Lighting Use this for all your lighting questions

Just installed new HIDs..

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Just installed new HIDs..

Because I'm bored, and I spent the better part of today installing the TSX retrofit I just bought from electric130.

I patched my old bezels with bondo, painted them EBP (paint courtesy of automotivetouchup.com) with a couple coats of clear, and flipped the angel eyes so the wires are on the bottom.

Also had to trim a little bit of the projector housings to fit with my bezels (instead of using electric's old bezels).

I did a quick aim with a wall @ about 5 feet. After taking a test drive, I saw that they're horribly aimed (lol) with the driver side hella low and hella inside, with the passenger side a bit high and a bit inside as well. Anyways, the beam pattern is 23894712903845190847590182375912834x better than the **** I had going on before I nabbed the retro. I snapped a few pics, so here ya go.

here's some test fire shots. the top is the old H1, bottom is the TSX with D2S bulbs. Don't mind the spoiled little brother's 2008 is250 he got for his 16th birthday
Name:  SDC13370.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  74.6 KB

top is passenger, bottom is driver.. Horribly aimed, as I mentioned.
Name:  SDC13386.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  39.7 KB

head-on shot, about 35 ft away
Name:  SDC13376.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  77.0 KB

camera on a tripod, situated about level with the projectors, sitting in front of the grille

and now a couple artsy shots
Name:  SDC13374.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  48.1 KB

Name:  SDC13381.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  56.6 KB
Old 06-10-2010
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Just installed new HIDs..

looks good, any pics of the actual tyc housings installed? daytime pics i mean. and yeah aim is almost there, just even out the two sides. some inward pointing is okay, its the horizontal level that matters most on the road. from the output shot, driver side is a bit low and pass is a bit high. just do the 2 inch drop at 25 ft rule using left side of cutoff. did you figure out all the wiring so lo beam stays on with hi beam?

Name:  valeoaimdiagramp1.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  53.6 KB
Old 06-10-2010
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

I have a diode installed between the high and low grounds (anode connected to the hi-ground, cathode on the low-ground). I did that back in April. Also using a relay harness I got from DDM

I can go snap some daytime pics today. Also having a hell of a time finding a nice level area with a wall 25' out where I can tinker with the headlights. I may go sit out behind a walmart or something for a little bit and adjust my headlights
Old 06-10-2010
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

yeah back of walmart is usually a good place.
Old 06-11-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Took a while, but got **** aimed nicely. My passenger side hi-beam reflector's adjustment screws weren't playing nice and didn't stay in the clips, so I had to use a bit of force with a 12" socket extension to keep the adjusting screws in the clips to help get it aligned. Passenger side high beam is still aimed about 4" to the outside, but whatever.. Not like that adjustment really matters too much. lol

Now, for the pictures.

woot! aimed!
Name:  SDC13394.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  57.2 KB

The retro installed from the back. Had to chop 1" from the hood pin studs to clear the D2S plug.. Good thing they're aircraft aluminum and won't rust
Name:  SDC13399.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  57.5 KB

Retro from the front (sorry Gearbox, didn't get any day shots)
Name:  SDC13419.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  38.6 KB

Switchback! (damn those bulbs are expensive..)
Name:  SDC13424.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  41.3 KB

Output from the bumper
Name:  SDC13406.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  71.0 KB

Output from the sunroof
Name:  SDC13412.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  76.3 KB

Shiny from the front (about 50' out)
Name:  SDC13411.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  62.4 KB

"Over the Shoulder" View. Yes, I know my CEL is on. My cat's dying so my car is mourning its impending death..
Name:  SDC13425.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  51.0 KB

And, I had to take an artsy shot with the strip WAAAAAYYY the hell in the background.. You can see the Stratosphere and kinda see the Luxor's light emitting from behind the top passenger side corner of my windshield
Name:  SDC13415.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  57.5 KB

Last edited by xRiCeBoYx; 06-14-2010 at 02:40 PM.
Old 06-11-2010
Premium Member

looks good, much better with the aiming lol
Old 06-14-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute

looks great! glad they worked out for you. now i just need someone to buy the bulbs, ballasts and HID fogs! don't remember if i told you, but the highs are 100w H1's. so unless you have a relay on them like i did, you'll want to put some 55w back in there. i never really used the highs though.
Old 06-14-2010
Administrator
Administrator

