Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2005 Civic Squeaking

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
chi_tea is an unknown quantity at this point
2005 Civic Squeaking

Thanks for any input in advance!

I am a proud owner of a 2005 Honda Civic DX. All the necessary maintenance has been done and the car is running great. However, there is one problem - it makes a high pitch squeaking noise from the belts section during cold start (i.e. starting car after parked overnight, or 3-4 hour parked during day time).

I first noticed the loud squeaking around February and have already put around 10k miles on the car. The squeaking noise only comes very noticeable in the first couple minutes of driving WITH fan/AC turned on. After the engine heats up the noise goes away. If I turn on the AC during a cold start the noise will stay for about 1-3 minutes until it goes away (in February it was only 20-30 seconds).

I took it to a couple of independent mechanics they all said everything looks fine. Even though they have re-tensioned the belt the noise still comes up. The closest Honda dealership is 50-60 miles away and they asked me to leave the car there overnight. Its just too much hassle.

Did anyone have experience with this problem? Hopefully its not a safety concern ...

Last edited by chi_tea; 08-08-2016 at 11:40 PM.
Old 08-09-2016
Registered!!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
guitarsnlikker is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 2005 Civic Squeaking

yep my 2005LX had similar noise/squeak. I changed out the alt/ac belt and the power steering belt (even though both "looked" ok) since they both had about 80K miles on them made sure the belts were tight and problem solved. If you do change them buy quality belts don't buy the cheapest thing at your local parts store. Good luck.
Old 08-09-2016
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GusBuz is a jewel in the roughGusBuz is a jewel in the roughGusBuz is a jewel in the rough

First check the tension, the belts might have gotten loose specially if they are aftermarket they tend to lose tension after break in.

Also do it soon because the longer you stay with them loose the belts will need to be replaced again.
Old 08-09-2016
Registered!!

yep my 2005LX had similar noise/squeak. I changed out the alt/ac belt and the power steering belt (even though both "looked" ok) since they both had about 80K miles on them made sure the belts were tight and problem solved. If you do change them buy quality belts don't buy the cheapest thing at your local parts store. Good luck.
I do have the parts for the two belts. Bando 4PK1010 and 6PK986. Are they good enough or do I have to get genuine OEM? Also is there any diagram that I can show to the mechanics to make sure they tension it correctly?

Thanks!
Old 08-09-2016
The legs in the public bathroom stall

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
mcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to behold

Bando belts are OEM belts on many hondas.

They also use gates and mitsuboshi belts on many vehicles.
Old 08-09-2016
Registered!!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
guitarsnlikker is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chi_tea
I do have the parts for the two belts. Bando 4PK1010 and 6PK986. Are they good enough or do I have to get genuine OEM? Also is there any diagram that I can show to the mechanics to make sure they tension it correctly?

Thanks!
those should be fine in my opinion. I assume your mechanic already checked the tension of the existing belts? Your mechanic should know how to tension them correctly. However if you are looking for numbers.... according to my Chilton Honda civic service manual the deflection of a NEW belt will be 0.20-0.26inch for the alt/ac belt and 0.35-0.43 inch for the power steering belt. An OLD alt/ac belt will have deflection of 0.33-0.43 inch and OLD power steering belt will be between. 0.51-0.65 inch. Deflection is the measure by which you can move the belt up or down (just google search you will see what i mean). Hope it all works out for ya! .

Last edited by guitarsnlikker; 08-09-2016 at 01:00 PM.
Old 08-09-2016
The legs in the public bathroom stall

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
mcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to behold

Those deflection specs require the use of the proper belt tension gauge. Without the gauge there is no way to properly determine how much force is being used to move the belt.
Old 08-09-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Tighten the belt a little more. Repeat until noise is gone.
Old 08-09-2016
Registered!!

Thanks for all the reply!

Also do it soon because the longer you stay with them loose the belts will need to be replaced again.
What happens if the belts break/snap? It sounds like urgent ... I will bring them to a shop asap.

