Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Poor performance and fuel economy

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
logepoge1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Poor performance and fuel economy

Before you start I did search the forums and couldnt find any help with this problem. I have a 2004 EX with 145,000 miles. When I first got it was was hitting mpgs in the 30s. My last fillup brought me 21 mpg. Here is the fuelly chart: http://www.fuelly.com/car/honda/civi...gepoge1/299035 along with mods in notes that I did during that tank. I also have timed my 0-60 at 12 seconds which is terrible compared the the average 8 seconds. I miss my mustang right now cause it was 7 seconds. And the Mazda 6s that I passed on to get a civic got 6.5 seconds. Any idea what is causing this problem? The spark plugs are the Denso Platinum TT and I put a Fram air filter in on this most recent tank which was my worse tank(old filter was also FRAM but wasnt the Extra guard one. Old one had pollen buds clogged in it though)
Old 10-28-2014
Registered!!

Re: Poor performance and fuel economy

bump
Old 10-29-2014
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light

Stock Civics have never been champs at sprinting. 12sec is not surprising at all. Mustangs and Mazda 6's have larger engines than you probably do. Now if you had a turbo or engine swap, that's another story. Do you get top tier gas? Any additives besides the SeaFoam?
Oil is good?
Unrelated, but timing belt is good?
Old 10-29-2014
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,443 Likes on 1,198 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

did you go through essential tune-up mods (or similar name thread) made by Gearbox?
Old 10-30-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Poopies
Stock Civics have never been champs at sprinting. 12sec is not surprising at all. Mustangs and Mazda 6's have larger engines than you probably do. Now if you had a turbo or engine swap, that's another story. Do you get top tier gas? Any additives besides the SeaFoam?
Oil is good?
Unrelated, but timing belt is good?
I used STP once cause I used it with every fill up in my mustang. I am gonna try non-ethanol gas for my next fill up just to see if I notice a difference. Last time I filled up I used Exxon. Oil is at 6000 mile mark on the synthetic so gonna change it soon. Initial acceleration is awesome. It is the 30-60 that seems to lag a bit. But I am up to 30 in no time. I noticed the RPMs are slowly being able to hit higher.(I almost redlined the other day on an automatic taking off full throttle from a stop sign to test it). But that may be me gettings used to it more and knowing its limits.