Suspension Post your issues with Suspension here! Suspension will cover from Steering Column (Steer Wheel is in interior), Suspension, Bearing and Hubs

Power Steering Leaking inside the car

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MoeGalvez is an unknown quantity at this point
Power Steering Leaking inside the car

Hi everyone, I have a problem with my Civic LX 2002, a few weeks back the power steering fluid is leaking inside the driver side of the car, the carpet is getting ruined and there is fluid in the engine, but I can't find the leak. Any help is going to be greatly appreciated, before the dealer squeezes me.

Thanks

Moe
The following users liked this post:
Alimuti (08-20-2020)
Old 11-02-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Power Steering Leaking inside the car

one of the hi pressure hoses prolly just tore. usually you can get em at the auto store for $30, but you gotta figure out where the leak is first.
Old 11-02-2009
Banned

greeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to behold

dude thats almost not possible, u would have a gigantic mess in the bay too, how do u kno its ps fluid?
Old 11-03-2009
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

I would suspect a problem with the rack & pinion assembly. There is a round flange portion on the firewall that is leading into the steering column. It is most likely leaking internally and pushing fluid into the cabin.
Old 11-03-2009
Registered!!

There is no way to get oil inside the car, it is not coolant because it is oily and dark, transmission fluid it is imposible, so the only dark and oily fluid in the car is PS, besides when you lift the car in the front the power steering fluid tank gets emptied for no reason whatsoever, it just gets empty in front of your eyes (you can actually see the tank going lower and lower until it's gone.
Old 11-03-2009
Registered!!

I saw a lot of fluid in the engine, mostly by the boots, so I could be that the problem, I am going to check it today and let you know. Thanks for your help.
Old 11-03-2009

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

That is a lot of fluid !! It has to be dripping somewhere under the car if it is leaking under the hood.
Old 11-03-2009
Registered!!

Yes, it does, it has been dripping for quite some time. Didn't know what it was until it came inside the car.
Old 11-03-2009

At each opening in the front wheel wells are the 2 ends of the rack & pinion, Is there any fluid at either of those 2 ends ??

Is the dripping anywhere near the firewall ??
Old 11-03-2009
Registered!!

Going to check, will let you know
Old 11-03-2009

Here is a drawing, It is the only place I can imagine that any fluid can be getting inside. The round end of the flange is on the engine side of the firewall. It seems I remember reading of people having fluids leaking inside the car in this fashion ( other than coolant, rain water & evaporator drain water)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
01-05 Steering Info.pdf (241.0 KB, 2557 views)
Old 11-05-2009
Registered!!

Thanks a lot!
Old 11-03-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Try1m0re is an unknown quantity at this point

So I just bought my Honda and Im totally having the same problem. Power steering fluid all in my floorboard, and if I reach my hand back up inside where the steering shaft goes into my firewall, I pull out fingers covered in steering fluid. I have NO IDEA about cars at all, and my neighbor who is a mechanic says its my rack and pinion, but he didn't really look at it and I just want to make sure that's what it is. Could it be some kind of seal? Is it safe to drive TEMPORARILY like this or am I screwed? Thanks a lot! <3
Old 11-04-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Try1m0re
So I just bought my Honda and Im totally having the same problem. Power steering fluid all in my floorboard, and if I reach my hand back up inside where the steering shaft goes into my firewall, I pull out fingers covered in steering fluid. I have NO IDEA about cars at all, and my neighbor who is a mechanic says its my rack and pinion, but he didn't really look at it and I just want to make sure that's what it is. Could it be some kind of seal? Is it safe to drive TEMPORARILY like this or am I screwed? Thanks a lot! <3
Your neighbor is right, it needs a rack job. Sure there is a seal, but most will just replace the rack because it has to come out anyway, and most don't want to mess with any teardown.
Old 11-30-2016
Jianders

jianders is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the same issue with the power steering fluid leaking inside my floorboard right underneath the steering rod!
Old 12-01-2016
Honda Maniac!

Carbuff2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jianders
I have the same issue with the power steering fluid leaking inside my floorboard right underneath the steering rod!
So, start pricing a new rack.

