Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Weird Engine Noise?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
seuss is an unknown quantity at this point
Weird Engine Noise?

I am having a weird engine noise occurring only when I rev the engine of my 03 civic. I had it in to a garage to check it out but they couldn't find where it was coming from. They told me they had the top of the motor off and looked in around the timing belt but had no luck. I initially thought it may have been the heat shield rattling but that has been taken off and the noise it still there. I have no lights on the dash and the car appears to be running fine. The noise can only be heard at a lower rpm and goes away when I am driving. I uploaded a video to youtube and I linked it below.Anyone ever hear this noise before or have any ideas on where to start?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_V_Z...ature=youtu.be
Old 07-29-2016
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: Weird Engine Noise?

Sounds like an exhaust leak.. possibly, an exhaust flange gasket.

When was the last valve lash adjustment done?

Last edited by Wankenstein; 07-29-2016 at 11:39 PM.
Old 07-30-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
seuss is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought it might be exhausted related but after taking off the heat shield it defiantly sounds internal. I bought the car less than a year ago and have never had a valve adjustment done. Couldnt tell you the last time it was done to be honest.
Old 07-31-2016
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by seuss
I thought it might be exhausted related but after taking off the heat shield it defiantly sounds internal. I bought the car less than a year ago and have never had a valve adjustment done. Couldnt tell you the last time it was done to be honest.
Valve lash adjustment seems like a good place to start and good maintenence. Easy to moderate DIY .. several youtubes and DIY posts on the subject.

Exhaust leak check:
While engine is on jacks or ramps and engine is cold spray soapy water on all exhaust connections from catalytic converter upwards to engine, including exhaust manifold/cylinder head location. Start engine and inspect for bubbles. Even better to have an assitant start and stop engine to prolong exhaust heating while you spray and check for bubbles. If, you're not comfortable being under a running engine then take it to a muffler shop. They would probably inspect without charge.