Introduce Yourself! New member to the site? Stop in here and introduce yourself and make some friends. Strangers = danger!!

New guy here!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kingkiwi44 is on a distinguished road
New guy here!!

Hey everyone, looking to purchase a civic soon, and i'm researching now. Ive found a nice one but haven't been able to contact anyone yet. I would like to know if anyone could just by the picture give me some info. All i know is that it's a 97. Id like to know what trim, and if it's a hatch or a coupe. And what i can expect on the interior. Thanks and i look forward to meeting new people!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG950646.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	84633  
Old 01-30-2013
Registered!!

Re: New guy here!!

No one can answer. 87 views and not one person has been able to help?? This makes me rethink even getting a civic if the forums aren't very active...
Old 01-30-2013
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

This is probably the best forum board I've ever been on period.

....and as long as you are cool/nice and not a jerk people will always help you here if they can.

I looked at that pic last night and frankly it's a terrible pic.

It looks like it could even be an Accord and not a Civic.

There's so much aftermarket body kit garbage on it it's hard to tell exactly what it is but here is my best guess.

It has a trunk and it's a 2 door so it's a coupe.

It has a spoiler and if the spoiler actually came with the car then it's an SI.

Again hard to say if the spoiler is original from that pic and from the amount of aftermarket crap that already on the car.

hope this helps

Factory engine should either be a D16Y7 or D16Y8 depending on trim. Engines get swapped in these cars all the time the only way to know what it is is to check the stamp

http://asia.vtec.net/topics/enginecode.html

EDIT: You're not new either joined Mar 2011 - been here almost longer then me?

Last edited by Stock 99; 01-30-2013 at 01:43 PM.
Old 01-30-2013
Registered!!

Ha thank you so much for the answer man. I actually am new. I was unaware i even made an account on this site. So technically i'm still new. Lol. And i'm definitely new to civics in general.

Thanks again for the answer. I'm going to try and set up a time to look at the car because the guy said he just bought it this summer from a guy who had it sitting in a garage for a few years waiting to save up more money to put into it. It's pretty clean. But i'm pretty sure it's got an engine swap in it so i'll have to check it out. I'll let you know whats up with it when i get more details.
Old 01-30-2013

Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

yeah, sorry. I'm still a bit edgy being a freshly non smoker.

Honestly the rest of that car had better have something pretty special to offer because the body kit is...

...or a smokin good deal $$$ wise.

good luck!
Old 01-30-2013
Registered!!

Well i'm real tight on cash right now... And my vehicle right now is a 1995 toyota pickup. And he wants to trade. The ad says it's got an aftermarket exhause, intake. Frame in good shape. I think it'll be a good trade because it's definitely an upgrade from my vehicle. lol
Old 01-30-2013

Toyota 4x4? 22RE? or V6? 5 speed? would be worth a lot more than that car.

All this aftermarket crap probably just means the living hell has been driven out of that car.

Intake/header/exhaust = noise not power.

Civics don't have 'frames' they have sub frames/unibody one accident = write off usually (salvage title)<-check

Here's a couple tips for you..... headgasket common on Civics.

Check the coolant reservoir.... drive it .... check it again. If it's full/overflowing then the car needs a headgasket. If you can take an OBD II scantool with you and plug it in. Common for ********* to burn out the CEL bulbs in the dash. Turn the ignition on make sure the CEL comes on for a second or 2. If it was my choice I'd take the Toyota over the Civic.

again...

good luck

EDIT - I'd make you a real offer on your truck if you lived anywhere near me. no joke.

EDIT2 - I'm just on my way into town right now. Should I take out some Truck money??

EDIT3 - PA? Like Prince Albert, Sask? or in the US?

EDIT4 - geez try and buy a guy's truck and he's got nothing to say. lol

Last edited by Stock 99; 01-30-2013 at 02:40 PM.
Old 01-30-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kingkiwi44
Hey everyone, looking to purchase a civic soon, and i'm researching now. Ive found a nice one but haven't been able to contact anyone yet. I would like to know if anyone could just by the picture give me some info. All i know is that it's a 97. Id like to know what trim, and if it's a hatch or a coupe. And what i can expect on the interior. Thanks and i look forward to meeting new people!
Enter the VIN in one of the many parts catalogs online, see if it will tell you what the car is.
If you have a USA car, I can check the VIN.

The crappy pic looks like a punk ricer wannabee trashed SB model. Coupe.
SB=Sh!tBox.

Originally Posted by Stock 99

yeah, sorry. I'm still a bit edgy being a freshly non smoker.

Non Smoker Since Jan 1 2013
D0od! Were you reading my posts when I quit, middle of Feb 2012? And for the next 9 months, I couldn't stop bitching....I could type out a scathing reply, KNOW it was horrible, walk away for a couple hours to reconsider hitting the SUBMIT button......and STILL send it anyway knowing full well it was horrible!