Those deflection specs require the use of the proper belt tension gauge. Without the gauge there is no way to properly determine how much force is being used to move the belt.
Hopefully the independent mechanics have them ..

Tighten the belt a little more. Repeat until noise is gone.
Sound I replace them?
Old 08-09-2016
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GusBuz is a jewel in the roughGusBuz is a jewel in the roughGusBuz is a jewel in the rough

Your belts wont snap, they will just wear out quicker to where you would need to replace them sooner.

Do as Ezone says and just tighten the offending belt till the noise is gone and should be good to go.
Old 08-09-2016

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully the independent mechanics have them ..
HAHAHAHA!!!
Most dealers don't have them either.

I think I've only seen ONE in real life, at a Benz dealer more than 20 years ago.

Sound I replace them?
Only if worn excessively or damaged. You inspect, you judge.

Ignoring the squealing is not good for the life and health of the belt in question.
Ignore it too long and it will be trash.

7 months??? Why didn't you return to the installer the first time it was noticed?
Old 08-09-2016
Registered!!

Do as Ezone says and just tighten the offending belt till the noise is gone and should be good to go.
Sorry I don't know much about fixing something inside the engine bay. My level of car skills only enables me to do simple tasks i.e. change tires, bulbs and battery. =(

HAHAHAHA!!!
Most dealers don't have them either.

I think I've only seen ONE in real life, at a Benz dealer more than 20 years ago.
Oh my ... so I guess the mechanics just their instinct to tension them?

Only if worn excessively or damaged. You inspect, you judge.

Ignoring the squealing is not good for the life and health of the belt in question.
Ignore it too long and it will be trash.

7 months??? Why didn't you return to the installer the first time it was noticed?
Well I guess after 7 months I got comfortable with the problem and just decided to ignore it. Until someone recently told me this needs to be dealt with.

You know ... it's like owing people a sum.
Old 08-09-2016

Sorry I don't know much about fixing something inside the engine bay. My level of car skills only enables me to do simple tasks i.e. change tires, bulbs and battery. =(
Well you were able to identify the general area where the noise came from along with explaining enough about the conditions, you gave us enough info to identify the most likely issue........I'd say you're ahead of about 50% of the other people posting on forums LOL

Maybe it's something other than a belt needing tightened?

Oh my ... so I guess the mechanics just their instinct to tension them?
Not really instinct, because it's learned from experience.

Trial and error, eventually (hopefully) leads to experience if one has the ability to learn and retain.

Many don't.
For many people, every day is the first day on the job. (Do I need really to explain this?)
Old 08-09-2016
Registered!!

Maybe it's something other than a belt needing tightened?
Will bring the new belts to a mechanic for power steering and alternator belts replacement. If the noise still come up then I guess it's something else.

Not really instinct, because it's learned from experience.
Let's hope my mechanic have enough xp.

For many people, every day is the first day on the job.
Sounds like my job lol.
Old 08-15-2016
Registered!!

UPDATE: Took it to a mechanic and he replaced the two belts. However as I drove off the noise came back when (i) the car is running and (ii) AC/fan is on. I immediately took it back to the mechanic and he drove it around for a bit.

Then he told me the clutch inside the compressor is bad and as long as I don't switch the AC on everything is fine since the fix is pricy.

Any opinions and thoughts? Thanks!

Last edited by chi_tea; 08-15-2016 at 11:07 AM.
Old 08-15-2016
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,127 Likes on 942 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

you can replace just the clutch and it shouldn't be too pricey, the mechanic probably wants to replace the whole compressor
Old 08-15-2016

UPDATE: Took it to a mechanic and he replaced the two belts. However as I drove off the noise came back when (i) the car is running and (ii) AC/fan is on. I immediately took it back to the mechanic and he drove it around for a bit.

Then he told me the clutch inside the compressor is bad and as long as I don't switch the AC on everything is fine since the fix is pricy.

Any opinions and thoughts? Thanks!
Belt probably needs to be tighter.

Does it eventually quit squealing and work OK?
Old 08-15-2016
Registered!!

Belt probably needs to be tighter.

