seems a bit more Dynamic then the SCCA classes (wich are very ridged)

Basically in the SCCA you have Stock, then Street touring (STS and STX nationally, ST2 and STU have been approved for Local events) then Street Modified, then Street prepaired,then Prepaired, then Modified (A-Modified is the Theoretical Fastes class).

Last edited by Zzyzx; 03-15-2004 at 12:21 PM.
Old 03-15-2004
Registered!!

00celicagts6spd is an unknown quantity at this point
I watched an awesome vid of my teamates turbo celica friday night doin an auto X event and it looked fun but hard. lol I'll see if I can get a digital copy of it and post it.

Once my engine crap is done I'll put my interior back and try it. you guys seem to have a lotta fun out there!
Old 03-15-2004
You boost, I-VTEC

if you haven't ever done auto-x you owe it to yourself and your car to do it, its way more fun than straight line racing, and you really get to see how good of a driver you actually are, and how bad your tires are
Old 03-15-2004
Autocross Junky

I believe the quote goes like this....

"Drag racing is for fast cars, Autocross is for fast drivers."
Old 03-17-2004
Riceburners Bitch

blkdak99rt is an unknown quantity at this point
Zzyzx those videos of you doing that is really cool and i see i definatly will need upgraded brakes if i want to ever to the fun stuff
Old 03-17-2004
Autocross Junky

Supprisingly for autocross, brake upgrades arn't really nessisary. Just change the pads and thats about all you need.
Old 03-17-2004
Riceburners Bitch

my truck is a bit heavier though.... ive seen guys using the r/t autocrossing and it looks like fun and it truly handles great for a truck

and the best thing is they are better then lightnings at it
Old 03-17-2004
Autocross Junky

I've seen an R/T Run, Did pretty good for a truck.
Old 03-17-2004
Riceburners Bitch

yea i guess your right it comes down to knowing the limits of your vehicle and yourself

Quick Reply: Just got back from first Auto-X!!