Lighting Use this for all your lighting questions

HID Kits review

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007
Administrator
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: HID Kits review

Originally Posted by LiKEaFeRiO
Review: OMG I miss these and kind of regret selling them.
IMO, there's no point of getting HID's if you aren't going to retrofit them into their proper housing, whether it be HID reflectors from an IS300 or HID projectors from a TSX.
Halogen reflectors + HID = Crap compared to true HID setups.
heh heh heh. love my TSX in TYC
Old 06-17-2007
I wil fix vBPlaza today

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to all

Originally Posted by chawski
There is a lot more design that goes into a headlight housing than you may imagine. its a lot more than "hey, stick this light infront of this mirror and look at all the pretty light". if you feel that you are doing it safely, by all means, its your car. just realize that it is illegal.
alright if it is illegal, then what did u end up doing with your headlights, they seem pretty nice.

Originally Posted by D5cIvIc
yes i'll takes of the output tomorrow night with my shields. I however never, so far, have gotten flashed by on coming drivers. My headlights are aimed fine in my opinion. The casper shields do their job quite well, of course there is a little bit of glare, but its very minimal. I'll take pics of how my headlights look, the entire bottom half of my reflector housing is cut off from the shields.
alright, i were gonna go this route, i would try to do it right like u said u did. I had a question about the casper shields... what exactly do they look like/do/install at i'm just looking for general knowledge because i havent the foggiest bit of info on shielding. help me out please
Old 06-17-2007
Administrator
Administrator

electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute

actually, all HID kits are illegal. i posted a thread a little while back about the legal reasonings why. it has to do with the fact that halogen housings were designed for halogen bulbs. even if the focal point of an HID is the same as the halogen, the light source has different shapes, so it's not the same. therefore, an HID kit will never meet DOT specs to be used in a halogen housing. "H4" HID's are not "H4" bulbs because the "H" stands for halogen. technically, retro's are illegal too as you're modifying it's original design (designed for halogens) and putting a foreign object in the housing. retros are less likely to get you pulled over though as there's no glare if done properly. i passed the North Carolina annual safety inspection with my retro. i know guys that have to take their HID's kits out to go get their inspection done each year cause they inspection stations won't pass them with illegal HID kits.
Old 06-18-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EJOman is on a distinguished road

Why has noone put up picks? I mean if your PNP is aimed so well and everything, why not take a few picks of your work. A picture says a thousand words ya know. plus looking at a vic with HID's is, dare a I say, damn pretty
Old 06-18-2007
Registered!!

sentbacktothesu is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chawski
yes, but the reflector is designed for use with a D2R bulb. Anyone who has taken freshman physics knows about a focal point. these headlights are designed for the focal point of the hid capsule. The ones on your civic are designed for the focal point of a h4 bulb. Also, as of recently, no oe will have a reflected hid. all will be projected.
There is a lot more design that goes into a headlight housing than you may imagine. its a lot more than "hey, stick this light infront of this mirror and look at all the pretty light". if you feel that you are doing it safely, by all means, its your car. just realize that it is illegal.

what about the Prius HID's thats a reflector that also has a regular H4 bulb in other trims. id love to know how they do it. the prius's arent blinding at all and i love how they have high and low beam on HID's its actually pretty cool.
Old 06-18-2007
Administrator
Administrator

Originally Posted by sentbacktothesu
what about the Prius HID's thats a reflector that also has a regular H4 bulb in other trims. id love to know how they do it. the prius's arent blinding at all and i love how they have high and low beam on HID's its actually pretty cool.
they are 2 completely different housings.....that's how. same thing with the older RX300's, ES300's, newer IS250/350's (those are projectors even). from the outside, they look the same. get closer and you'll see the reflector design is different. look under the hood and you'll see the back of the housing is very different. the IS250/350 and the Audi A4's are perfect example of the halogen/HID differences with projectors. if you open up the housings of those, you'll find completely different projectors. you can find pics of the Audi's over at HID planet. the Halogen's use an H7 projector and the HID's use a D2S projector. put them side by side and the reflector bowls are completely different. so just because a car is available with halogen and HID doesn't mean their headlight housings are the same, because they never will be. they won't get DOT approved if they are.
Old 06-18-2007
Registered!!

dopeyboy247 will become famous soon enough

I have already posted on this thread. I have a PnP Hid Kit.

Plug n Play Kits in halogen housings is basically like driving around with really bright bulbs. Etc..... I already gave my opinion on the previous posts.

Where I'm from Inspections or Laws are not that harsh, I guess it also depends on where you live. I see cars with Plug-n-Play Kits all over the place. If anything you can have spare Halogen bulbs in your car. It's easy to Install & un-install PnP Kits.

I have also seen glare with Silverstar bulbs, regular Halogen bulbs, blue ricer bulbs... etc.. PnP Kits are just Brighter & Whiter.