Does it eventually quit squealing and work OK?
Will have to leave the car overnight and test it tomorrow morning. Will update.
Is it difficult to diy tighten the ac belt?

Thanks guys! You guys gave me tremendous help!
Old 08-16-2016
Registered!!

Just started the car in the morning.

Same squealing, same problem, same loudness.
Nothing changed =(

Which bolt is it to tighten up the ac/compressor belt?
Also (maybe its just me) I feel like the power steering belt is not very tensioned (upon finger push).
Old 08-16-2016

Just started the car in the morning.

Same squealing, same problem, same loudness.
Nothing changed =(
Of course it's still the same, you didn't change anything.

Does it eventually quit squealing and
(does the air conditioner) work OK?
Which bolt is it to tighten up the ac/compressor belt?
Locate the DIY timing belt replacement guide (search this forum), it should cover the accessory belt procedures.

Also (maybe its just me) I feel like the power steering belt is not very tensioned (upon finger push).
I think that belt can run fairly loose without squealing, at least not until you try to turn the steering wheel. Remove the PS belt and recheck if the squeal is still present, that would prove it's not the issue.
Old 08-16-2016
Registered!!

Of course it's still the same, you didn't change anything.

Does it eventually quit squealing and (does the air conditioner) work OK?
Sorry ... my bad for not reading.

The two belts was just changed yesterday with new belts.

Yes, it eventually stop squealing after 5-10 minutes of engine running/driving. The AC works fine without a problem. The squealing only comes when the AC is on in the first couple minutes of a cold start.

Locate the DIY timing belt replacement guide (search this forum), it should cover the accessory belt procedures.
I have tried tightened the accessory belt couple minutes ago (a wing nut under the alternator ...) but it still made the squealing noise.
Old 08-16-2016

I have tried tightened the accessory belt couple minutes ago (a wing nut under the alternator ...) but it still made the squealing noise.
The rest of the bolts that secure the alternator must be loosened before the alternator can move.

The two belts was just changed yesterday with new belts.
Return to the shop that did this. The job you paid for is not complete.
Old 08-16-2016
Registered!!

Return to the shop that did this. The job you paid for is not complete.
I asked them to replace the accessory and power steering belt. Technically, they did what I asked them to do ... I went back yesterday and they told me it's the clutch problem of the compressor that's making the squealing noise.

The noise is similar/equivalent to the one below. Except my car only make that noise when AC/fan is on and last longer (over 1 minute instead of 10 seconds)

Old 08-16-2016

I asked them to replace the accessory and power steering belt. Technically, they did what I asked them to do ... I went back yesterday and they told me it's the clutch problem of the compressor that's making the squealing noise.
You DID say the AC works fine after the belt quits squealing, yes?
YES??? If so, then it's not a clutch problem at all.

Installing the belts correctly is part of the job you paid them to do. That means getting it tight enough to not squeal, and tight enough to stay that way.
Old 08-22-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
You DID say the AC works fine after the belt quits squealing, yes?
YES??? If so, then it's not a clutch problem at all.

Installing the belts correctly is part of the job you paid them to do. That means getting it tight enough to not squeal, and tight enough to stay that way.
The mechanic have tightened the belts couple times and it seems not to work. It still produce the sound during cold start with A/C on.

I'm going to replace the compressor, also the alternator while at it.

Hopefully that will get rid of the squealing noise.
Old 08-25-2016
Registered!!

UPDATE: I just found out turning on the high-beams during cold start will also make the squealing noise, only in a lower volume.
Old 08-25-2016
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,127 Likes on 942 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

alternator pulley?
Old 08-25-2016

Find someone who can tighten the belt correctly.
Old 08-26-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Find someone who can tighten the belt correctly.
Good news.

After replacing the compressor (w/ clutch) and alternator yesterday, the squealing went away this morning on cold start with AC, low/high beams, defroster and cd player on.

Still not sure where it came from but it is probably the compressor or alternator. I did this work with the same mechanic that replaced my power steering and alternator belt a week ago.

Thanks all!