And it wasn't just this forum either.

Asking mods to make the SUBMIT button a moving target? Several times!

It's been 11 months now......I'm not so edgy now....but....
Most of the time when dealing with actual live peop...idiots, I have no filter and don't give a F.
Even now, I still run my mouth like I want my *** beat.
Old 01-30-2013

LOL, this guy is going to have the most epic 'introduce yourself' thread ever!

Ezone I don't think I've ever seen you reply to an introduce yourself thread. Thank you for backing me up on my SB opinion of this car. I never even thought about a VIN lookup since just 'looking' kinda tells the story and to give up a perfectly good '95 Toyota 4x4 for it no less.

Hell, I would give you my minty '99 Civic for that Truck no problems. I can find another good Civic for cheap no problems however I've been looking for a '95ish Toyota Pickup for well over a year now. Like trying to catch a friggin' unicorn where I live.

Originally Posted by ezone
D0od! Were you reading my posts when I quit, middle of Feb 2012? And for the next 9 months, I couldn't stop bitching....I could type out a scathing reply, KNOW it was horrible, walk away for a couple hours to reconsider hitting the SUBMIT button......and STILL send it anyway knowing full well it was horrible!

It's been 11 months now......I'm not so edgy now....but....

Even now, I still run my mouth like I want my *** beat.
I think about that period of time with you quite a bit. Before you mentioned the whole smoking thing I just thought you were a complete dick. To the point I just about negative repped you a few times (and that was pretty much before you had any rep at all). The only thing that stopped me was you obviously knew what you were talking about. There's a thread I remember where somebody asked what to do with a car that had been sitting to get it running well again. Your answer was mind blowing. So you were an incredible asset even if you were a jerk and I just failed to comment in your threads for a long time. I finally read your response about quiting smoking in that off topic thread with the guy asking about why certain people were dicks around here and you told your quiting smoking story. Ever since then I have been 100% fine with you. I've quit twice for over 2 years I know what I'm in for and I totally understood where you were at as well. I think it's good to point that out in my sig for awhile so perhaps people can cut me a little slack around here from time to time.

'edgy' is a word I've used a lot this month as well. You can even diagnose smoking. LOL

...and effing good for you to stay quit. It's so worth it even after a couple weeks that's clear.

....the only people that ever get to run their mouth like 'they want to get beat' are the ones that are at the very top 1% of their trade, just like myself as well.

You however go far beyond me in the sense that you'll come here after a day of work and are just an incredible help to people who really need it. I would never do that in my profession and my hat is really off to you for that.

Thank you.
Old 01-30-2013
Registered!!

Thumbs up Re: New guy here!!

Its the 22RE 4cyl 5spd. PA as in pennsylvania. Lol sorry i wasn't at my computer all day. I'd love to sell it to you 99. Believe me. Haha I'll be sure to check out everything you told me. If i even go look at it. It's just an option.

Ive been all over classifieds online for the whole state of pa and most of southwestern ny and it's tough to find anyone wanting to pay more that 2000 for my truck. I mean it's old but not beat. No one will even come look at it, they just say they won't go higher than 2000.

Then this guy came along and offered the trade. My dads a mechanic and he's gonna come with so he won't let me get anything thats been beat. I'm so thankful for all the information. You guys are awesome and i'll let you know what happens.

Last edited by kingkiwi44; 01-30-2013 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Correction...
Old 01-30-2013

that's so hard to read.

If you were within even a days drive from me (in Canada) you would already be counting your $2000. I don't even care what it looks like. The vehicle I came from to my Civic was a '88 Toyota 4x4 22RE 5speed which still sits in my yard because I can't bear to part with it. I owned that truck for 15 years and it never had an easy day in it's life and it never complained once.

Around here if you are lucky enough to find a mid 90's Toyota beat to **** with high mileage $4000 - good shape $8000
Old 01-30-2013
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Could do without the snow...

Looks like a 90's EJ coupe to me. (At least 96+ with that front end)
With some aftermarket front and rear bumper, and skirts.

Read the VIN.
VIN #4, 5, and 6 will tell you the chassis code.

VIN #10 will tell you the year
1988(J), 1989(K), 1990(L), 1991(M), 1992(N), 1993(P), 1994(R), 1995(S), 1996(T),
1997(V), 1998(W), 1999(X), 2000(Y)
Old 01-30-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stock 99
Ezone I don't think I've ever seen you reply to an introduce yourself thread. Thank you for backing me up on my SB opinion of this car. I never even thought about a VIN lookup since just 'looking' kinda tells the story and to give up a perfectly good '95 Toyota 4x4 for it no less.
I've waved before at new people, but yeah, I generally ignore intro posts. This one had a car involved.

I'll try to refrain from now on though.