PnP Kits are also a good investment. Because they're Interchangeable, you can Buy the Kit; use it; and just Re-sell it.
I have a 9006 5000K PnP kit (with Lifetime Warranty) if I ever get bored or I'm selling my car I could give the Kit to my sister she owns a 2007 Accord. .......Which is also 9006 bulb-type for Low beams....

If you want to experience Real & Legal HID's then buy a car that came with HID's from the Factory. Like BMW, Mercedes Benz, etc..... Even Better then a Retro done right
Old 06-18-2007
Administrator
Administrator

Originally Posted by dopeyboy247
I have also seen glare with Silverstar bulbs, regular Halogen bulbs, blue ricer bulbs... etc.. PnP Kits are just Brighter & Whiter.
and thus, more glare, more blinding and dangerous to oncoming drivers.
Old 06-19-2007
I wil fix vBPlaza today

LT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to all

Originally Posted by electric130
and thus, more glare, more blinding and dangerous to oncoming drivers.
see thats what i was thinking, but D5 was talking about with proper shielding and aiming they are ok... thats why i wanna see his
Old 06-19-2007
Administrator
Administrator

Originally Posted by LT2004ever
see thats what i was thinking, but D5 was talking about with proper shielding and aiming they are ok... thats why i wanna see his
yeah, you can probably get it pretty good. problem is that most people don't put the effort into doing just that. our cars put off a decent amount of glare with stock aiming and stock halogens. that's part of the reason you can see road signs so good at night. now hop into a car with HID projectors (like mine) and you'll see what a true cutoff is. there's times that I don't like it so much like when you're transitioning to go up a hill. the cutoff seems really close to the car and it feels like you can't see very far. surprizingly, newer honda accords have a very, very sharp cutoff with halogen reflectors and driving them was about the same anoying cutoff as my HID's, but not nearly as bright. at one point, i was going to scrap my HID retro and go back stock. but after driving other, newer cars that have good cutoffs with halogens, i realized that my car is done right. the difference between light and dark is just a lot more since the HID's are so bright. when driving done the road normally, i love them to no end.
Old 06-25-2007
I wil fix vBPlaza today

yea i just bought my TYC's today so i plan on retrofitting them in the near future. I just love projectors, and i guess i dont wanna deal with the hassle of shielding the OEM's right now if i were to go HID
Old 06-25-2007
Administrator
Administrator

Originally Posted by LT2004ever
yea i just bought my TYC's today so i plan on retrofitting them in the near future. I just love projectors, and i guess i dont wanna deal with the hassle of shielding the OEM's right now if i were to go HID
valeo's will fit the easiest. D2S will be the best fit, but you could make D1S work too.
Old 06-26-2007
Registered!!

EastBayStuntN is an unknown quantity at this point

mculloch h4 low beam plug-n-play kit in OEM housings. with built in glare shield.
output: lighting was much better in the straighaway, but lost some width becuase of this kit. however, its still bareable for night driving, just not as good for mountain driving when u need wide lighting.
quality: been about a year now and no issues at all.
price: picked it up from a local for 200usd, new.
Cons: still has glare (expected), not as bad as other kits ive seen on the road though. wish it were d2r bulbs to help prevent glare more.
Temp: 6000k

as a result, ill never buy an pnp kit for reflector housings unless im retro fitting them.
Old 06-27-2007
Registered!!

dlprince is an unknown quantity at this point

hey guys, im new to this fourm and have some questions about projector headlights and HIDs.

I have a 2003 EX Coupe, i just got projector headlights from autodynamic (http://www.autodynamic.com/detail.as...D=HC01PHCC-G2). I got them in the mail and the bulbs are H3. I am now looking for an H3 HID kit. Any recommendations on where to buy or which one to get? There was a kit on http://xenoneyes.com/index.php?page=hidkits , they are $155 shipped.

Any help or comments will be helpful.

Thanks

Last edited by dlprince; 06-27-2007 at 06:30 PM.
Old 06-27-2007
I wil fix vBPlaza today

we have vendors...
Old 06-27-2007
Administrator
Administrator

Originally Posted by dlprince
hey guys, im new to this fourm and have some questions about projector headlights and HIDs.

I have a 2003 EX Coupe, i just got projector headlights from autodynamic (http://www.autodynamic.com/detail.as...D=HC01PHCC-G2). I got them in the mail and the bulbs are H3. I am now looking for an H3 HID kit. Any recommendations on where to buy or which one to get? There was a kit on http://xenoneyes.com/index.php?page=hidkits , they are $155 shipped.

Any help or comments will be helpful.

