Lighting Use this for all your lighting questions

DIY LED Gauge Cluster II

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2005
Last time I had this much fun some furniture got broken!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
diskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to behold
DIY LED Gauge Cluster II

If you want the LED gauge look, and dont want to do all that ridiculous work gearbox did, then this is for you!
By the way between this and my other DIY it seems I really like to take other people's ideas and build on them. So hopefully my work and ideas can make your modding MUCH easier.
Here is what you will end up with, in any common color:

What you will need:
  • Phillips head screw driver
  • Flat head screw driver
  • Small, <3" long, phillips head screwdriver
  • Needle nose pliers (not required)
  • 13 LEDs in #74 bulb socket
  • 10 .2" bulb covers
  • 2 thumbs are necessary, preferrably all 10 fingers
  • Dremel with sanding drum OR sandpaper
  • Super glue

Links
LEDs in #74 socket can be bought from Super Bright LEDs. They are $1.79 each, which is over $1 less for each bulb and socket than a crappy non-LED bulb from honda.Bulb covers can be bought at Parts Express for $1.70 + shipping for 10.NOTE: The bulb covers are NOT necessary, but they do help diffuse the LED's light a little bit. For less than $2 its not a bad buy, but you do not need to get these either.

Ok so we got those things. Now what do we do?!
Procedure:
  1. START BY TAKING A PICTURE OF WHERE THE GAS GAUGE IS, AND MAKE SURE YOU CAR IS COOL!
  2. Start by removing the gauge trim. To do this take your small phillips head screw driver and unscrew the 2 screws directly above your gauges.
  3. Pull out the trim piece. If this is the first time it will take alot since its glued on at the bottom by the steering wheel column.
  4. With that removed, you will see 3 screws. 1 above the gauges, and 2 on the lower sides. Remove these screws.
  5. Gently pull the cluster towards you, and tilt it downward. Remove the 2 plugs.
  6. Remove the cluster and take it inside for surgery.
  7. From the back of the cluster, take off the clear cover by pushing in and up on all of its clips.
  8. Repeat for the black trim overlay.
  9. Now we have a naked cluster. Good! Remove the needles. BE CAREFUL. You will want to put 2 fingers on the needles, and pull gently STRAIGHT up. Do not

turn the needles or tilt them. Pull straight up.
  10. Now remove the plastic circular pieces that were under the needles and put em in a safe place.
  11. Remove the gauge faces by pulling them out (self explanitory.)
  12. Look on the back of the 2 gauge faces. We need to clear off that "filter" that goes behind all the letters and numbers for all 4 Gauges. Its printed

directly on the back of the faces.
  13. Take a knife, or you can try an alcohol rub, and scrape/wipe off the filter on the back of the gauge faces. You will know when you are done because you

will see the outline of the numbers and letters through the face now.
  14. Repeat for other gauge face.
  15. Hold both up to a light source to see any missed spots.
  16. Finish removing filter, and clean off back of gauge faces with rubbing alcohol or nail polish remover.
  17. Put the gauge faces back on the gauge cluster. Put the clack circular pieces back over the faces to keep them in place.
  18. Now we have to clear the needles, unless you don't want to see them at night.
  19. Flip over the needles and look at the underside. That middle cylinder of gray-ish plastic is its own piece. You need to remove it. It helps if you pull

straight up with needle nose pliers.
  20. Repeat for other 3 needles.
  21. Remove the needle from the black needle trim piece by tilting up upward and pulling it out from the bottom.
  22. Repeat for the other 3 needles.
  23. Take your sandpaper or sanding drum on the dremel and lightly sand the top and bottom of the needles. You will remove the red on the tops and the white on

the bottoms. Be careful not to sand too much. Also dont worry if they look rough, from a foot away they will just look more white and thats fine.
  24. Now we gotta get em back together. First put the needles back into the black needle shrouds.
  25. Use the superglue to get the bottom piece back on (the piece with the cylinder that attaches to the cluster)
  26. Let it dry for at least 30 mins so if you have to remove the needles again it wont come apart again.
  27. Now this is the hard part... Getting the needles back on. To do this plug the cluster back in, with it still opened, and turn the car to "on", but do not

