Auto X/Road Racing Auto X and Road Course Forum

AutoCross

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2003
Chicks dig my scent

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
civicskater is an unknown quantity at this point
i want to autocross so bad(a couple weeks)...my sisters boyfriend autocrosses in his 91 GSR and loves it, I've gone to a couple of his races in the mountains and they're fricken awesome, hes got a shop/team. Im gonna start doing it but i wont be in the beginning class....ouch, done too many mods...but ive ridden with him and am learning day by day

check out www.hightach.com
Old 12-08-2003
Registered!!

lberry is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: lberry

Originally posted by Just_Call_Me_J
Did you by some chance compete at the last Autocross in the Dallas area? I think I recall seeing your car there. Did you do well? Was that the last competition of the year?

Do you know where I can find out more about Autocrossing in the future?

Good luck!

Yes that was me..
I placed 7th overall in the Novice for the 2003 season and I only went to 5 of the 9 events.
Next year I am no going to run in the novice class. STS all the way next season.
You can find out about future SCCA events in the Dallas area at: http://www.autocross.com/texasregion/
Also this club has events http://autocross.com/er/

I have been trying to get more 7th gens out there but no one ever shows up.

If you are interested there will be a Solo2 school in March 04 that Texas Region SCCA puts on. I would highly recommend going. I will be attending it. They usually post the date a month or two before so bookmark the link and check back at the first of the year. It's usually $60 and that includes class on Saturday and competition on Sunday.
All other SCCA events are $25 for non-members and $15 for members
Old 12-08-2003
Registered!!

Just_Call_Me_J is an unknown quantity at this point
Female Competitors

Are there a lot of females who compete at these competitions? I heard about Autocrossing through a friend of mine who runs an import car website here in Dallas. She said she was going to sign up for those classes you were talking about, and she was so hyped up about it that she got me all interested in it. I'm just wondering if whether or not it's more testosterone dominated than anything.

Do any of you ever compete at shows or is it 'all go?'
Old 12-08-2003
Autocross Junky
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Theres ushually a good mix, at least there is in Las Vegas. Obviously there are more men then woman as with most motorsports but Every one is welcome. Go on out, have some fun and meet some new people.
Old 12-09-2003
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Female Competitors

Are there a lot of females who compete at these competitions? I heard about Autocrossing through a friend of mine who runs an import car website here in Dallas. She said she was going to sign up for those classes you were talking about, and she was so hyped up about it that she got me all interested in it. I'm just wondering if whether or not it's more testosterone dominated than anything.

I don't compete in shows, but I can't say that I've got a true trackwhore either. I'd be lying if I told you I didn't care what my car looked like. You don't go out and buy orange race wheels and expect to go unnoticed on race day.
Its a different kind of show I guess. No one cares about your car unless it goes fast, if it goes fast, people get interested in it. It doesn't matter how much money, fiberglass, carbon fiber and speakers are in it.

They offer Ladies classes (denoted with an L after the class; STSL, HSL, etc...) Just for women. I do see quite a few women show up to each event, and some of them are quite fast. Others seem to be forced into trying it by their husbands and just "try not to spill the coffee."
Old 12-09-2003
Retired suspension supermod.

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
In our region it seems like alot of the women doing it are there with their husbands/boyfriends. They have been coming to these races for awhile and now decided they would like to try it. There is a family that runs our division, the Garfields. Brian is the main guy, but his dad and HIS MOM race too. She races an S4 i believe and she if frickin good. then you have brian's 5 year-old son out there in his cart!! It is frickin awesome.
Old 12-09-2003
Registered!!

Re: Female Competitors

Like Boilermaker1 said "They offer Ladies classes" and yes some of the women are very quick.
Everyone is very supportive at the events. It's all about having fun and learning the potental of your driving skills.
That friend of yours...Is her site called Import Rush? If so I know who you are talking about. I got her interested in it.

No I do not do shows. My car is a dailer driver and one weekend a month autocross car.
I would not exactly call it "All Go" either..maybe grocery getting, cornering machine...we only drive Civics.
Old 12-09-2003
Registered!!

Re: Re: Female Competitors

Originally posted by lberry
Like Boilermaker1 said "They offer Ladies classes" and yes some of the women are very quick.
Everyone is very supportive at the events. It's all about having fun and learning the potental of your driving skills.
That friend of yours...Is her site called Import Rush? If so I know who you are talking about. I got her interested in it.

No I do not do shows. My car is a dailer driver and one weekend a month autocross car.
I would not exactly call it "All Go" either..maybe grocery getting, cornering machine...we only drive Civics.

lberry

Yeah, that's the website. We're actually just acquaintances who have bumped into each other every so often at car shows. I've been wanting to see how I can get involved with what she does, but man, she's all over the place and is always busy. She's one cool chic, though - all that she does with the import industry. She doesn't compete, from what I know, but a lot of us girls dig the fact that she has the guts to do what she does. I see her on stage taking photos, and it's really neat how she can just by-pass all that security. But, she keeps it real mellow and doesn't let that hype get to her. I think she was going to do drag racing at one time, but I don't know her enough to know what she's doing these days. I just know that a lot of guys dig her for trying to cross over in this male-dominated industry. Plus, they like her at the parties afterwards, she knows a lot of "big people" in the industry, and they find it really hot that she socializes with them. And yeah - she definitely gets down on the dance floor - we ALL (guys and girls) dig that! I should get her to join this site just so you guys can talk to her, she's not your typical dumb chic.