Thanks
okay, for starters, welcome to the forums.

second, your post is considered a "highjack" where your question has nothing to do with the OP's (original poster) question and purpose for the thread. in that case, you need to first search to see what has already been covered in the forums here. if, after searching, you don't find your answer, then you post a new thread of your own. you'll get more replies with your own thread than posting a question buried in someone else's thread.

third, as LT said, we have vendors here. DONG is selling his kits for $125 shipped with a harness. DO NOT RUN HID'S WITHOUT A HARNESS!!!!! your stock wires are not designed for the high amps the ballasts draw during startup.

fourth, your first link doesn't work. but as stated, this is a highjack, so don't fix it here.
Old 06-28-2007
Registered!!

jwai is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Re: HID Kits review

ok i am a noob and dont know a tyc projectors etc are.. but i know the basics .. i am just wondering wat would b the result if i buy this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...9108&rd=1&rd=1 and just put an ebay HID kit on worth around $200? would it b awesome or would it have alot of glare like some have said on this thread. what are your recommendations, i know that paying more would get more better quality but i only have a limited budget. i am not an entire fan of retrofit, as i do not want to spend more on the projectors... I AM VERY CLOSE to buying these projectors! very excited.. but should i put hid or halogen in ? if i put halogen bulb in, i will definately choose the phillips range, diamond vision or crystal vision.. all suggestions will be considered. also i own a 05civic sedan sitting on 18's not lowered.. hehe i have kept pics away from this forum until i feel its ready.
Old 06-28-2007
I wil fix vBPlaza today

halogen, unless u want crappy output... like the thread sez, pretty much all projector headlights that are on ebay for our cars are are halogen projectors, and meand for halogen bulbs. If u put a hid bulb in there the output will be less than the halogen. So like everyone sez, retrofit. I just bought my TYC's and imma put some halogen silverstars in there untill i can save up for some valeo's.
Old 06-28-2007
Administrator
Administrator

Originally Posted by jwai
ok i am a noob and dont know a tyc projectors etc are.. but i know the basics .. i am just wondering wat would b the result if i buy this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...9108&rd=1&rd=1 and just put an ebay HID kit on worth around $200? would it b awesome or would it have alot of glare like some have said on this thread. what are your recommendations, i know that paying more would get more better quality but i only have a limited budget. i am not an entire fan of retrofit, as i do not want to spend more on the projectors... I AM VERY CLOSE to buying these projectors! very excited.. but should i put hid or halogen in ? if i put halogen bulb in, i will definately choose the phillips range, diamond vision or crystal vision.. all suggestions will be considered. also i own a 05civic sedan sitting on 18's not lowered.. hehe i have kept pics away from this forum until i feel its ready.
i'll spare you the speach i gave dlprince about highjacking as you can read it a couple posts up.

that said......

those look like Sonar projectors. i think Gearbox put HID's in his and they were horrible. really bad hot spots and areas that were dimmer than halogen. the problem with HID's and projectors is the focal point. since the reflector bowl of a projector is so much smaller than the reflector housing on a stock headlight, the projectors are much more sensitive to the focal point of a bulb. if you're going to run halogen bulbs in projectors, TYC makes the best aftermarket halogen projectors. if you're wanting a housing to retrofit with an HID projector later on like LT, then the sonars would be okay. they have less room to work with than the TYC though. i retro'd a set of TYC's. so pretty much, if you and to go with plug and play HID's (get a harness too, don't run off your stock wires) just use your stock housings. if you want to do a retro, then go with one of the aftermarket housings.

Last edited by electric130; 06-28-2007 at 09:35 PM.
Old 06-29-2007
Registered!!

yo thx so heaps for the advice, i forgot to say that i am from australia.. and in kangaroo land they dont seem to sell any parts for 05 civic sedan.. as they arent all that popular of here... i have looked everywhere. all local shops etc and have not been able to find any other 05 civic projectors.. therefore my last option is the good old ebay and these were the only ones i have found.... i am guessing that TYC is a brand, any body hav a website for them or anything ...

Originally Posted by electric130
i'll spare you the speach i gave dlprince about highjacking as you can read it a couple posts up.

that said......

those look like Sonar projectors. i think Gearbox put HID's in his and they were horrible. really bad hot spots and areas that were dimmer than halogen. the problem with HID's and projectors is the focal point. since the reflector bowl of a projector is so much smaller than the reflector housing on a stock headlight, the projectors are much more sensitive to the focal point of a bulb. if you're going to run halogen bulbs in projectors, TYC makes the best aftermarket halogen projectors. if you're wanting a housing to retrofit with an HID projector later on like LT, then the sonars would be okay. they have less room to work with than the TYC though. i retro'd a set of TYC's. so pretty much, if you and to go with plug and play HID's (get a harness too, don't run off your stock wires) just use your stock housings. if you want to do a retro, then go with one of the aftermarket housings.
Old 06-30-2007
Administrator
Administrator

Originally Posted by jwai
therefore my last option is the good old ebay and these were the only ones i have found.... i am guessing that TYC is a brand, any body hav a website for them or anything ...
yes tyc is a brand. just go to ebay and search "civic tyc"
Old 06-30-2007
I wil fix vBPlaza today

^^ nono then he will think altezzas are good! but type civic tyc projectors!
Old 07-01-2007
Registered!!

yeh just did that but none for 05
Old 07-01-2007
I wil fix vBPlaza today

oh... crap.. yeah all u have for the 05's are those halos