Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Belt Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NathanKeller is an unknown quantity at this point
Belt Question

Hey guys, replaced my alternator on Saturday. Before replacement I never had any problems with a belt squeal. When I took off the belts to get to the alternator I examined them to make sure they were good, and they were. They actually looked pretty new. Anyways, when I put it all back together I will get a squeal from one of the belts. Its whenever I turn, and I am at a certain RPM. If Im in second at like 2500-3000, than shift into third it will go away. Did I just not tighten the belts tight enough?
Old 02-08-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Belt Question

If you can turn the steering wheel and make the belt squeal, the power steering belt probably needs tightened a bit.

A loose alternator belt usually squeals or screams immediately after a cold startup.
Old 02-08-2016
Registered!!

Yeah its when I turn the steering wheel. In the morning I will just tighten the power steering belt to see if it solves the issue! How tight am I looking to tighten it?
Old 02-08-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Just a smidgen? Just tighten a little bit at a time until it stays quiet.
You want it tight enough that it stays quiet, but if you get it too tight you can burn up the pump.

If you have a shop manual it may tell you measurements and pressures to determine deflection....
Old 02-08-2016
Registered!!

Alright I will just tighten it a bit at a time, turn the steering wheel, and just keep adjusting it until it no longer makes the squeal. Thanks!