start it.
  28. Look at where your gas gauge was before. Gently put the needle back on, pointing to the exact same spot.
  29. If your car is 100% cooled down put the temp needle pointing to the top of the C. You should know where it goes.
  30. Now RPM and speedometer are a pain in the butt and will most likely take a FEW tries. With the car off, but key at the "ON" position, line the needles up

with the lowest mark, and gently push it on.
  31. If the needle goes all the way down give it a tug to get it about 1mm - 2mm above the gauge faces. If its all the way down it catches and jumps around.

Annoying!
  32. Turn on the car and take it for a test drive with it all opened up. Get above 40 mph, and above 4k rpm and then pull back home and turn off the car. If

your needles are sitting just above the lowest line you gotta take em off and do it again till you get it right. Good luck, this took me a few tries!
  33. I found that the easiest way to get them in right is turn the car off after driving and then take the needles off. Turn it back to "on" but dont start it

yet. With the car like this line the needle with the top of the plastic stop and push it on, THEN move the needle to the left of the stop. That should do the

trick.
  34. So we got the gauges all ready, now we gotta get them lit! Immediatly unplug the gauges and cover the cluster back up with the black and clear covers so

that you cant knock them out of calibration again. The hard parts are now done. From here it is smooth sailing!
  35. Now get the cluster out and look at the back. You will see a bunch of big black plastic bulb holders and in an auto a few small green ones. Don't touch

the green ones!
  36. Remove the black bulb sockets.
  37. Take your #74 LED sockets and place a bulb cover over all but 3 of them. You get 10 bulb covers and have 13 LEDs; perfect!
  38. First you will want to put in the 4 LEDs in the top middle. The top most 2 are the turn signals, and the middle is the high beam light. The bottom of the

4 is an actual backlight. The 3 LEDs without bulb covers go in the top 3 spots. They dont need bulb covers.
  39. Plug the cluster in, and check to make sure the 4 work. If 1 doesnt, turn it around.
  40. Do this for every other hole with all the other bulb cover'ed LEDs.
  41. Plug it in and check it to see if they all light up. Check to see you have all the backlights, odometer, cruise, turn signals, high beam, and key lights

working. The key light is the one that flashes when you turn the car on and off. Its the icon of the key with a chip in it.
  42. If an LED doesnt work, revearse it. Remember the function of a diode, light emitting or not, is to only allows voltage through one way, so if it isnt working its backwards.
  43. So everything is basically done now. Plug the gauge cluster back in and put it back into place.
  44. Screw the top, black screw in about 1/2 way to hold the cluster in place. Start the bottom 2 corner screws. Tighten the top screw all the way.
  45. Tighten the bottom screws all the way.
  46. Put the trim back into place, and screw it in with the 2 screws.
  47. Enjoy

Finished Pics. Day & Night:

On - day

Off - day

Unfortunatly I dont have any progress pics. So I made this as detailed as possible. As always, if you have any questions you want answered before or during an attempt at doing this mod, PM me! I will reply as soon as i get on my computer! Rep and comments appreciated.
Old 10-14-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sweeteli99 will become famous soon enoughsweeteli99 will become famous soon enough
Nice DIY, i was looking to make mine red... its orange/red right now. I think i'm going to go ahead and buy the LED's from the site you posted.

and are those drag slicks in front of your car? lol
Old 10-14-2005

diskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to behold
HAHA they are spent tires from a NASCAR event. they are 15" wheel but the tire is about 4" diameter too wide to fit on a civic!
They are going to become an end table one day when I get glass cut for them
Old 10-14-2005
Banned

p5hnganthrday has a little shameless behaviour in the past
so these leds replace (plug and play) those OEM halogen bulbs behind the cluster?
Old 10-14-2005

Originally Posted by p5hnganthrday
so these leds replace (plug and play) those OEM halogen bulbs behind the cluster?
they replace the OEM bulbs that light the cluster. halogen, I don't know about that part. But yeah they are 100% plug and play. Check the link and look for yourself. Why would I lie after all the work of writing this?
Old 10-14-2005
Banned

Originally Posted by diskreet
they replace the OEM bulbs that light the cluster. halogen, I don't know about that part.
You didnt realize that the OEM bulbs were little halogen bulbs?

