Engine start problems Post issues with engine start here. Does not start, does not run, etc.

Won't start Any guesses? [solved - headgasket]

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
re: Won't start Any guesses? [solved - headgasket]

Originally Posted by nola000
I think those pistons are D17A2(VTEC). Mine isnt and they look different. Heres a picture of MY pistons (D17A1). You can clearly see the exhaust valve "tick" marks and these marks arent on any of the other pistons, only piston #1 which is what made me question it at all since all 4 pistons have the same tick mark on the intake side bit not on the exhaust side.
Right, I said mine was an A2 after I noticed the exhaust. The piston looks kissed......did that happen on you or had it happened to someone else before you?

Surely there would be valves tweaked on that cylinder if you did it, those marks look deep.

On a side note, what do yall think of my harmonic balancer? Its got some chipping on the lip that carries the power steering pump belt. Should I replace the balancer or is this chip just cosmetic? Is it going to throw something off?
I see them come in like that on occasion, and my concern would be balance. Is there enough material missing to throw it out of balance? IDK.

Break off a little on the opposite side to make it all even? LOL

One more.
Heres a picture of my bottom end. I had to pull the oil pan because it was leaking everywhere. Im already going to pull the oil pump and pickup screen to do the seals and check the pump for spec. Is there anything else I should while Im in here digging around? Should bother trying to clean the sludge in here? It would be a real pain in the *** and its not nearly as bad as the intake runners and cylinder head. I was going to run some cleanup solution through it anyway when I get everything back together. Good or bad?
Agree on yanking the oil pump off at this point and replace the O ring and reseal the pump.

Sludge....... If you start cleaning, you better finish.

The machine shop will probably clean up the head, and you better get the drain passages cleaned up that run from the head down to the crankcase.
How much to clean up in the bottom end is up to you......

Words of wisdom (or warning):

The WORST thing with sludge would be to have loose sludge migrate to the oil pump pickup screen and clog it up.

Because any sludge that gets loose WILL migrate to the pickup screen and clog it up.....then once the oil pump starves, it gets real expensive.

As long as the sludge is stuck to everything it's not gonna go anywhere.
This is why I won't run cleaners in a sludged engine.. I'm not gonna own someone elses problems like that.

JMHO, YMMV
Old 10-16-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nola000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Elciteeve
Are the valves bent? Are you having the heads looked at by a shop to check for warping? If so, have them check to see if the valves are bent. If your valves are straight I wouldn't worry about the notches in the piston.

I would replace the harmonic balancer pulley. That could affect the balance of the engine, add extra stress on the crank, cause improper functioning of the accessories it powers, etc. I've seen crank pulleys so out of balance they shear the woodruff key and splines on the crank and start spinning independently of the crank.
Good machine shop is going through the head.

Originally Posted by ezone
The piston looks kissed......did that happen on you or had it happened to someone else before you?

The WORST thing with sludge would be to have loose sludge migrate to the oil pump pickup screen and clog it up.

Because any sludge that gets loose WILL migrate to the pickup screen and clog it up.....then once the oil pump starves, it gets real expensive.

As long as the sludge is stuck to everything it's not gonna go anywhere.
This is why I won't run cleaners in a sludged engine.. I'm not gonna own someone elses problems like that.

JMHO, YMMV
Probably before me on the piston marks as Ive never had timing belt break or slip.

I agree on the sludge, if it aint broke dont fix it.
Old 11-16-2015
Registered!!

nola000 is an unknown quantity at this point

For anybody with similar symptoms, its turns out it was indeed the headgasket. Havent had any problems with it.
Old 02-17-2023
Registered!!

Car.guy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mikey1
i absolutely HATE the term "turn over" as there are a million and one ways this can be taken, are we baking muffins? did you turn them over
You don't turn muffins over when you bake them. Nobody wants a muffin with two bottoms but a crankshaft does turn over which drives the wheel via your gearbox. That's the kind of turnover I like, not to be confused with the dessert turnover since we were talking baked goods