Lighting Use this for all your lighting questions

Bizarre Flasher Problem 02 Civic EX

Old 02-06-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TechnoTrevor is an unknown quantity at this point
Bizarre Flasher Problem 02 Civic EX

Hey all,

So I finally thought I would join, because after so many threads I've seen, on here and other forums, I could never discover the answer to the bizarre flasher issue I'm having on my turn signals. All wiring is correct, bulbs work, fuses replaced, etc.

Long story short, my turn signals work just fine during the day. However, when I flip my lights on at night, obviously my turn signals stay illuminated. But, when I try to use either the left or right turn signal, it won't flash. It shows its flashing like usual in my car, just not the front turn signals. They just remain illuminated.

And that's where I've never found a single forum or an answer on every Google search you could imagine. Thus, why I'm here.

Back tail lights work just fine as well.

I ended up buying an LED flasher relay. But idk if that'll fix my problem.

It doesn't. Make. Sense.
Old 02-06-2016
Registered!!

re: Bizarre Flasher Problem 02 Civic EX

I ended up buying an LED flasher relay. But idk if that'll fix my problem.
Fixed the rapid flashing, but still encounter flashers not working when lights are on at night.
Old 02-06-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Wrong bulbs in front sockets, should be dual filament but single is installed?
Old 02-06-2016
Registered!!

Previous owner converted turn signals into 1157 bulb type using pigtails. When LED 1157 bulbs are used, the constant 12v that creates the illuminated parking light is dimmer, and when turn signal is activated, it flashes brighter to create signal effect.

I've owned the vehicle for 3 years and used LED 1157 for 2 of those years, instead of dual filament 1157 bulbs.
Never had a problem.
Until now.
Old 02-06-2016

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

How about grounds for the sockets? Missing ground or stray voltage on the grounds due to poor or lost connection at the ground eyelet anchor bolt?

Are both left and right sides affected by the problem the same way?
Does the issue go away if you remove the front turn/park bulbs? Rears?

If there's LEDs installed, I might be inclined to put it all back to stock before going much further.
Old 02-06-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
How about grounds for the sockets? Missing ground or stray voltage on the grounds due to poor or lost connection at the ground eyelet anchor bolt?
If it were a poor ground connection, the signals would have poor output in every aspect. The only variable affected is the flashing when turn signal is initiated.

I've came to the conclusion that the problem revolves around whenever I turn on my lights on at night. Not only am I led to believe that it's not a poor ground, but I do not believe its any poor wire connection at all. Because it flashes perfectly when night lights are off.

Do you sort of understand what I mean?
I've weighed out every factor and I can immediately dismiss them.

Are both left and right sides affected by the problem the same way?
Does the issue go away if you remove the front turn/park bulbs? Rears?
Both front sides are affected. Have not tried removing one bulb to see if the other would work. Rear tail lights are complete LED. I'm not led to believe the tail lights have anything to do with them. Will update once I try this.
Old 02-06-2016

Do you sort of understand what I mean?
Yes, you mean you haven't done any actual testing.
Old 02-06-2016
Registered!!

What I mean is I've changed both bulbs about three times. Haven't tried leaving one bulb out to see if it would respond. And like aforementioned, I've changed the relay now to no avail.
Old 02-06-2016

Originally Posted by TechnoTrevor
It doesn't. Make. Sense.
I've weighed out every factor and I can immediately dismiss them.

I meant testing with a voltmeter, and a wiring diagram if necessary.

What specific car are you working on? That's relevant info you omitted from your first post.
Old 02-06-2016
Registered!!

I meant testing with a voltmeter, and a wiring diagram if necessary.
This has been done as well. It's difficult to remember all of what I've done because this has been dragging on for almost a year. I've disconnected the pigtails and re-wired as well. Wiring diagram for a 1157 conversion includes 3 wires: 12v constant, intermittent, and ground.

What specific car are you working on? That's relevant info you omitted from your first post.
2002 Civic EX
Old 02-06-2016

Re: Bizarre Flasher Problem 02 Civic EX

It shows its flashing like usual in my car, just not the front turn signals. They just remain illuminated.
Remain illuminated.... on bright (turn signal) or dim (park light)?
Old 02-07-2016
Registered!!

Remain illuminated.... on bright (turn signal) or dim (park light)?
Dim. If it were bright, that would indicate it's in the flash position.
Old 02-07-2016
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

changed both bulbs about three times.
It pretty much has to be in front area..... have you had a set of incandescent's (or even 1 side) back in for testing ??
Old 02-07-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by CraigW
It pretty much has to be in front area..... have you had a set of incandescent's (or even 1 side) back in for testing ??
I'm positive it's the front side because like I mentioned previously..They have worked before, for a long time, even.

And yes, I've tested incandescent bulbs. They make the dual filament 1157 bulbs, just like the ones that come stock with the stock wiring harness for the turn signals on civics.

However, I haven't just tried one side. Sounds silly, but at least it would have me on to something.

I'm just mind blown that, after such prolonged research to see what the problem is..that NO ONE has ever experienced this kind of issue. Haha.
Old 02-15-2016
Registered!!

However, I haven't just tried one side. Sounds silly, but at least it would have me on to something.
Yesterday was warm enough for me to actually work on them. I did try only one bulb in, and still the problem occurs.

I also put in new bulbs. One at a time. Every operation of the turn signals works like usual.. Except when running lights are on and flasher is engaged.

I also rewired both sides to ensure it isn't a "miswire" or "crosswire" which I know it wasn't possible since both work in every other operation.

I'm guessing the only other method is to take it to an independent mechanic. I'm hoping the one I'm going to take it to will know. I've talked to him a lot because he works right next to the AT&T store I work at. He's worked on Hondas for over 40yrs so if he can't figure it out, guess I'm screwed haha. Plus, I figured more members would've posted in this thread. Apparently I'm very wrong.
Old 02-16-2016

I'm guessing the only other method is to take it to an independent mechanic. I'm hoping the one I'm going to take it to will know.
I'd hope he owns a voltmeter....... and actually knows how to use it.
Old 02-16-2016
Registered!!

I'd hope he owns a voltmeter....... and actually knows how to use it.
Since apparently I haven't mentioned utilizing one and probed both the constant and intermittent and show responses on both, means I haven't. So it probably would be a valid statement if I had gotten asked if one has been used or not and I answered no. Fantastic work. Haha smh.
But I also have to remember this is the internet. And this would be expected.

Come to think of it, maybe if I didn't use a voltmeter, I should check the blinker fluid also? Haha

Last edited by TechnoTrevor; 02-16-2016 at 12:26 AM.