I think about that period of time with you quite a bit. Before you mentioned the whole smoking thing I just thought you were a complete dick. To the point I just about negative repped you a few times (and that was pretty much before you had any rep at all).
I'm sure I deserved it at times. I know I can be that way.

The only reason I have been with the same GF for over 7 years is we don't live together. I can make her hate me with just instant messages....just as fast as if she was in front of me.

I am absolutely not a people person. I freekin' HATE most people in real life. I like cars. They don't talk back, there is always a correct answer, there aren't impossible variables in their thinking that defy logic.

I'm quite comfortable hiding in the house for days at a time without real human contact. I probably would do just that if it wasn't for that whole "work" thing.
The only thing that stopped me was you obviously knew what you were talking about. There's a thread I remember where somebody asked what to do with a car that had been sitting to get it running well again. Your answer was mind blowing. So you were an incredible asset even if you were a jerk and I just failed to comment in your threads for a long time. I finally read your response about quiting smoking in that off topic thread with the guy asking about why certain people were dicks around here and you told your quiting smoking story. Ever since then I have been 100% fine with you
LOL thanks.

One former co-worker says I have always had a way of making people feel stupid. Sometimes I can actually see as I do it, other times I can't.
Again, I'm not a people person.

I have a patch on my vest that says "F*CK YOU, I HAVE ENOUGH FRIENDS"

. I've quit twice for over 2 years I know what I'm in for and I totally understood where you were at as well. I think it's good to point that out in my sig for awhile so perhaps people can cut me a little slack around here from time to time.

'edgy' is a word I've used a lot this month as well.

You can even diagnose smoking. LOL
Only by the smell.
I CAN SMELL THINGS NOW!!!!!!!!!1!!1!

And secondhand smoke isn't offensive to me yet.
...and effing good for you to stay quit. It's so worth it even after a couple weeks that's clear.
I gained another 20+ pounds since I quit. I need velcro shoes now.
Habit was about 30 years, never successfully quit before. I had no farking clue what I was in for as far as the side effects of quitting.
These helped a little (A LOT):

http://cracked.tumblr.com/post/34863...the-only-thing

http://www.cracked.com/funny-1640-smoking-cigarettes/

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-life-l...tting-smoking/

http://www.cracked.com/article_19030...pid-world.html

There is so much truth in these, it ain't even funny. I wanted to KILL everything but my cat.

Gained about 50 pounds in the last 10 years. Can't figure that one out. LOL

....the only people that ever get to run their mouth like 'they want to get beat' are the ones that are at the very top 1% of their trade, just like myself as well.
If you only knew.

You however go far beyond me in the sense that you'll come here after a day of work and are just an incredible help to people who really need it. I would never do that in my profession and my hat is really off to you for that.

Thank you.
YW.
I can't get my brain to stop with the cars. I seem to be stuck in a permanent diagnosis mode....but I can only do so much with stories by non-professional observers here.

Cars are my life. Beyond a profession. I can't even have car stuff as a hobby, I actually hate to touch a car when I'm not at work. That's probably why my truck sits so much. That, and I ride the scoot whenever I get the chance. Maybe not far or long, but often. Even if only to go to work, it's still mind clearing.

If this was a cooking forum, I'd be a total n0ob. I can burn water.
If I worked in a lumberyard, I'd be trying to separate 2x4s from 4x2s.
Old 02-02-2013
Registered!!

Got some more info on the car and a few more pictures that I'll upload later!

It's a 97 Civic Coupe
155,xxx on the body
40,xxx on a newer "Jasper" engine (I think thats what the guy called it.)
He said it's just the regular engine.
It looks like it's worth a look.

I also am getting the VIN to check it out.
Old 02-02-2013

Oh yeah... a Jasper.

Did he say something like ...."yo that's JDM baby!"

*sigh*

If you buy that car you'll have to read up in this thread....

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...ml#post4342075

Make sure you ask him when the vtec kicks in.

just j/king btw..... but get used to hearing that if you buy it.

Last edited by Stock 99; 02-03-2013 at 12:44 AM.
Old 02-03-2013
Registered!!

He's an older guy so he hasn't been acting like a ricer. Haha. He just said it's called a jasper.

Is the car seriously that bad looking that i shouldn't get it? Like i think it honestly looks pretty clean. And with 40,xxx on the motor it's a steal.

What do you guys think??
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG958395.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	84647   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG951621.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	84648   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG950826.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	84649  

Last edited by kingkiwi44; 02-03-2013 at 01:41 PM.
Old 02-03-2013

He just said it's called a jasper
Jasper is just a company that specializes in mass engine and transmission rebuilding.

(To me, that indicates a level of care and maintenance that allowed the original engine to blow up. But nobody knows what really happened to the original engine.)

Check it out
http://www.jasperengines.com/index.php
Old 02-03-2013
Registered!!

