Suspension Post your issues with Suspension here! Suspension will cover from Steering Column (Steer Wheel is in interior), Suspension, Bearing and Hubs

How I solved my dash rattling..

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2016
Registered!!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
guitarsnlikker is an unknown quantity at this point
How I solved my dash rattling..

Well solved most of it anyway. My dash rattle was really getting out of control. I also was experiencing some clunks on bumps and when brakes were applied mostly from the front of the car. These have gotten gradually more noticeable over the last 3 months. I replaced the stock front lower control arms, stock front end links, and stock ball joints. (Also put new rotors on the front). This was my first attempt at control arms ball joints etc. It was fairly easy once I got the right ball joint press. Some stores carry a press whose metal sleeves are just a millimeter too wide to allow for the receiving sleeve to fit over the ball joint and not push against the knuckle. All that said the car drives really good now, no clunks and.... the dash rattle is virtually non-existent.
Old 08-15-2016
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: How I solved my dash rattling..

glad you figured it out. That can get annoying.

I think the last time I rented the ball joint tool I had to get a special "Honda" kit to go with it.
Old 08-15-2016
GOT SAND?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dooner is an unknown quantity at this point

I just did both lower control arms, stabilizer end links, ball joints, and inner/outer tie rod ends. Didn't have the dash rattle though. Car does ride better, and the steering is a bit tighter then before for sure. There is a special ball joint tool for Hondas, and for what it's worth, there's a Honda inner tie rod tool as well. Found that out the hard way. For the life of me, I can't figure out why Honda designed the lower control arms the way they did. They should pivot in an up & down motion like most A-arms do.
Old 08-15-2016
Registered!!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
guitarsnlikker is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dooner
there's a Honda inner tie rod tool as well. Found that out the hard way.
thanks for the heads up on the tie rod tool. mine are the original ones and I'm sure they are worn as well after 225K miles. They will need changing when i can get to them.