Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

01 Civic not responding to accelerator

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tintin20 is an unknown quantity at this point
01 Civic not responding to accelerator

I have a 01 Civic EX 5spd Manual. Over the last month or so I have a strange issue every morning when I drive the car after about a mile or so it stops responding to the accelerator. Then if i press it hard the car jerks and responds. If I press the clutch and rev it up it responds but in gear there is no response.

Then if I park the car turn it off wait 10 seconds and turn it back on there is no issue until the next day. Any ideas?

Oh.. and there are no check engine lights except once when the CEL turned on and the code was for the primary O2 sensor which turned off bu itself in a day or so.
Old 09-19-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 01 Civic not responding to accelerator

and there are no check engine lights except once when the CEL turned on and the code was for the primary O2 sensor which
Unplug that primary sensor and drive it, see if the problem does not happen while the sensor is unplugged.
Old 09-19-2016
Registered!!

So it happened again today. and I just pressed really hard on the accelerator and it jerked a little and then worked fine.. but the CEL is now on.. So I will unplug the sensor cable tomorrow and see what it does...
Old 09-19-2016

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

but the CEL is now on.
Before unplugging the sensor it did this?
What's the code now?
Old 09-22-2016
Registered!!

Been driving with the sensor unplugged.. CEL is on but there are no problems now. So I think I need a new O2 sensor..
Old 09-22-2016

You did not check new fault code before unplugging the sensor?

If symptom is gone while primary sensor is unplugged, I'd replace the sensor. Use the same brand sensor as original (it will be either DENSO or NTK).
Old 09-30-2016
Registered!!

changed the O2 sensor... and problem is gone... removing it was a PITA though... thanks for the help guys...
Old 09-30-2016

Originally Posted by tintin20
changed the O2 sensor... and problem is gone... removing it was a PITA though... thanks for the help guys...
Right on, thanks for the update