Old 01-16-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SIXTY is an unknown quantity at this point
Old 01-16-2006
Registered!!

AlienX will become famous soon enough
that is pimp I think i might have found my self a new item to buy muhahaha... i love my DIY swap, but the blue rings are sick.. too bad the needles are still orange/red, but I can fix that
Old 01-16-2006
Registered!!

sixty, you need to add a blue center like so:
Old 01-16-2006
Last time I had this much fun some furniture got broken!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
diskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to behold
thats alot of contrast but sounds cool sixty

edit: now that I look at it, i like it. you could change the center to blue but hey it actually looks good as it is.
Old 01-16-2006
Registered!!

sixty, if u want I can mod u a blue radio..
Old 01-18-2006
Registered!!

scrimp is a glorious beacon of lightscrimp is a glorious beacon of lightscrimp is a glorious beacon of lightscrimp is a glorious beacon of lightscrimp is a glorious beacon of lightscrimp is a glorious beacon of lightscrimp is a glorious beacon of light
Hey diskreet...do u think those T1.5 Instrument bulbs will fit into the controls for the climate controls and the three buttons Vents, A/C, and Defrost? If so, then im getting them
Old 01-18-2006

diskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by scrimp
Hey diskreet...do u think those T1.5 Instrument bulbs will fit into the controls for the climate controls and the three buttons Vents, A/C, and Defrost? If so, then im getting them
Actually I am not sure on that specific size. You can order 1 and try it. Or to do the center console you need to get resistors and leds. go get a kit from ledautomotive.com and save yourself some frustration.
Old 01-18-2006
Registered!!

scrimp is a glorious beacon of lightscrimp is a glorious beacon of lightscrimp is a glorious beacon of lightscrimp is a glorious beacon of lightscrimp is a glorious beacon of lightscrimp is a glorious beacon of lightscrimp is a glorious beacon of light
Cool thanks for the website....this will save me some time and frustration +1 for u
Old 01-18-2006

thats why I made a DIY... to help!
Old 02-26-2006
Registered!!

utahbmxer is an unknown quantity at this point
Sweet Write Up.

Quick question: I'm doing some research on converting to LED's in my dash and Instrument Panel, just figuring out some ideas and building off the DIY's here. I was wondering if the brightness of the LED's will Dim down when you adjust the "Dash Lights Brightness ****"?

I assume it does even with the resistor on the LED's.

Thanks!
Old 02-26-2006
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
it does if you wire it to the actual power wires for each piece. chances are you won't have to dim it. and when you put leds in there, they will need to be facing forward or you will barely get any light.
Old 02-26-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
it does if you wire it to the actual power wires for each piece. chances are you won't have to dim it. and when you put leds in there, they will need to be facing forward or you will barely get any light.
Sweet, figured it would. Thanks!
Old 03-02-2006
Registered!!

boxcarracer is a jewel in the roughboxcarracer is a jewel in the roughboxcarracer is a jewel in the rough
can i change the colors for the seatbelt warning light, oil check engine, battery, etc everything else thats not blue i wanna make it white
Old 03-02-2006
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
i'm looking in one now, and they are all leds except the signal lights and far light which are bulbs. also the immobilizer, signals, and far lights have colored icons. i am pretty sure leds will still shine but with white its tricky. you'll prolly see green still for those 3 icons. blue would work. the rest of the icons are clear but you will have to replace the leds that are wired to the circuitboard.
Old 03-02-2006
Registered!!

boxcarracer is a jewel in the roughboxcarracer is a jewel in the roughboxcarracer is a jewel in the rough
this is to a 2002 LX Coupe Replacing Gauge Bulbs But Diskreet says to get 1.5 but diagram says 1.4W

Old 03-02-2006
Premium Member

well like i said before, you can't change any of those from the back. the cluster bulbs are clear but the face has a painted color coat. the other indicator lights are LEDS. the ones that you can change the bulb have green or blue color icons. so i fail to see how changing anything in the back will matter.
Old 03-02-2006

You can change anything, but realistically I wouldn't do anything else even with a good electronics knowledge and a steady soldering hand. It is possible, with new leds, but I wouldn't do it.

About the bulbs, it says 1.4W which might mean that they are 1.4 watt bulbs. The wattage of anything tells you how much power it is using, or how many Joules per second it uses.

