Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

headlight switch recall

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ren808 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation headlight switch recall

i hope this has not been posted before

has anyone gotten a headlight switch recall letter from honda?
i got one yesterday, there is a defect with the HL switch on civic models 01-02.
it seems that the low beam headlights turn off. i had this happen to me before while i was driving the other day. well now i know why they turned off, that damn hl switch!
Old 04-29-2004
MIT
Registered!!

MIT is an unknown quantity at this point
yeh, got mine fixed last weekend....they fixed the swtich behind the steering wheel.....
Old 04-29-2004
I need TP for my bunghole

PunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud of
yeah it has been covered and I have to scheadule mine to be done.
Old 04-30-2004
Banned

MeguiarsEM is an unknown quantity at this point
i recieved mine too. so their repairing the switch from the inside? I have Hid's and aftermarket headlights would that interfear with the repair? How long did the repair take?

Originally posted by MIT
yeh, got mine fixed last weekend....they fixed the swtich behind the steering wheel.....
Old 05-05-2004
Registered!!

DCivicEX is an unknown quantity at this point
I left my car for the day only.
Old 05-05-2004
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
VTEC01EX is an unknown quantity at this point
My dealer did mine in an hour while I waited. They also have a home theater system with a plasma TV in the waiting room. Not a bad way to kill an already wasted hour of time!
Old 12-17-2014
Registered!!

flipChick is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: headlight switch recall 2001 civic

Does anyone know any details about this recall? My daughter's car is a 2001 but for some reason it's not covered in the recall, yet what is going on with it is exactly what the recall covers. Her VIN shows no recall for this issue.
Old 12-17-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flipChick
Does anyone know any details about this recall? My daughter's car is a 2001 but for some reason it's not covered in the recall, yet what is going on with it is exactly what the recall covers. Her VIN shows no recall for this issue.
It COULD have already been completed.

It MIGHT not be eligible for the recall at all. Not all are under recall. The VIN report is the final answer on this....and subject to change.
(You can check it yourself on the Honda website.)

Are you having problems? Do the low beam headlights quit working while driving?
Old 12-17-2014
Registered!!

flipChick is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone
It COULD have already been completed.

It MIGHT not be eligible for the recall at all. Not all are under recall. The VIN report is the final answer on this....and subject to change.
(You can check it yourself on the Honda website.)

Are you having problems? Do the low beam headlights quit working while driving?
Yes, it just started happening....on, off, on, mostly off. It's not the bulbs, that's been confirmed. What else could it be? It has to be electrical system and it seems like too much of a coincidence that there is this known issue.
Old 12-17-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: headlight switch recall

Did the dealer say if it has already had the recall done? I've understood there are cases of shoddy workmanship done on the recall that resulted in repeated problems.

Did you check your VIN on the Honda site?

Are you willing to dig into the problem yourself? Are you good with electrical problems?
Old 12-18-2014
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by flipChick
What else could it be? It has to be electrical system and it seems like too much of a coincidence that there is this known issue.
There is a recall kit that has new switch and electrical connector with short wire, etc

Getting those terminals out is not easy.

I bet you could look at it under the column covers and tell if work has been done.