Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Clutch purchase advice and timing belt

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jimmy Criswell is an unknown quantity at this point
Clutch purchase advice and timing belt

I have a 2002 EX coupe 5spd. It has 140,000 miles on it so tune-up and sensor replacement time coming soon. I am in immediate need of timing belt and my clutch will need to be replaced before long.

My questions: Honda is charging 699 plus tax for timing belt, water pump drive belt, camshaft seal and one other I am forgetting. Do you guys recommend a brand of kit that meets or surpasses OEM quality. I have changed several timing belts and feel comfortable with doing this but am weighing the time vs paying someone to do it.

Secondly, my car is 100 percent stock and I will not be doing any major modifications any time soon. However, I know from racing experience that taking rotating mass on the back of a motor increases acceleration and gas mileage. I drive very easy and average 35-36 45 percent city, 65 percent highway. Honda house wants 1300 to replace clutch pressure plate, release bearing and flywheel. Are there any direct bolt-on clutch, flywheel, pressure plate kits that are lighter weight and dependable that anyone can recommend? I drive my car very easy with no racing. Firmness of shifts does not bother me.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I may toy and learn the tuning world after I get my project truck running and dependable. I figure since I will be replacing the clutch may as well get something good. I will do the work myself along with my ASE certified mechanic uncle. We have replaced many transmissions and clutches so this should not be an issue.
Old 02-22-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Clutch purchase advice and timing belt

for timing belt, water pump drive belt, camshaft seal and one other I am forgetting. Do you guys recommend a brand of kit that meets or surpasses OEM quality.
Timing belt
Water pump
TWO drive belts, (AC/alternator, and power steering)
cam seal
front crank seal.... maybe..
Gallon of antifreeze

Valve cover gasket may or may not be included. At that mileage you may want to change it, but it may add more labor cost.

Get the timing belt tensioner pulley too. It'll add a little more to the price, but I don't trust it beyond 200k miles.
FACTORY PARTS ONLY on this.

You can't beat factory parts quality for the entire job, including coolant.
JMHO

No comments from me on the clutch, I'd use OE though.