Introduce Yourself! New member to the site? Stop in here and introduce yourself and make some friends. Strangers = danger!!

American Muscle: Considering Converting to the H

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OldV8Guy is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking American Muscle: Considering Converting to the H

Hey, people.

I'm a partially grey-haired soon-to-be college graduate. I'm about to start a new job. Gonna have a real income. I've owned nothing but American V-8s all my life. Currently, I drive a 1996 Chevrolet Impala SS.

I love the Impala, but the thing is almost 13 years old, pushing 170,000 miles on the odometer, and gets 11mpg city (I am a spirited driver... it could probably get 13 with a tailwind).

In my quest to buy something new, I wanted something more practical, but for a while I was afriad of sacrificing performance for good fuel economy and emissions. Until I read about the 2006 and newer Civic Si. The numbers given in Honda's Spec sheets impressed me. Then I test drove one (coupe, with about 500 pounds of people in it) and was impressed even more. Then I was not surprised when I found out one of these can reach 60mph faster than my old gangster-mobile.

So if I bought one of these, I know I won't have to sacrifice performance, it's probalby near impossible to get 11mpg unless I drive in 1st gear everywhere, and based on people I know who have owned Hondas for decads and hundreds of thousands of miles, I know it should be a pretty reliable vehicle. I hope, through these forums, I can find out what people like and don't like about these newst generation Civic Si's so I can make a more educated decision as to if I should buy one!

Thanks!

Nic
Old 03-05-2009
Registered!!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond repute
Re: American Muscle: Considering Converting to the H

Welcome to the site. I can't say much about the 8th gen SI because I don't have one but I can say your making a good choice in that you'll get the reliability and gas mileage you are looking for. As with any car don't get the first year of the generation (don't get an 06 SI).
Old 03-06-2009
Registered!!

jae510 is an unknown quantity at this point

get an, 09 SI i have one it's my first time having a honda. just test drive one and see what it feels like. if you're looking for performance then this is the car that you want. here are some of my SI's pix.

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...lbumId=3414107
Old 03-06-2009
Registered!!

OldV8Guy is an unknown quantity at this point

I guess my novel was a bit long-winded.

I already test drove one and love it. The only thing I don't like about driving it is the fact that I was always afraid I was going to shift to reverse instead of 6th while crusing down the highway.

I'd never driven a 6-speed before, so I'm not really used to having that problem. Most of the other 6 speeds I've seen from recent years had some other contraption to prevent accidental reverse shifts.
Old 03-06-2009
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond repute

I'm pretty sure the SI has a reverse lockout. You shouldn't be able to shift into reverse while going forward.
Old 03-06-2009
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

hopefully they fixed those 3rd gear issues in the 09 model. i would head to 8thcivic.com and look around there for more info.
Old 03-06-2009
Registered!!

just wanna piggy back on what lordhelmet said, they do have a reverse lockout. and for the third gear issue, i haven't had one so far, more so i don't know what the third gear issue is hehehe
Old 03-06-2009
Registered!!

i went to 8thcivic.com and read some of the 09 SI owners posts and a lot of them said it's fixed some of them said third gear is grinding or popping out. i haven't had any problems with my third gear, but my car if still new. i'll post again about the third gear issue if i experience anything. i'm going to vegas next weekend, that's going to be my first long drive, let's see if something happens...