Auto X/Road Racing Auto X and Road Course Forum

Left Foot Braking.... Why Didn't I learn this earlier???

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2004
Autocross Junky
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by MangoEX
You guys mean braking WHILE accelerating? my friend tried it once in his crappy corolla, and it felt weird
nononono...

its a racing technique for cornering, where as you feather off the gas you feather on the brake. it smooths out the transistion form accelrating to brakeing making the car more stable for the turn. also you can play the brake off the gas durring the corner to alter the understeer/oversteer balance = faster cornering speeds = lower lap times.
Old 03-02-2004
Registered!!

usafstud will become famous soon enoughusafstud will become famous soon enough
I use during the beginning of my turning process for HIGH SPEED SWEEPER (bowls, i call them). I would toe-heel on the straight to slow down and be on the right gear.

Then I start braking with my left foot gently. Then as i start turning, i'm on the gas with my right foot. Then my left foot is gently adjusting the brake to help keep my car handle neutrally.

This technique helped me to pass higher hp FWD cars (ITR, SI, GSR) on the sweepers.

I think this technique is more useful in ROAD RACING than AUTOCRossing since we have higher speed turns that are of less agressive angle than AUTOX
Old 03-02-2004
Autocross Junky
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Its usefull in autocross because you dont shift too often, if at all. More to give you the maximum amount of time on the gas before you brake (Saving you a tenth of Off gas on to brake time where your coasting)

example, at the national tour in Phoenix, onece I got it in to 2nd, I stayed there for the rest of the track, so I left foot braked for the rest of the run.
Old 03-04-2004
All Eyes On Z

SlammedBlueEM2 is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by robbclark1
first time I did it, I slammed on them, the ABS kicked in and I came to a dead hault! i need to practice more.
lol, same story here except my ABS didn't kick in.
Old 03-04-2004
Back From The Banned!

CuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really nice
Originally posted by Zzyzx
Clutchless upshifting is easy, down shifting..... Thats a pain.

simple process for upshifting,

1. as you let off the gas pop the thing in to Neutral (the point when the car is nither accelerating nor decelerating is the point where there is minimal pressure on the dog teath of the collar.)
2. push the gear lever tward the next higher gear (Dont push too hard, it doesnt take much effort)
3. when the RPMs drop to the point where the Transmission and the engine are running at the same RPMs, the gear (with you appling a bit of presure) should just drop in to gear.

Downshifting, same process as above except after you've droped the car in to neutural you rev the engine to match the tranny and engine RPMs.

Don't do it too often but its a good thing to know.
Thanks, very interesting! But I dont think I will try that.......
Old 03-31-2004
Roy
Registered!!

Roy is an unknown quantity at this point
left foot braking is a very helpful technique... HOWEVER, it does not benefit you in a car with a seat that does not support you. In our cars, without a racing bucket seat, I found it almost in tolerable. I found that driving was smoother using your left foot to brace and support yourself.