Lighting Use this for all your lighting questions

HID Bulb TYC Dremel'd - but questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WhiteHalf is an unknown quantity at this point
HID Bulb TYC Dremel'd - but questions

Hey guys, so as you know I recently got HID's for the TYC's. Yes, the bulb didn't fit, so I dremeled out the hole to be bigger.

Now my question is, how big should I make the hole, or does it make any difference.

My hole right now allows the bulb to slide in, but it is still quite tight - a tight fit. I don't think any of the metal walls are touching the bulb, but the metal is close.

So I am wondering if that is bad - aka the bulb will heat up, and the metal will maybe reflect the heat back, by the metal heating up also. I just dont know if this will actually make a difference or if it doesn't do anything - thats why I'm asking.

And hey as a general question is it bad lets say if the bulb did touch the metal on the inside ? (maybe I'll go dremel it bigger)

Thx
Old 03-26-2006
Registered!!

2k2_civic_ex_4d is a splendid one to behold2k2_civic_ex_4d is a splendid one to behold2k2_civic_ex_4d is a splendid one to behold2k2_civic_ex_4d is a splendid one to behold2k2_civic_ex_4d is a splendid one to behold2k2_civic_ex_4d is a splendid one to behold2k2_civic_ex_4d is a splendid one to behold2k2_civic_ex_4d is a splendid one to behold2k2_civic_ex_4d is a splendid one to behold2k2_civic_ex_4d is a splendid one to behold
The bulb should sit snug at it's base and the bulb holder. You don't want a tight fit. As for metal pieces being close to the bulb, I dont think you have anything to worry about, just make sure nothing is actually touching the bulb. hope this helps. Also try Hidplanet.com/forums it's very very informative.
Old 03-28-2006
Registered!!

jay78 is on a distinguished road
make sure bulb base wich is in black end part touches the metal and no room between has to be flat so light dosent leak....

Last edited by jay78; 03-30-2006 at 03:24 PM.
Old 03-30-2006
Registered!!

ok is that english ? I have no idea what that meant

2k2, thx yeah ... I dremeled it out, and the fit is snug, but the bulb plate is stilling completely flush with the metal housing - and the metal latch attaches and keeps the bulb in there tight.

From what I'm guessin', if the bulb plate is sitting flush (meaning its not going in angled - then the bulb should be straight as well. So it shouldn't be touching any metal - however I cannot see inside so thats what bothers me.
Old 03-30-2006
Registered!!

boxcarracer is a jewel in the roughboxcarracer is a jewel in the roughboxcarracer is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by WhiteHalf

2k2, thx yeah ... I dremeled it out, and the fit is snug, but the bulb plate is stilling completely flush with the metal housing - and the metal latch attaches and keeps the bulb in there tight.

From what I'm guessin', if the bulb plate is sitting flush (meaning its not going in angled - then the bulb should be straight as well. So it shouldn't be touching any metal - however I cannot see inside so thats what bothers me.
^^
Old 03-30-2006
Registered!!

2k2_civic_ex_4d is a splendid one to behold2k2_civic_ex_4d is a splendid one to behold2k2_civic_ex_4d is a splendid one to behold2k2_civic_ex_4d is a splendid one to behold2k2_civic_ex_4d is a splendid one to behold2k2_civic_ex_4d is a splendid one to behold2k2_civic_ex_4d is a splendid one to behold2k2_civic_ex_4d is a splendid one to behold2k2_civic_ex_4d is a splendid one to behold2k2_civic_ex_4d is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by WhiteHalf

If the bulb is sitting flush and it doesn't rock around the bulb will be sitting the way it's suppose to.
Old 03-30-2006
Registered!!

Yah I know ... just that I had to dremel the hole bigger ... so technically it could be sitting right, but it could still be so tight that the metal could be touching the bulb - but I can't really see in.
Old 04-01-2006
Registered!!

ser02rav4 is an unknown quantity at this point
go and get some valeo hid projectors for 100 set, you will be able just swap tyc into valeo quite simple, no mod.
Old 04-01-2006
Registered!!

Well ... hmm maybe next season ... Ok so I just got antsy and just dremel'd the **** outta the metal housing ... So now the hole is definately not touching or coming close to touching the bulb ...

Just hope all that fooling around with the bulb didn't do anything to them. No I didnt ever touch them with my hands, but all the in and out with the metal (musta been like 15 times per bulb).