Honda Civic Racing: Drift/Drag/AutoX/Time Attack There are different setups needed if you are using your civic for drifting, drag or track racing

Surviving the snow

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fathan16 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Surviving the snow

if you slide while braking and about to rear end someone, it's usually better just to drive off the road, ive done this and ended up with no damage and pulled back onto the road
Old 03-06-2009
Registered!!

Schuy is an unknown quantity at this point

I live in MN, and dont think ebraking is a great way to make corners lol, if you dont have front traction already, odds are that you will end up spinning or just sliding sideways into the nearest solid object (curbs will bend your rims up nicely).

For starting on ice and snow i always use the 2 option in my auto, since that produces less tourqe and thereby less wheel spin from a dead stop.

For braking, just let of the gas earlier and dont slam the brakes, you'll do fine.
Old 03-06-2009
Registered!!

DDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of light

Umm, technically, in D2 in an auto, you have more torque because it keeps your car in a lower gear.
Old 03-08-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by DDragon7
Umm, technically, in D2 in an auto, you have more torque because it keeps your car in a lower gear.
You just use it when you start then shift back up to d4 when your moving. It just produces less wheel spin then starting in d4 and getting 1st gear. Yes if you were to actually drive on ice in 2 you get more torque. Its just 2 not D2, D2 implies you have first, but in civics you dont
Old 03-10-2009
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by DDragon7
actually, u dont "get more torque" from driving in D2.

all D2 does is locks it in 2nd gear...and because ur lower gears have alot of torque, it helps for hauling stuff.

(maybe you know this but i understood ur answer incorrectly, or u type it out wrong)

and whoever said using ur Ebrake in snowy condition should not be contributing to this thread. because most of the weight in the civic is in front, if you manually engage in ur ebrake, ur rear will slide outta control.
Old 03-10-2009

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Schuy
You just use it when you start then shift back up to d4 when your moving. It just produces less wheel spin then starting in d4 and getting 1st gear. Yes if you were to actually drive on ice in 2 you get more torque. Its just 2 not D2, D2 implies you have first, but in civics you dont
no no no and more no. that IS INCORRECT. your car doesnt produce more torque in D2 (say in 2nd gear) then it would in D4 (on 2nd gear). as i stated, D2 locks ur car in 2nd gear, so you can MANUALLY select the topgear u are in.

I REPEAT, IT DOES NOT GIVE YOU MORE TORQUE.
Old 03-11-2009

seriously, i Ebraked (lightly too) on accident while taking a turn this past winter, and my car did a full 180 into the guardrail
Old 03-11-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
no no no and more no. that IS INCORRECT. your car doesnt produce more torque in D2 (say in 2nd gear) then it would in D4 (on 2nd gear). as i stated, D2 locks ur car in 2nd gear, so you can MANUALLY select the topgear u are in.

I REPEAT, IT DOES NOT GIVE YOU MORE TORQUE.
Alright let me be clear on what i mean. In "2" (NOT D2!) you get ONLY 2nd gear. NO 1st...at ALL. SO when when you take off from a stop in 2 you will produce less wheel spin because you have LESS torque BECAUSE YOU ARE IN A HIGHER GEAR THAN 1st. DDragon said that being in 2 would produce more tourque than d4. IT WOULD be true, if you NEVER shifted out of 2 and just drove high RPMS in 2, since then you would be hitting full HP without shifting to speed up. BUT that was completely beyond the point, the point was to start driectly in 2nd gear because it allows for a slower, more controlled, start, then once up to a decent rolling speed, run the shifter back up to d4 and let the car do as it will. Its simply, read the manual for your car, it clearly explains this. IT WILL NOT HELP YOU TOW ANYTHING AS IT STARTS IN 2ND GEAR, YOU WOULD BE PUTTING MASSIVE STRAIN ON YOUR ENGINE DOING THIS AS YOU WANT ALL YOUR LOW GEARS WHEN TOWING IN ANY VEHICLE. (Do not tow in a civic, btw. Terrible idea)

You are correct that you would NOT get more tourqe in second by locking in second than being there in d4. That was not even close to what i said.

Last edited by Schuy; 03-11-2009 at 09:54 AM.
Old 03-03-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,446 Likes on 1,201 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

also, don't lift the throttle suddenly during higher rpm or car could spin in corners.
Old 03-30-2011
Josh

99sicivic can only hope to improve

Clutch it hard and hold on tight
Old 11-16-2011
Registered!!

93Civicvteckid should not be trusted93Civicvteckid should not be trusted

Rip the e-brake around every corner, make sure you let the Vtec pop
Old 01-31-2013
Registered!!

s4boost should not be trusted

the best advice is to get tires based on the conditions youll be driving in. tires make a world of difference. i had a b5 s4 for 5 years with ultra high performance summer tires on them. quattro would always get me up and moving efficiently, but at 15-20 miles per hour i couldnt get the dang thing to stop no matter what. my tires were the cause
Old 01-31-2013
Registered!!

s4boost should not be trusted

get some steelies and some winter tires... youll be all good