Introduce Yourself! New member to the site? Stop in here and introduce yourself and make some friends. Strangers = danger!!

Hello Everyone, I already have a question lol

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BrendanPCB02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hello Everyone, I already have a question lol

First off, hello everyone my name is Brendan, I'm 28 and currently living in upstate NY and working in Western Massachusetts (23 miles one way), but May 5 I'll be moving back down to Florida and currently drive a 2002 Honda civic EX sedan A/T with 166,800 miles on it, I have replaced the wheels with original 15s, tires (cooper cs3s), lower control arm bushings, catalytic converter, full exhaust, rear struts, rear sway links, both front brake calipers, resurfaced the drums and changed both pads and the shoes, it has a short ram intake, and new timing belt and water pump, after just reciting that list I'm pretty certain my car will have absolutely no problem making it the 1339 mile trip to Panama City but why do I still have little faith? The only problem I know that my car has is a worn front strut mount, other than that the car drives straight and makes your normal older car noises, squeaks and thumps (no noise insulation) but not the sounds of something wrong with it. I planned on putting aside $150 for gas, $50 for tolls (no clue how much the tolls are down I-95 from Albany NY to Jacksonville, FL, $150 in case I decide to rest at a hotel ( we have two drivers), and $300 for an emergency fund, any other ideas for money to set aside? I'd appreciate it more than you know!
Old 03-19-2016
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,156 Likes on 806 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hello Everyone, I already have a question lol

Back when I made the trip from Charleston, SC to Saratoga Springs, NY, only money I really used was for food, gas, and those dreadful tolls. Back in 05, the tolls were cash only too. Lol.

Sounds like you got everything covered

Edit: the only tolls I encountered were on the turnpike and upstate on the 95
Old 03-19-2016
Prelude Owner

Received 305 Likes on 215 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Welcome.

$50 for tolls should be enough. Between Richmond and Philadelphia is where 95 gets you with tolls. I have not taken 95 any further North then Philadelphia and used to visit family down in Charelston SC but I remember the tolls being closer together. Though I did pick up my brother in law from BWI and it was something like $15-$20 in toll money to get him. The PA turnpike has tolls and they can get expensive. I think you can check out toll rates for the route you want to take online.

$150 for gas should be good also.

Check your spare tire condition, can of Fix-a-Flat might be nice.

Tolls are still cash only, unless you are referring to an Easy Pass.
Old 03-19-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by GolNat
Welcome.

$50 for tolls should be enough. Between Richmond and Philadelphia is where 95 gets you with tolls. I have not taken 95 any further North then Philadelphia and used to visit family down in Charelston SC but I remember the tolls being closer together. Though I did pick up my brother in law from BWI and it was something like $15-$20 in toll money to get him. The PA turnpike has tolls and they can get expensive. I think you can check out toll rates for the route you want to take online.

$150 for gas should be good also.

Check your spare tire condition, can of Fix-a-Flat might be nice.

Tolls are still cash only, unless you are referring to an Easy Pass.
Spare seems to be in great condition, also I'm in Hoosick Falls I just moved back here from Ballston Spa haha, bad idea due to the PFOA water problem shooting all over the news, go ahead, Google my town, its bad...
Maybe I will take 85 down which has way less tolls! Then cut through Tennessee into Alabama and straight through to 231 through Dothan, Alabama into Panama City that way, someone stated on yahoo answers I'll save myself more in tolls and the mileage is 1350 which is amazingly only less than 20 miles more so not much more gas than before. So just got the car back from the shop. When I get to Florida I need to get rid of that exhaust, its obnoxious haha but it was cheap and works for now, its a 2.5 inch to a 4.5 can, my lord is it LOUD even with silencer in (I started it, lowered my head, whispered to myself, FAIL), REALLY wish I hadn't opted that cheap should have spent the extra $90 for the OE part, I just didn't have the money. My lease is up May 1 so gotta save as much as possible. Thanks for the suggestions, just trying to be safe and play it safe, you know?
Old 03-19-2016
Registered!!

