Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/237-mechanical-problems-vehicle-issues-fix-forum)
-   -   94 civic. Key won't start car. Have to jump starter every time. Help please (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/237-mechanical-problems-vehicle-issues-fix-forum/365140-94-civic-key-wont-start-car-have-jump-starter-every-time-help-please.html)

Klame9420 09-07-2015 07:42 PM

94 civic. Key won't start car. Have to jump starter every time. Help please

Clutch safety stopper is gone, but doesn't that just mean I should be able to turn it over without pressing the clutch? Didn't think that would cause my key to not have any juice when cranking It over but as soon as I noticed the bits of rubber on the floor my key would no longer work. Even with a penny in place of the stopper it still does nothing. I don't think it's my ignition switch since everything works fine in the cranking position. Cruise control doesn't work either which also leads me to believe it's the safety switch but still don't know because I thought it's only function was to not let you accidentally start it in gear and disengage the cruise control as soon as you press the clutch. Please help any input is greatly appreciated

ezone 09-07-2015 08:42 PM

Re: 94 civic. Key won't start car. Have to jump starter every time. Help please

Clutch safety stopper is gone, but doesn't that just mean I should be able to turn it over without pressing the clutch? Didn't think that would cause my key to not have any juice when cranking It over but as soon as I noticed the bits of rubber on the floor my key would no longer work.
It's no coincidence.

Even with a penny in place of the stopper it still does nothing.
Look some more, there are usually TWO switches on the clutch pedal. You may have only found the lower one, that's not the one for the starter. Look higher.

Klame9420 09-07-2015 09:04 PM

Thank you I will look tomorrow and report back, I was guessing the switch had some sort of reset and was not being pressed in far enough by the penny? But if theres another switch I'll check there before testing/replacing the ignition switch

ezone 09-07-2015 09:24 PM

Wire colors on the starter interlock switch should be black and blue/black

Switch for ECM, wire colors pink/black and black
Switch for cruise, wire colors pink and black

Klame9420 09-07-2015 09:34 PM

So I'm guessing I don't need to check ECM switch considering engine will start and run fine in crank position, telling me that all the circuits are engaged to power the ecm. So then starter interlock switch would be my main focus? If that's not the bottom switch then perhaps that stopper was already gone on the cruise control since it hasn't ever worked and the bits of rubber came from higher up. Thanks for the help I will check and report back

ezone 09-07-2015 09:53 PM

So then starter interlock switch would be my main focus?
Yes, that's the one that will 'interrupt' the starter circuit.

Klame9420 09-07-2015 10:02 PM

Bingo! decided to go check real quick and sure enough the second switch up has no stopper in it. Wasnt easy to see and is prolly gonna even harder to squeeze one in there. Oh well though, and now looks like i might have solved my cruise control problem as well. A couple stoppers and I'll be good to go. Thanks man!

ezone 09-07-2015 10:03 PM

YW
Good luck!