Last edited by diskreet; 03-02-2006 at 10:08 PM.
Old 03-03-2006
Registered!!

they are all running at 12v.
Best way to connect the LEDs and maintain the dimmer control is to connect to the red for power, and red-black as a switched ground. These are both on the blue plug.
Enjoy.
Old 03-04-2006
Registered!!

hdave is an unknown quantity at this point
so to make my cluster blue, i can jsut replace all the bulbs with blue led ones??

i thought i cant do that because of the coloured film or something
Old 03-04-2006
Premium Member

well before you put leds in there, you have to clear the back of the gauge face with solvent (acetone and q-tip works well).
Old 03-04-2006

exactly what gearbox said Read the diy I have posted
Old 03-08-2006
Registered!!

Here is a pic of my Gauges. I also did the AC, Def buttons, still need to do the climate control *****. Its still in the works. This is just Blue LEDs, I haven't removed filter from back of the face yet.

I removed the #74 socket piece and drilled a tiny hole in the back of it. I then cut the Neg side of the led short and connected it inside the socket. The positive lead goes out the hole and then I soldered the resistor on and then to the little copper connector (which contacts the circuit board). Here is a pic to help you visualize cause I didn't take a photo of it when I had it apart.

Still planning to:
-Replace weak LEDs with more intensity (I got 45deg not knowing they were 800mcd, BLAH)
-Remove filter/paint from rear of face
-Sand needles and maybe paint the back of them White for reflection
-Add white LEDs behind needles so they are bright!
Old 03-08-2006

Looks good utahbmxer!
Old 03-08-2006
Premium Member

i would stay away from using two different led colors in there. for the needles, take em apart and strip the paint off with 90% isopropyl alcohol. then paint only the bottom with white glass paint. you can use leds below the needle or use the light guides to put the leds from the side and they will work.
Old 03-08-2006
Registered!!

hdave is an unknown quantity at this point
that looks really good utahbmxer
Old 03-08-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
...you can use leds below the needle or use the light guides to put the leds from the side and they will work.
Ya, I was planning on using the light guides or something to "channel" the light into the needles so the white light doesn't show up in numbers, etc. I just want to go for a unique look. I haven't really opened the cluster to much, maybe if its possible I will solder some LEDs right to the board and position them behind the needles? I'll have to open it and look inside. I really do like the blue though, it goes well with my Receiver/Deck (Sony 5700, has 7 colors to choose from ).
Old 03-08-2006
Premium Member

the problem is the needles are designed to light up with bulbs. if you try and use leds, it will be very dim even with white. you could do what i did and clear the needles with isopropyl alcohol and then paint the bottom white. then you can use leds to make it light up any color.
Old 03-12-2006
Registered!!

A few things learned, no more guessing.

Ok, so I think I did as much as I'm going to with my dash. A few days ago I posted a pic of my gauges, the needles hadn't been cleared yet and now they are and a I did all the climate controls. I also decided to leave the blueish filter on the back of the faces. I noticed it was thicker in certain areas to eliminate/soften the hotspots. Its still noticable, but I think its not as bad as it would be without the filter stuff.

Here is a pic of the light socket..

Day, lights off..

Day, lights on..

Night, close up..

Night, full dash..

I also found a fool proof way for getting the needles back into position. I got them perfect, first try! (Tach and speed, you're on your own as for the temp and fuel, which was expained earlier) refer to this pic..

1. After you have cleared your needles don't put them back on yet, put the cluster in the dash and plug it in.
2. Turn the igntion to ON, but don't start it.
3. If you look at the magenta mark in the pic, this is the true 0 mark. Its not marked on the face. Look at the orange line. Take the distance from the 20 to the 10 line and then go that same amount from the 10 past the printed 0. This is your True 0, but the needle can't actually go there cause the post (red) stops it.
4. Now that you have found where 0 is, carefully put the needle (green) on while making sure that you keep it lined up with the true 0.
5. Push it on and leave a little space between it and the face, making sure it moves freely.
6. Ok, now its correctly positioned. All you have to do now is turn the needle about 3/4 turn counter-clockwise and let it settle on the post. Do this for the other one as well, same concept.

Sorry I had so many pics. I'm bored
Hope this helps!
Old 03-12-2006
Premium Member

looks good to me. i've never had a needle problem so long as i put em back in the same position before turning the ignition. its supposed to have an auto calibrate which is the chattering sound the needle makes moving up and down for a few seconds.

Quick Reply: DIY LED Gauge Cluster II