Thats why I was wondering if it was a direct swap with the LED ones

I remember Gearbox mentioning that there are no aftermarket bulbs that would fit

Glad it did though cause now I can just purchase these LEDs instead of spending like $6/oem bulb
Old 10-14-2005
Banned

Originally Posted by sweeteli99
Nice DIY, i was looking to make mine red... its orange/red right now. I think i'm going to go ahead and buy the LED's from the site you posted.

and are those drag slicks in front of your car? lol
Since you have been here for such a long time...

You should know that you DONT need those LEDs

All you would need are 2 condoms per OEM bulb... By placing 2 condoms over each bulb you will have a pure red light

The point in purchasing the LEDs would be to achieve a nice white, blue, green, or UV? Color.

Noob
Old 10-14-2005
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
if you want to try and make the light more even, put pieces of paper over the hotspots to make them dimmer. Still looks great.
Old 10-14-2005
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
for the person wanting to make it red, you can use bulbs due to the qualities of the light spectrum. I just did one and it looks very red and bright. I'm selling it for $100 if you want. its an 01 auto with black face. Just gotta clear the gauges and then put red transparent tape.
Old 10-17-2005
Registered!!

civic_newbie is an unknown quantity at this point
Do I need to buy the "T1.5 Instrument LED bulb" or can i just buy a #74 led wedge bulb.....can't justify the $30 shipping asked by superbrightleds....looking for local supplier...
Old 10-17-2005

Originally Posted by civic_newbie
Do I need to buy the "T1.5 Instrument LED bulb" or can i just buy a #74 led wedge bulb.....can't justify the $30 shipping asked by superbrightleds....looking for local supplier...

you can just get the wedge bulbs but i figured its better to have them in the socket already so im not fumbling around with them. but yeah you can do that. and shipping was like $5 for me.
Old 10-18-2005
Registered!!

civic_newbie is an unknown quantity at this point
out of curiousity....how would the cluster look if it wasn't cleared but just had the globes replaced with leds?
Old 10-18-2005
Premium Member

very bad. actually most of the light wouldn't even make it through the paint. even if you kept the bulbs and used red covers, it would still look dim.
Old 10-18-2005

Originally Posted by civic_newbie
out of curiousity....how would the cluster look if it wasn't cleared but just had the globes replaced with leds?
with blue... it would look blue-green and dim enough to be useless at night. needles wouldnt glow at all.
Old 10-29-2005
The internet says Im a loser

Anathema is a glorious beacon of lightAnathema is a glorious beacon of lightAnathema is a glorious beacon of lightAnathema is a glorious beacon of lightAnathema is a glorious beacon of lightAnathema is a glorious beacon of light
Out of curiosity.. Did you do the same thing with the air conditioning controls?

How did you go about doing that?
Old 10-29-2005

Originally Posted by Anathema
Out of curiosity.. Did you do the same thing with the air conditioning controls?

How did you go about doing that?

I used the kits from ledautomotive.com for everything else! I could have ordered everything seperate but its hard to get anything in that small of a quantity at a good price. just go there for kits for every other interior light
Old 10-29-2005
The internet says Im a loser

Anathema is a glorious beacon of lightAnathema is a glorious beacon of lightAnathema is a glorious beacon of lightAnathema is a glorious beacon of lightAnathema is a glorious beacon of lightAnathema is a glorious beacon of light
Thanks.. I've seen them before, but I didn't know if there was a DIY but I guess they just sell a DIY kit..
Old 10-30-2005

welcome. all you do is order the kit, get out the soldering iron and the parts from the car. 20 mins later or so and your interior is no longer backlitlit green
Old 11-08-2005
Proudly Canadian

Slawek is an unknown quantity at this point
nice writeup. i just dont like the 'hotspots' the led's left. i'm glad my car came stock with led's
Old 11-21-2005
Registered!!

circleburner is an unknown quantity at this point
need help

So I take it there is no DIY for the heater controls on changing the colors of the lights as you can see I am new here and the g/f wants all to match the dash lights as I am going to try that swap.

