Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

low beams not workin!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
crazyasian will become famous soon enoughcrazyasian will become famous soon enough
low beams not workin!

well i know this isnt the light forum but b.c not alot of pplz look thro there i decided to put it here cause it is still a mechanical problem/issue.

well todai it flooded around the Norfolk, VA area and it was the day i was goin bak up to my house to visit family and friends but couldnt. the main street i take to get to the highway was flooded only 5 minz from my house so i had to turn around which involved goin into the water which was pretty deep and then turning around. well i got thro it fine just jumped the curb a bit b.c i didnt see it and as i was heading bak it slammed pretty damn hard into a huge pothole, didnt dmg anything just got gravel sprayed all over my engine bay(cleaned it asap obviously) but other than that nothing serious was damaged. then i find out that both low beams arent workin, mind you i have a retrofitted headlight. i checked both fuses, the tiny #20 yellow fuses in the engine bay fuse box, and they both were okay. everything except the low beams are workin such as high beam, parking light(including signal), and CCFL halo rings(which is off the same harness for the hids. wat im guessing is that when i slammed into the pothole the ballast got knocked loose and unplug the wiring or the wiring is soaking wet or even the worse case scenario fried. any ideas fellas? sorry its so much stuff to read but u would need the full story to understand. heres a cliffnote:

flooding in the area
had to turn around but had to go thro a bit of water(only stayed in for 2 sec)
slammed into a huge pothole
low beams arent workin
possibly ballast got knocked loose(located underneath headlight)
possibly wiring is wet or fried
fusese for headlights are okay
high beam, parking light, and halo ring still workin

i will be checking the ballast out tommorrow if it isnt raining before i head bak up. any ideas?
Old 09-02-2006
Registered!!

nj_represent is an unknown quantity at this point
If your highbeams still work then you are ok because the ballast can still arc the HID. Unless your hi-beams is fed by a different ballast. Check all ballasts ,if you have more then 1, then swap one for the other that you know that works. If you only have one check input voltage coming from the car and do all the normal check fuses procedure.
Old 09-02-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
let everything dry first, then make sure everything is connected. it shouldnt just get knocked loose. more than likely the ballast may have gotten wet and damaged. they are not waterproof contrary to what people think. if everything seems okay, disconnect everything and plug the ballast directly to the battery to see if it works. if not, need new ballast. it could be the bulb if you went over a huge hole, maybe they broke? thats kinda doubtful tho.
Old 09-02-2006
Registered!!

crazyasian will become famous soon enoughcrazyasian will become famous soon enough
well i checked everything out this morning it seems to be that the fuses that are on the harness for the hids was submerged or just got wet which isnt allowin the hids to work....i did check the ballast both seem okay, no condensation or wet but thats just the exterior dont know how it is in the inside. i also noticed that when i flip on the light i dont even hear the buzz of the hids or the ballast prob b.c they arent workin thats prob y. so i think the 2 fuses or boxes that are on the harness are wet or even damaged cause when i looked at em they were pretty far down but reachable. even just shaking them water comes out. ill prob pull everything off dry them out and then try again to see if it works if not then im just gonna slap my stock ones bak on.
Old 09-02-2006
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
oh the relays maybe? couldve fried em so thats an easy fix. they dont work when wet lol
Old 09-02-2006
Registered!!

yea i pulled them off and dried them off as best as i could with a hair drier. turned the headlights on....bam they came right on. the sweet sound of the buzzing noise from the hids/ballast.
Old 09-02-2006
Premium Member

haha nice. i have my relays about two inch from the ground too maybe i should move those.
Old 09-02-2006
Registered!!

yea that might b a good idea. only reason my relays got soaked to hell was one they were way down below prob a lil past the front crash bar and two is that i had to drive thro a freaking 3inch deep or more water to turn around. i sure as hell didnt want to hop a curb with my lowered car. wouldve done more dmg. im just glad that the low beams work now. i just have my relays sitting right behind the headlight and the battery now.