On some cars (GM I know for sure) aftermarket rebuilt racks are best because they sleeve the worn leaky area. But, I don't know about this particular issue with the Civic.
Old 12-01-2016

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

This thread link might be worth throwing in here (just for information ya know)

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...ring-pump.html
Old 05-13-2018
Registered!!

lorolia is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone
This thread link might be worth throwing in here (just for information ya know)

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...ring-pump.html
Hey ezone, I'm in the exact same problem. It happened me today!

Mine's a 05 civic. So just want to know what re manufactured rack and pinion brand can you recommend me?

For obvious reasons the one you were talking about in that other thread is not an option to me.

So, I went to rockauto and they have 3 more brands.

Which one do you think I should go with? AC Delco, AAE or BBB /Vision-OE ?

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...nd+pinion,7388

Thanks a lot man!

I appreciate your input!
Old 05-13-2018

Originally Posted by lorolia
Hey ezone, I'm in the exact same problem. It happened me today!

Mine's a 05 civic. So just want to know what re manufactured rack and pinion brand can you recommend me?

For obvious reasons the one you were talking about in that other thread is not an option to me.

So, I went to rockauto and they have 3 more brands.

Which one do you think I should go with? AC Delco, AAE or BBB /Vision-OE ?

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...nd+pinion,7388

Thanks a lot man!

I appreciate your input!
Y u no Honda reman?

Can't comment on which aftermarket might be better, but based on reputation and track record, I personally would avoid the A 1 C@rd0ne.

Although there is one thread in here somewhere where a poster lodged a complaint about the companys product (I think it was about a steering rack) and somehow a company employee found the thread (probably via spider) and chimed in (maybe just for damage control ??)
Old 05-13-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

Wonder just how hard it would be to just replace the 3-4 seals on the input shaft that leak out into the cabin..

clealy you you need to remove the assembly, but once out does not look hard to take apart.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	D13BAD15-4044-4F63-A7CA-0EDB7E645086.jpeg
Views:	1877
Size:	1.93 MB
ID:	112202  
Old 05-14-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Y u no Honda reman?

Where do I look for one like those?
Old 05-14-2018

Originally Posted by lorolia
Where do I look for one like those?
Local Honda dealership?

Online Honda dealer selling parts at wholesale prices?

Won't be as cheap as the aftermarket options though
Old 05-14-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Slumpertcivic
Wonder just how hard it would be to just replace the 3-4 seals on the input shaft that leak out into the cabin..

clealy you you need to remove the assembly, but once out does not look hard to take apart.

Don´t really know but...I will let you know tomorrow.

My local stealership wants $ 1200 for a new one (Honda)

and $ 565 for a re manufactured one (Honda)

I was able to get the seal kit for $ 47.34
Transtec brand (actually NOK seals)
http://transtec.com/why-transtec/the...complete-kits/

I will just take it to a local shop that only does this kind of job.

So I´ll try this first and if no luck I will buy the re manufactured one.

I won´t be throwing $ 1200 on a car that is 13 years old.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	transtec kit 1.jpg
Views:	508
Size:	854.7 KB
ID:	112204   Click image for larger version

Name:	transtec kit 2.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	112205  

Last edited by lorolia; 05-14-2018 at 08:38 PM.
Old 05-20-2018
Registered!!

All is good now...shop charged $ 140 for the labor and we mounted it on Friday. No leaks until now and car feels good. The shop even gave me 2 months of warranty for any problem.
So all in all I spent $47.30 (seal kit)+ $6 (honda ps fluid) + $140 (labor) + $6 (another honda ps fluid) + $59.66 (2 inner tie rod ends) = $ 258.96

I'll see how much it lasts this time but I clearly don't expect to last 13 years like the first time.

If it lasts 5 years then I'll be happy.

The thing is I see no good options to buy a car now so I'll continue using this one meanwhile.
The following users liked this post:
Andym (01-16-2021)
Old 01-16-2021
Registered!!

Andym is an unknown quantity at this point

Soon i will be doing the same, leaking inside the cabin. Gotta watch a guide how to take that out.