Overheating or loss of coolant, heater blowing cold If you are having overheating of loss of coolant issues, post here!

Overheating and mysterious coolant loss common causes - reference

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Overheating and mysterious coolant loss common causes - reference

Pressure test radiator with running presure reaches 17psi, increase the RPM and PSI up to 20 PSI. Pressure cycles 17-20PSI as the fan cuts in and out.
DO NOT DO THIS ON A RUNNING ENGINE!
You can blow apart the radiator, you can blow hoses off or apart. This is dangerous.

The pressure tester has no way to vent system pressure, where the radiator cap is designed to limit pressure to about 15 PSI.

----
and reluctantly believe I have a bad head gasket on my daughters 2004 Civc EX.
It needs the head gasket job.
Old 03-08-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lobsterman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone
DO NOT DO THIS ON A RUNNING ENGINE!
You can blow apart the radiator, you can blow hoses off or apart. This is dangerous.

The pressure tester has no way to vent system pressure, where the radiator cap is designed to limit pressure to about 15 PSI.

----
It needs the head gasket job.
Yes, I relized this pressure test is risky. I had done it before finding this info. Had someone in the car to shut it off. checked before hand for extreme pressure. I know, still risky.
This is a much better test. Thank you for the lesson. I actual new from the symptoms that it was blown. Just hoping for a miracle cure, and a reprieve from a weekend under the hood. So Cylinder 1 & 2 leaking.
I have done this job a couple of times on 95-97 civics. I removed the head with the intake and exhaust attached. Made it real easy. A little awkward, but I just lifted it with my engine hoist with little effort by myself. Will this work on the 2004?
Old 03-08-2016
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,443 Likes on 1,198 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

I took it out with the intake in, no issues. header i removed, but it is not a hassle on the 7th gen

the struggles I had (could be different in yours, layout changed between models and years) were reported in one of the two head gasket DIY articles in the DIY section (be careful in the DIY section, if deemed not adding information to the DIY, we clean the threads to keep information as concise as possible, so irrelevant questions gets deleted, unless it's important information - reduces the pages that one needs to sift through when one wants to have a real DIY)

Thread 1:

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...t-diy-2-a.html

Thread 2: (Where I reported my struggles on my 2002 coupe EX - like said, they could be different on a sedan or auto, or different year - different layouts - I guess some of the 2002 have the ABS on the other side from mine?)

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...-belt-diy.html

Last edited by sdaidoji; 03-08-2016 at 07:57 PM.
Old 03-08-2016

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I removed the head with the intake and exhaust attached. Made it real easy. A little awkward, but I just lifted it with my engine hoist with little effort by myself. Will this work on the 2004?
Matter of preference I guess.
I personally prefer to leave both manifolds in the car and pull just the head by itself.

I think the exhaust is real easy to unbolt from the head and unbolt the lower support and just let it move or drop away the couple inches that it will go, that way you don't have to mess with splitting apart pipe connections from underneath at all.

The intake is tricky to get unbolted, many just leave it attached and pull it with the head. There's like 3 fasteners that need undone underneath before it will come up though.
Old 03-08-2016
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

What ezone said. The trick part though was tightening the knock sensor after reinstalling the head. I left it undertightened and it came loose the next day
Old 03-09-2016
Registered!!

Thanks for all the great advice and information. Starting it Friday afternoon. Hope to get it done by Sunday.
Old 03-18-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Lobsterman
Thanks for all the great advice and information. Starting it Friday afternoon. Hope to get it done by Sunday.
Well the job went almost flawlessly. With the exception of the right bolt on the upper timing cover bolt spinning the molded nut in the plastic all was very smooth. The head did not need machined. And assembly went great. All connectors, bolts and brackets made it back to there original postion and no codes showed up. She has drove it all week and coolant level has moved about 1 inch, I figure that is from air bleeding out, but watching it.
I pulled head with exhaust and intake in place. Never took them off. Also, most important I put ever bolt back in it spot as I disassembled. Made it a breeze when reassembleing. Thanks for the advice. Now I have to replace the expansion valve on my 97 Civic. Argh! Lol
Old 08-01-2016

Old 08-01-2016
PITA Admin
Administrator

haha
Old 08-07-2018

Thread bump...because whenever I do a search for it it's 3 pages deep now
Old 08-07-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Originally Posted by ezone
Thread bump...because whenever I do a search for it it's 3 pages deep now
it's a sticky, so just head to 7th gen, mechanical issues section, and it should appear on the top stickies

Old 08-07-2018

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
it's a sticky, so just head to 7th gen, mechanical issues section, and it should appear on the top stickies
That's not how my brain works though! LOL
Old 08-08-2018
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,148 Likes on 802 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Old 08-08-2018

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
I'm elderly. A greybeard. Set in my ways already. Old dog, new trix and all that.

*shakes cane in anger, falls over, breaks hip
Old 08-08-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

LOL, guys, dammit!
Old 08-08-2018
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,148 Likes on 802 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Alright grandpa. I'll get off your damn lawn...