Electrical Post your questions about electrical issues here!

Issues with exterior lights

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ninefivefour is an unknown quantity at this point
Issues with exterior lights

I have 2004 Honda Civic VP Coupe and I was wondering if anyone can help me out with this issue. I'll try to explain as simply as possible.

If I have the headlights off and I press the brake, the brake lights come on like normal but for some reason parking lights up front come on too. Weird.

If I have the headlights on, then the brake lights appear to be on already, even the one underneath the rear window, even though I'm not pressing on the brake. Then if I press the brake, then all 3 lights appear only very slightly brighter.

Obviously, this is really bad when I'm driving at night as it appears I'm driving around with my brake lights on at all times and when I actually do press on the brakes, you can barely tell.

I have no idea what's going on. I checked all the fuses and bulbs and everything appears to be fine. Could it be an issue with a switch or a relay? I'm kind of a novice at this and any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 05-08-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Issues with exterior lights

Sounds like the brake light circuit is shorted to the parking light circuit.

Where? Can't tell you that. Somewhere between the dash and the rear of the car.

Guess? Maybe you have one or more wrong bulbs in the tail/brake sockets? Disconnect brake/tail socket wire connector from one side at a time, see if it goes back to normal.

Any work ever done in the rear, like bodyshop or other electrical stuff? Start there.

HTH
Old 05-09-2013
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Maybe one of the brake/tail bulb filaments came loose... and is touching the other filament ??
Old 05-09-2013
Registered!!

ninefivefour is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CraigW
Maybe one of the brake/tail bulb filaments came loose... and is touching the other filament ??

Someone else checked the all the bulbs for me again and noticed one of the rear brake light bulb filaments was loose and barely touching the other one. Replaced it and everything seems to be working like normal again. I feel dumb it was something I missed the first time.

Thank you CraigW and ezone for your suggestions, much appreciated.
Old 05-09-2013
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

It can happen, glad it was an easy fix.
Old 05-25-2022
Registered!!

randyjapan is an unknown quantity at this point

I have one brake light out. The other 2 work when I depress the brake pedal. Swapped out the lamp, but still no luck. When I turn on the head lights, it will come on, but when I depress the brake pedal, it goes off again. Help please.
Old 05-26-2022
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

Make sure you are using the correct bulb for the brake light. It is a dual-filament bulb #7443.
The following users liked this post:
CraigW (05-26-2022)
Old 05-26-2022
Registered!!

randyjapan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NDNV
Make sure you are using the correct bulb for the brake light. It is a dual-filament bulb #7443.

Thanks. I checked that. It appears that I have the right bulb in and still no luck. Any other ideas? Thanks in advance
Old 05-26-2022
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,127 Likes on 942 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Know how to use a multimeter to check for power and ground in the bulb socket?