Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

Loud, continuous engine "hum"

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
zvan92 is an unknown quantity at this point
Loud, continuous engine "hum"

My '05 Civic SE has a loud hum over top of the regular engine noise. The pitch gets higher at higher speeds and lower at lower speeds. The noise is there when the clutch is engaged or disengaged, so I've ruled out a possible transmission issue. The best way I can explain the noise is that it sounds like an extension of the regular engine noise, making it sound sort of like a high-performance sports car. The noise is best heard from inside the car with the windows shut and the air off. A passenger told me that it sounded like the noise was coming from the driver's side, but when I lean my head over to the passenger side while driving, I hear the sound over there too.

Here's a video: https://youtu.be/wjR8yKdhfmU

Is this normal? It's quite annoying, but I will put up with it if there is no major maintenance required.

Thanks!

Last edited by zvan92; 06-29-2016 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Added video
Old 06-29-2016
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Loud, continuous engine "hum"

Check for a bad wheel bearing. Also get the code scanned for your Check Engine Light and search it on this site for more info.
Old 06-29-2016
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

bad front wheel bearing, quite common on these cars

watch this video, and use extreme caution if you choose to do this.....

Old 06-29-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Airplane flying next to you: Bad wheel bearing

Plus, check engine light.... and clutch squeak is damn loud.