Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Does anyone know how and where these pads/bushings are installed

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mrgadfly is an unknown quantity at this point
Does anyone know how and where these pads/bushings are installed

I recently replaced the clutch, drive shafts, struts and front lower control arms on a 2002 Honda Civic DX Coupe. When I dropped the subframe, these two pads (see attached pics) fell on the ground, one on each side of the car. They fell on the ground just under where each of the two rear bolts fasten the subframe to the bottom of the car.

I couldn’t see any “dust patterns” or any other signs as to how and in what direction they should be facing. I assumed they were supposed be slid over the two bolts and sandwiched between the subframe and the body, so that’s where I put them, but I’m not sure if I installed them correctly.

When I bought several replacement items at the local Honda dealership, I took the pads with me. I asked a couple of techs if they knew how these pads were mounted; they just shrugged their shoulders and said they didn’t know.

I also went through the shop manual on CD that I have, but I couldn’t find anything there.

Thanks for any input or information!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00836.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	78175  

Last edited by mrgadfly; 04-12-2010 at 04:30 PM.
Old 09-22-2010
Registered!!

Re: Does anyone know how and where these pads/bushings are installed

Bump.
Anyone?
Bueller?
Bueller?

I assumed they went between body and subframe. Slid two rear subframe bolts through. I took 'em out this time, and they were pretty ragged. I still can't figure where else they could go. Anyone?

Last edited by mrgadfly; 09-22-2010 at 04:48 PM.
Old 09-22-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,442 Likes on 1,198 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

try to browse this site, maybe?
http://www.bkhondaparts.com/billkay/...itch=&hidIrno=
Old 10-06-2010
Registered!!

Hey, sdaidoji!

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried that website, but like all the other websites I looked at, I couldn't find it there, either.

I finally went to Bankston Honda in Lewisville, Texas, and asked the parts man at the counter. He said he thought he had seen them before, but he wasn't sure. He checked with one of the old timer mechanics, too. He said the old timer had removed 70-80 subframes, but he had never seen these pads/bushings, either. He said their best guess was maybe somehow it was used in the assembly process of the Civic (some kind of spacer maybe?), but someone might have forgotten to take them out when they were supposed to.

So, after all this, I just left the darn things off.

Thank y'all again for the input!
Old 10-06-2010
Low and slow!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
02civicsi02 will become famous soon enough

Those pads go on the sides of the motors mounts. Not really know what they are for but i have seen these many times when working on my car and droping the sub frame. They usually have one on each side of the motor mount and has either came off the rear tranni mount or the front tranni mount.