BTW I did the exhaust only because where the original catalytic converter met my mid pipe it was rotted so bad it wasn't salvageable so, converter was $400 alone had only an extra $100 to be able to spend so opted for a barely used cat back from a friend, I'm not really into tuning my cars or anything if I had the money that'd be one thing, I simply don't, the brand is tsudo and its just loud as hell, I checked all bolt up points, no sign of any leaks so hmm
Old 03-19-2016
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about

Hi Brendan, welcome. I am originally from the Binghamton area and use to make business trips to Jacksonville, you'll like it, nice beaches tall pine and palm trees. Check the condition of all your hoses and belts, all fluid levels before the trip. Motel 6 in smaller town, they are usually in the hood areas of big cities.
Old 03-19-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by 06 EX Mild Mods
Hi Brendan, welcome. I am originally from the Binghamton area and use to make business trips to Jacksonville, you'll like it, nice beaches tall pine and palm trees. Check the condition of all your hoses and belts, all fluid levels before the trip. Motel 6 in smaller town, they are usually in the hood areas of big cities.
Thank you! I did put a new timing belt, water pump and accessory belt in it less than 6,800 miles ago. New coolant, today new control arm bushings, new converter, new exhaust, new wheels (OE 15" Honda wheels) I had bought cheap Pacer unilug wheels and for the life of me couldn't get them balanced correctly so shook excessively over 65! Now, no more problems over 65, got used tires on the new wheels so my back tires are Aeoli which I've never heard of but almost same pattern as my Cooper CS3 up front, with about 60% tread remaining on rear Aeolis and 70-80% on the Cooper's, I'll actually be driving to Jacksonville then connecting to I-10 to our final destination of Panama City. I know Jacksonville is nice I had lived there when I was 14-16 years old, its a very large city in terms of land mass and gorgeous, just never drove there, can you please give me an idea on the prices of toll's? I'll really appreciate it.
Old 03-21-2016
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BrendanPCB02
Spare seems to be in great condition, also I'm in Hoosick Falls I just moved back here from Ballston Spa haha, bad idea due to the PFOA water problem shooting all over the news, go ahead, Google my town, its bad...
Wow, never thought I'd hear anyone mention Ballston Spa ever again. Lol. I was stationed at the Navy nuclear training site there from December 2004 to May 2005
Old 03-22-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
Wow, never thought I'd hear anyone mention Ballston Spa ever again. Lol. I was stationed at the Navy nuclear training site there from December 2004 to May 2005
Haha yeah that was right down the road, that's a small facility or so it looks from the road. I loved my friend thinking it was the headquarters for the NSA I had to reassure him he was fine all the time. I can imagine you don't miss it at all
Old 03-22-2016
Registered!!

I was stationed briefly in Scotia at Stratton air national guard but that was only a short drive away down route 50.
Old 03-22-2016
Administrator
Administrator

Originally Posted by BrendanPCB02
Haha yeah that was right down the road, that's a small facility or so it looks from the road. I loved my friend thinking it was the headquarters for the NSA I had to reassure him he was fine all the time. I can imagine you don't miss it at all
Kinda small facility, you could walk from one side to the other in probably 15 minutes at a leisurely pace. It does, however, house 2 nuclear reactors plants used solely for training Naval personnel in operating nuclear reactors used in shipboard power plants. Well, kinda. One was a mockup of the plant used in guided/ballistic missle subs, and one was a "frankenplant," designed to see if they could make a reactor plant from spare parts. There is a giant sphere (we called the "dig ball," for the plant's D1G designation) that contains almost nothing, but it did once house a nuclear reactor that has since long been dismantled.

I kinda miss it. I'm an avid snowboarder, and.. West mountain (I think?) had military wednesday lift tickets for $35. Driving a lowered civic, though, made that a hell of a challenge. lol

Weather did start to get reaaaaaaallly pretty when I was leaving, too.
Old 03-23-2016
Registered!!

Kinda small facility, you could walk from one side to the other in probably 15 minutes at a leisurely pace. It does, however, house 2 nuclear reactors plants used solely for training Naval personnel in operating nuclear reactors used in shipboard power plants. Well, kinda. One was a mockup of the plant used in guided/ballistic missle subs, and one was a "frankenplant," designed to see if they could make a reactor plant from spare parts. There is a giant sphere (we called the "dig ball," for the plant's D1G designation) that contains almost nothing, but it did once house a nuclear reactor that has since long been dismantled.

I kinda miss it. I'm an avid snowboarder, and.. West mountain (I think?) had military wednesday lift tickets for $35. Driving a lowered civic, though, made that a hell of a challenge. lol

Weather did start to get reaaaaaaallly pretty when I was leaving, too.
Haha yeah I'd imagine a lowered civic would be a challenge mine is only .5" dropped for a damn good reason, the roads around here SUCK and lots of dirt roads and west mountain you're correct. I miss seeing that navy blue camo.