Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

OBDII Code Explanation?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wizkid is an unknown quantity at this point
OBDII Code Explanation?

I went to Advance Auto parts to have them do a code scan for the CEL light that I had on. The codes it pulled were P0511 and P1457. I then looked them up on the OBDII sticky. The codes explanations are: P0511 - Idle Air Control Valve Circuit Malfunction and P1457 EVAP Emission Control System Leak Detected (Control Canister System). What exactly is the explanation and possible cause of these. These are coming from a 2005 Civic EX Coupe, so its really pissing me off that this is going on. Any help is appreciated
Old 01-01-2006
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
just as the codes state, the first one has to do with your idle air control valve. you could have anywhere from faulty wiring to a bad IAC valve. The IAC valve basically allows extra air to bypass the throttle plate when there is an increased load on the engine. Helps to maintain idle.

the other code is an emissions code. For this code, the ECU has detected a leak in 2 different driving cycles, thus setting a code for it. Usually it is caused by a gas cap left off, but this code has to do with the canister system. can be caused by a vacuum hose disconnected, cut, bad purge valve, bad charcoal canister, etc...

But since you have a 2005 civic, it will still be under warranty, so take it back to the dealer and have them diagnosis it and fix it.
Old 01-01-2006
Registered!!

Do these have anything to do with the exhaust system or intake? I'm just trying to figure out if Honda is going to give me **** about my exhaust or intake when I take it in
Old 01-01-2006
Registered!!

streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
not really, unless when installing the intake, you happened to mess up some wires, and the same with the exhaust, if you happened to pinch a hose or something. But for a new car, I would put it back to stock, then take it in.
Old 01-02-2006
Registered!!

i just realized that my gas cap may have a part in this. My car got broken into a while back, and they messed with the gas cap/tank, so I bought a locking gas cap. That may be the problem.
Old 01-03-2006
Registered!!

I had the same problem. I failed emissions cause of my old OEM gascap, so they replaced it with a wiz cap and the check engine light came on a few times for a EVAP system leak detected, so I replaced it with the honda OEM cap and it never came back. Even the manaul recommends you start with that.
Old 01-03-2006
Registered!!

Yeah, I put the OEM gas cap back on and now its seems that all the codes have cleared. Thanks for the help