Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

94 civic. Key won't start car. Have to jump starter every time. Help please

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Klame9420 is an unknown quantity at this point
94 civic. Key won't start car. Have to jump starter every time. Help please

Clutch safety stopper is gone, but doesn't that just mean I should be able to turn it over without pressing the clutch? Didn't think that would cause my key to not have any juice when cranking It over but as soon as I noticed the bits of rubber on the floor my key would no longer work. Even with a penny in place of the stopper it still does nothing. I don't think it's my ignition switch since everything works fine in the cranking position. Cruise control doesn't work either which also leads me to believe it's the safety switch but still don't know because I thought it's only function was to not let you accidentally start it in gear and disengage the cruise control as soon as you press the clutch. Please help any input is greatly appreciated
Old 09-07-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 94 civic. Key won't start car. Have to jump starter every time. Help please

Clutch safety stopper is gone, but doesn't that just mean I should be able to turn it over without pressing the clutch? Didn't think that would cause my key to not have any juice when cranking It over but as soon as I noticed the bits of rubber on the floor my key would no longer work.
It's no coincidence.

Even with a penny in place of the stopper it still does nothing.
Look some more, there are usually TWO switches on the clutch pedal. You may have only found the lower one, that's not the one for the starter. Look higher.

Last edited by ezone; 09-07-2015 at 09:14 PM.
Old 09-07-2015
Registered!!

Thank you I will look tomorrow and report back, I was guessing the switch had some sort of reset and was not being pressed in far enough by the penny? But if theres another switch I'll check there before testing/replacing the ignition switch
Old 09-07-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Wire colors on the starter interlock switch should be black and blue/black

Switch for ECM, wire colors pink/black and black
Switch for cruise, wire colors pink and black
Old 09-07-2015
Registered!!

So I'm guessing I don't need to check ECM switch considering engine will start and run fine in crank position, telling me that all the circuits are engaged to power the ecm. So then starter interlock switch would be my main focus? If that's not the bottom switch then perhaps that stopper was already gone on the cruise control since it hasn't ever worked and the bits of rubber came from higher up. Thanks for the help I will check and report back
Old 09-07-2015

So then starter interlock switch would be my main focus?
Yes, that's the one that will 'interrupt' the starter circuit.
Old 09-07-2015
Registered!!

Bingo! decided to go check real quick and sure enough the second switch up has no stopper in it. Wasnt easy to see and is prolly gonna even harder to squeeze one in there. Oh well though, and now looks like i might have solved my cruise control problem as well. A couple stoppers and I'll be good to go. Thanks man!
Old 09-07-2015

YW
Good luck!