05 civic coupe
Old 11-21-2005

Climate Control Info Here http://www.ledautomotive.com/HowToGu...shLEDHowTo.asp

Their kits are perfect for all the other lights inside the car. But for the gauge cluster you still have to follow my diy.
Old 12-01-2005
Registered!!

AlienX will become famous soon enough
if you want progress pics you can steal some from my ride pics. If there is any that you want and its not in there, pm or email me and ill send you some more. The way you did it was quick and simple, but really uneven lighting. Good work either way.
Old 12-01-2005

thanks. I am not going to be around till monday so i have to put off updating this till then.
Old 12-01-2005
Registered!!

np, i gotta update mine since stupid server change messed everything up
Old 12-16-2005
Registered!!

pwrdbykmfdm is an unknown quantity at this point
questions for you, on the trip/mileage gauge how did you get yours so bright?
i did this DIY with the blacl light UV and it looks awesome, cept my mileage gauge is really dim[i used blue for it].
i dont remember there being any of that filter on there, mabey my bulb is bad?
also just a few things i ran into are those damn needles dont come out so easily, i had to use needle nose and i thought i was about to break the freakin things then they finally popped out! lol
also i learned that there is a certain way to insert the LED bulbs, there no rym or reason to it but there must be a positive and negative cause i had to go over all mine cause some were lit and some not so i had to flip them around till they came on.
other than that it was a piece of pie...or is it cake..? well it was easy, lol
thank you very much for this DIY i love my new gauges.
Old 12-16-2005

Originally Posted by pwrdbykmfdm
questions for you, on the trip/mileage gauge how did you get yours so bright?
i did this DIY with the blacl light UV and it looks awesome, cept my mileage gauge is really dim[i used blue for it].
i dont remember there being any of that filter on there, mabey my bulb is bad?
also just a few things i ran into are those damn needles dont come out so easily, i had to use needle nose and i thought i was about to break the freakin things then they finally popped out! lol
also i learned that there is a certain way to insert the LED bulbs, there no rym or reason to it but there must be a positive and negative cause i had to go over all mine cause some were lit and some not so i had to flip them around till they came on.
other than that it was a piece of pie...or is it cake..? well it was easy, lol
thank you very much for this DIY i love my new gauges.
there is a filter over the gas gauge part, and the temp gauge too. you gotta get that off. but check the bulb in that spot first.

about the LED being only one way:
LED stands for Light Emitting Diode. A diode is a device which allows current to pass through only one direction. So a light emitting diode, being a diode, will only work when current is passed through one way. When its backwards nothing happens
Old 12-17-2005
Registered!!

unless its bi-polar :P just like some ppl on these forums
Old 12-17-2005
Registered!!

pwrdbykmfdm is an unknown quantity at this point
lmao, hahaha!
bi polar...
aight then, the LED for the brights must be in backwards.
still about the odometer gauge though, its so dim...mabey its just the bulb cause i am pretty sure there was no filter over it.
thanks
Old 12-17-2005

yeah the odometer has no filter. I don't know why yours is so dim

the only time mine looks dim is in the day. you can't see the blue at all. but at night it looks like all the rest of the lighting
Old 01-16-2006
Registered!!

SIXTY is an unknown quantity at this point
i took my car to honda(dads job) to fix a problem with the fuel guage and got a new cluster in blue... now thats blue and the radio and **** is red..

Quick Reply: DIY LED Gauge Cluster II