Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

HELP! Alarm Related Problem - Cannot Get Car Out of Park

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tock172 is an unknown quantity at this point
HELP! Alarm Related Problem - Cannot Get Car Out of Park

I'm currently in the midst of an incredibly irritating and frustrating problem.

My 2003 Civic EX came the stupid factory alarm. Unfortunately last evening, my key fob remote died and I was forced to unlock the car with the key, which immediately set the alarm off.

I was able to start the car, but the alarm would not stop going off, no matter what I did. I assume the only way to disarm the alarm is with the key fob, which is of course, dead.

I then tried to come back to the car and use my spare keyfob, which still works perfectly. I was able to unlock the car with the remote, and the alarm did not sound. However, I cannot get the transmission out of park now.

I replaced the battery in my regular key fob, but for some reason, it appears totally dead and will not work no matter what I try.

Long story short: my regular key fob died and I couldn't get into the car without setting the alarm off. I tried my spare key fob, which unlocks the car, but now I cannot get the automatic transmission out of park and into drive or reverse.

Does anyone have any ideas? The car is currently sitting in my office parking lot, so I have some time to troubleshoot. Is there a way to disarm the alarm so I can get the car out of park?
Old 02-09-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: HELP! Alarm Related Problem - Cannot Get Car Out of Park

but the alarm would not stop going off, no matter what I did.
Try unlocking the passengers door with the key?
but now I cannot get the automatic transmission out of park
Do the brake lights work?

Also,
You can remove the tiny access cover and manually release the lock, put shifter in Neutral, then start the engine.
I replaced the battery in my regular key fob, but for some reason, it appears totally dead and will not work no matter what I try.
Does it light up its LED?

Any other electrical stuff not working correctly?