(To me, that indicates a level of care and maintenance that allowed the original engine to blow up. But nobody knows what really happened to the original engine.)
Yeah i've got no clue. And either does this guy that owns it now. I'm planning on going to check it out this week sometime. Hoping it's a good vehicle.

So if the engine hasn't been blwon up and they just swapped it, do we think it's a good vehicle to go with?
Old 02-03-2013

So if the engine hasn't been blwon up and they just swapped it
Don't fool yourself. This didn't happen.

This is what PROBABLY happened:
a level of care and maintenance that allowed the original engine to blow up.

But nobody knows what really happened to the original engine.
My assumption is a safe one, I just can't prove it.
Old 02-03-2013

Have a competent, observant, trusted, and PAID mechanic inspect the car before you make a decision on the purchase.

If you know nothing about cars, this could be the best $100 you ever spent.
Old 02-03-2013
Registered!!

Have a competent, observant, trusted, and PAID mechanic inspect the car before you make a decision on the purchase.

If you know nothing about cars, this could be the best $100 you ever spent.
That's where my dad comes in to play. Been a dealership mechanic his whole life. He wouldn't let me get something that's been beat.
Old 02-04-2013

Originally Posted by kingkiwi44
He's an older guy so he hasn't been acting like a ricer. Haha. He just said it's called a jasper.

Is the car seriously that bad looking that i shouldn't get it? Like i think it honestly looks pretty clean. And with 40,xxx on the motor it's a steal.

What do you guys think??

You know, those are still really bad pictures. It should be straight on front,back,side,side but whatever. It's not rice in the sense that the body kit is actually paint matched to the car. I just....um...any sort of bodykit to me is ricy...just me I don't like them.

If it's a DX (base model) factory engine was D16y7 and the EX,LX,Si were D16y8 vtec SOHC. Pretty much identical looking engines. Speaking of which I see nobody really seemed to care about keeping the engine bay clean even when they had the engine out by the looks of things. It's not a great endorsement for a swapped out engine to be dirty as **** but that purely my personal opinion. When I bought my car the engine bay was dirty and it was very nearly a deal breaker for me.

The PROs - it's a 6th gen which is regarded as some of the best Civic ever made. Mine gets crazy good mileage and never seems to have any issues even at 14 years and 100+ miles. A lot of people that own 6th gen love them and won't part with them.

I like the rims on the car and it has a double wishbone suspension which was unique to this gen Civic.

Hope it all works out for you..

Last edited by Stock 99; 02-04-2013 at 01:51 AM.
Old 02-04-2013
Whachya lookin at?

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Run... Run fast.. and don't turn back.

Some insight on the car:

1. It's been abused, I can tell even with the lousy pictures.
2. Body kit
3. Engine swap / replacement usually dictates something went seriously wrong.
4. Body kit
5. Those fenders are horrid.
6. It's been abused to no end....
7. I know I'm repeating myself lol

Honestly. Your best bet is to find a fully stock civic roughly the same age and buy that. It will have been maintained better and you don't have to worry about someones shoddy work when you drive around. My general rule of thumb is never buy a modified car unless it looks like it's been cared for meticulously. Which consists of clean engine bay (spotless). There is a big difference between someones project car and a rice bucket.
Old 02-04-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by BlueEM2
Run... Run fast.. and don't turn back.

Some insight on the car:

1. It's been abused, I can tell even with the lousy pictures.
7. I know I'm repeating myself lol

Honestly. Your best bet is to find a fully stock civic roughly the same age and buy that. There is a big difference between someones project car and a rice bucket.

I don't think this things a rice bucket at all... And How exactly can you tell it's been abused from 4 pictures? I understand the engine bay is dirty and it was swapped, but it still looks like a pretty damn clean car to me.

And stock thanks for your answer as well. I'll be sure to let you guys know whats going on.
Old 02-04-2013

I know when I do any engine swap (or most work for that matter) NOBODY IS PAYING ME TO CLEAN.
Do you want to pay me $2/minute just to clean stuff?
I didn't think so.

My time is money. Same goes for most mechanics/shops that work on commission.
Old 02-04-2013
Registered!!

Yeah if I do end up getting this, one of the first things i do is gonna be clean that engine up as best I can without ripping too much apart.
Old 02-04-2013
Whachya lookin at?

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

I can tell it's been abused because of the work that's been done to it and because it's dirty... most modded cars are abused.
Old 02-04-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by BlueEM2
I can tell it's been abused because of the work that's been done to it and because it's dirty... most modded cars are abused.
My 95 toyota's engine bay looks dirtier than that. And that truck has NEVER been abused. Things are gonna get dirty, and just because they aren't shiny and show-car quality doesn't mean they are abused. And this car is hardly modded in my opinion, a body kit, cai, and exhaust doesn't really justify heavily modded.

But thats just my opinion.