I used the 55W METC golden styles I had in my old headlights. But yea man, thanks again. The light output is hella times better than the old PnP setup I had (as evidenced by the first pic )

Here's my old H1 kit, for comparison's sake
Name:  SDC13101.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  62.2 KB
Old 06-14-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute

ahh...... the TYC "W"
Old 06-14-2010
Administrator
Administrator

oh, and I got bored last night and took her out for a scenic drive and snapped some photos. Nice little artsy shot with Red Rock Canyon in the background, gives a nice little kinda closeup of the passenger side headlight.
Name:  SDC13441.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  72.8 KB
Old 06-14-2010
Remebers the old days

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of light

You know I love your car and the civic in general........but......Man I would beat up my little brother and steal his car. Wow. Happy 16. heres a bad *** car.......I wish.
Old 06-14-2010
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CrewChief
You know I love your car and the civic in general........but......Man I would beat up my little brother and steal his car. Wow. Happy 16. heres a bad *** car.......I wish.
Let him keep his crappy toyota.

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
oh, and I got bored last night and took her out for a scenic drive and snapped some photos. Nice little artsy shot with Red Rock Canyon in the background, gives a nice little kinda closeup of the passenger side headlight.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y25...r/SDC13441.jpg
Neat-o. I go shooting just north of Red Rock. I like it out there. Retro looks good. I wish I could have scooped up electric's retro. No monies though.
Old 06-14-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Originally Posted by CrewChief
Tell me about it. My first car was what everyone's first car is supposed to be -- a beater. It was a '92 Toyota Paseo that short shifted second gear. I fuggin' loved that car. He's the spoiled baby of the family, so when he said his friend is getting this car and so-and-so is getting this car, my parents were more than happy to put a down payment on that Lexus that was more than my car was, and then some. I think we got my car for $16,2 out the door with free oil changes for 2 years, they dropped $20k on this car for the down payment.. It's ok though. His car is a heat death trap in the summer thanks to his leather seats. My Sparco's are a lot more comfy than his ****.

Originally Posted by lordhelmet
Neat-o. I go shooting just north of Red Rock. I like it out there. Retro looks good. I wish I could have scooped up electric's retro. No monies though.
I like taking random highways away from suburbia and away from the strip to find some amazing desert scenery. I think I may pay the $5 to drive around Red Rock and take some badass pics. I wanna step my photo taking game up and grab a DSLR.. For now, my Samsung TL320 does the trick. I was eyeing his retro when he had it all as a complete kit for $600-something, but once he parted it out, I stepped up and grabbed the headlight assemblies and modded TSX projectors for $225. I got some D2S bulbs/adapters from DDM for cheap and used my existing ballasts. Worked out perfectly.
Old 07-09-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
White02CivicSi has a spectacular aura aboutWhite02CivicSi has a spectacular aura about

Damn bro! It looks good! Keep up the good work.

What bulb color are your lights? Is it 6000K? I like how yours looks.

Last edited by White02CivicSi; 07-09-2010 at 03:57 AM.
Old 01-18-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
emeka_civic_EX is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gearbox
looks good, any pics of the actual tyc housings installed? daytime pics i mean. and yeah aim is almost there, just even out the two sides. some inward pointing is okay, its the horizontal level that matters most on the road. from the output shot, driver side is a bit low and pass is a bit high. just do the 2 inch drop at 25 ft rule using left side of cutoff. did you figure out all the wiring so lo beam stays on with hi beam?

Hi Gearbox...I'm a newbie and want this cool stuff on my civic. Please I need the following
1. Where to shop for the HID kit you recommend(Pleae recommend the bulb type, shrouds and wire haness). I would go with 35w Balast wont want anything frying all the time
2. How to video for installation in a Civic 2002 Ex
3. What modification do I need to do as we all know how tight is can get in the Civic 02 engine bay

Hope to get a reply or Direct Message soon. Thanks