Lighting Use this for all your lighting questions

Gauge cluster - stock bulb size?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01civicboi is an unknown quantity at this point
Gauge cluster - stock bulb size?

Looks like the bulb on the far left of my 01' coupe just burned out. What size are these bulbs? I figure I'm not going to bother taking apart the cluster until I get the replacement.
Old 01-23-2011
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Gauge cluster - stock bulb size?

it's a #74 bulb.. I'd replace all 5 at the same time to have even brightness across the cluster, but that's just me.

and taking out the cluster is easy. 2 screws hold on the plastic part surrounding the cluster, 4 screws hold the cluster itself on, and 2 electrical connectors (one green, one blue) are the only other things holding the thing on. You might need to manipulate the up/down adjustment of the steering wheel to get the plastic piece off.

There are more than 5 bulbs that you can remove from the back, but only 5 illuminate the gauge face/needles. They all come out with a 90º twist

Last edited by xRiCeBoYx; 01-23-2011 at 09:55 PM.
Old 01-23-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
it's a #74 bulb.. I'd replace all 5 at the same time to have even brightness across the cluster, but that's just me.
Done that! lol. It's what I get for using salvage yard bulbs but, that's why I get a handful every time I go to the junkyard. $1-2 for a handful of bulbs versus $1-3 each at the parts store or dealer, you do the math. So, if you can, grab some outta the junkyard.

Which brings me to another point:

Just found out this week (when I took one out of an Isuzu Rodeo) that those bulbs are in just about every American and Asian built car in the last 20 years or so.

Look here for approximate size of bulbs: https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...s-diagram.html
Old 03-01-2018
Registered!!

eksine is an unknown quantity at this point

#74 sounds wrong. I believe the 5 bigger bulbs (gas level, rpm, speedometer,etc) are actually 158 size bulbs, according to vatozone anyways. wait, I just figured it out you have to go to the diagram for the car. use hondaautomotiveparts.com or whatever site you want. for my 2001 accord v6 it is under electrical, combination meter(ford) ironic a honda gauge has ford on it. anyways it will tell you the stock part number, just match the specs to vatozone, example the bigger bulbs are "BULB (14V 3.78W) - HONDA (78180-S84-A03)" so the equivalent I think is 158 size​​​​​​​ bulb

and taking out the cluster is easy. 2 screws hold on the plastic part surrounding the cluster, 4 screws hold the cluster itself on, and 2 electrical connectors (one green, one blue) are the only other things holding the thing on. You might need to manipulate the up/down adjustment of the steering wheel to get the plastic piece off.

There are more than 5 bulbs that you can remove from the back, but only 5 illuminate the gauge face/needles. They all come out with a 90º twist

Last edited by eksine; 03-01-2018 at 11:39 PM.
Old 03-01-2018
Registered!!

eksine is an unknown quantity at this point

#74 sounds wrong. I believe the 5 bigger bulbs (gas level, rpm, speedometer,etc) are actually 158 size bulbs, according to vatozone anyways. wait, I just figured it out you have to go to the diagram for the car. use hondaautomotiveparts.com or whatever site you want. for my 2001 accord v6 it is under electrical, combination meter(ford) ironic a honda gauge has ford on it. anyways it will tell you the stock part number, just match the specs to vatozone, example the bigger bulbs are "BULB (14V 3.78W) - HONDA (78180-S84-A03)" so the equivalent I think is 158 size​​​​​​​ bulb

Old 03-02-2018
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Pulled these part numbers from hondaautomotiveparts.com

35505-SA5-003 is used the most on the back of the cluster, looks like this (picture from google images)

Picture is from this web page: https://www.bulbtown.com/PC74_MINIAT...ASE_p/pc74.htm
which came up as the first google result from searching for that part number. That site states that socket uses a #74 bulb

Other socket part number from majestic honda is 78181-S30-003. Also very small bulb, used for warning/indicator lights. Looks like this (also taken from google images):

For these part numbers, the bulbs appear to be the same size. I'd look, but I don't have an 01-03 cluster to tear apart anymore

Searching that part number you listed, it's used in 98-02 Accords only. That bulb shares the same base as a 168/194/921 bulb (most non-festoon type map/dome lights, some parking lights, cargo lighting, license plate illumination lights. 921 is used primarily as reverse lights). For the 2001-2003 civic cluster, those bulb bases are waaaaay too big to fit.