Anyway, how do you know her? You think you could hook me up, you know, to work with her? By the way, I like your banner.

Keep racing...
Old 12-10-2003
Registered!!

do you guys want more girls to join this site?
Old 12-11-2003
Addicted to the Twisties!

FattyMcJ will become famous soon enoughFattyMcJ will become famous soon enough
Hell yeah!!!
Old 12-11-2003
Registered!!

Eeeeeeh is an unknown quantity at this point
We need some Texas girls!!! COWGIRLS TOO!!!!
Old 12-11-2003
Registered!!

well lberry, i guess you need to get 'you know who' on here.
Old 12-11-2003
Registered!!

I agree..... but I thought we were talking about AutoXing on this Thread
Old 12-11-2003
Registered!!

so i guess you're saying GIRLS can't talk about autocrossing on here. i see how you are.
Old 12-11-2003
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
wha...????

how did you get that girls wen't allowed to talk about autocross form him saying, that he thought that this thread was suppose to be about autocross rather then trying to get girls on to this site...???

Unless you're just teasing him, then its all fine and good. Just be aware that Inflections don't translate well in text.

Old 12-12-2003

Originally posted by Zzyzx
wha...????

Just be aware that Inflections don't translate well in text.

I've been trying to say that for MONTHS!!! lol

Actually, I agree that we need more females, however, not for the reasons that most think. We just need more DIVERSITY!!!! We have just about every ethnic background represented, now we need MORE girls. I know we have a FEW, but we need more of them to be un-TIMID!!! TALK LADIES!!!

Also, I agree, we should try to keep this thread AUTO-X talk ONLY!!!

So......I'm done about women here.
Old 12-18-2003

Hey guys...quick question.

Borrowing a helmet was cool for the first time...but it kinda stunk...so...

WHERE CAN I BUY A GOOD HELMET?

Is a motorcycle helmet acceptable?
Old 12-18-2003
Registered!!

Linky for what kind of helmets are required: http://www.sfrscca.com/solo2/faq/auto.htm#113
These requirements change each year and I don't know how up to date this is.
Old 12-18-2003
Autocross Junky

currently the SCCA allows Snell 98 or newer. Just get a Snell 2000. why buy a helmet that will not be leagal in a year....

Snell updates their ratings every 2 years, the SCCA allows for helmets snell rated to the last update... Ie. when snell 2002 comes out Snell 98 will no longer be legal.

atleast thats my understanding.
Old 12-18-2003
Registered!!

Originally posted by Zzyzx
currently the SCCA allows Snell 98 or newer. Just get a Snell 2000. why buy a helmet that will not be leagal in a year....

Snell updates their ratings every 2 years, the SCCA allows for helmets snell rated to the last update... Ie. when snell 2002 comes out Snell 98 will no longer be legal.

atleast thats my understanding.
Can't you get an old helmet re-rated? I don't remember what my helmet is but I was told I can't use it next season.
Old 12-18-2003
Jap-Euro Fusion

Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
I was under the impression that Snell ratings came out every 5 years and the 2 latest revisons were legal. So until Snell 2005 comes out, 2000 and 95 ratings are still acceptable.
Old 12-18-2003
Autocross Junky

^^ that may be right, Im not sure....

as far as rerating.... I think you have to send the helmet back to the manufacturer to get it re-rated assuming its up to spec with the new rating and it doesnt have any damage.

here's a link to the Snell memorial foundation

I highly reccomend getting the best helmet you can afford, SA2000 is better then M2000 but both are legal for SCCA autocross. How much is your head worth to you???

Last edited by Zzyzx; 12-18-2003 at 11:00 AM.
Old 12-18-2003
Registered!!

I just looked at my helmet and it is a Snell 90. I guess my helmet has not been legal the whole season. Ha!Ha!
It was a free helmet....The tech people never said anything until the last event. Oh well...I am geting a new helmet for next year.
Old 12-19-2003

WOW...thanks guys! I just went and checked out how much a helmet is going to cost me...plain black open faced...about $150...good or bad?
Old 12-19-2003
Autocross Junky

decent, whats its rating?
M or SA
Old 12-20-2003
Jap-Euro Fusion

For SA2000, $150 for an open face is a good price. If its an M2000, I'd be thinking more like 100.
Old 12-20-2003

Don't know...I'll check..
Old 01-03-2004

Ok, so today I bought a new helmet from my local motorcycle shop.

It's a SNELL M2000 Rated black open faced helmet.

$85 was the price

Whatcha think? Rules say that SNELL M90 is acceptable, but the guy at the motorcycle shop said that snell re-rates helmets every 5 years....this taken into account...I should be good to go for about six more years...right?

I love the helmet except for one thing....does anyone elses helmet not allow them room for their HEAD?!? Inside the car I mean, like for me to fit into the car, seat all the way down, and at a descent recline, I have to have my head in the sun-roof area where I have a good two inches extra! HELP, is this normal or is there something I can do?
Old 01-03-2004
Retired suspension supermod.

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
yeah if you aren't racing to go to nationals, they usually won't care as long as you are wearing a helmet. $85 isn't bad. I paid like $70 for mine and it is open face. The helmet will do that if you are tall. I have a hard time fitting my head in the car. Just stick it out the sunroof .
Old 01-03-2004
Autocross Junky

I need a shorter seat too...

Quick Reply: AutoCross