Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

1993 honda civic shift lock solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
extreme58 is an unknown quantity at this point
1993 honda civic shift lock solenoid

I've been reading for days and I'm trying to figure out why my shifter will not go from park to drive without using the manual shift lock release. I know the brake pedal works the shift lock solenoid but the brake lights work like they are suppose to. I've checked all the fuses and they appear to be good. I have an extra ecu and I swapped them out and it did not make a difference. I put a meter on the shift lock solenoid with the brakes applied and no voltage to the solenoid. Is it possible that the brake switch is bad even though it appears that it is working. I was hoping I wouldn't have to spend a whole lot of money trying to change out a bunch of parts that I don't need to change. Anybody got a way for me to check out the brake light switch with a meter. I don't own a test harness for the ecu so I can't go there easily. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Cars are not my specialty!
Thanks for reading
extreme58
Old 01-04-2011
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 1993 honda civic shift lock solenoid

I could only find limited schematics, and nothing helpful. If the solenoid it tied direct to the brake lights it would be a simple fix. Can you see what the wire color is for the interlock solenoid, See if it is possibly GREEN/WHITE (same as brake lamp wiring)
Old 01-05-2011
Registered!!

No I think it is a brown /yellow wire. I just wish I could rule out the Interlock control unit. They cost over 100.00 new. I would think that there would be some information out there that would give me some test points and voltages or a least a hint of what my problem is.
Old 01-05-2011

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

You might search the web for the factory manual (most likely what you will need) You can most probably get it free with some searching.

Is there a way to disable or remove it ??
Old 01-05-2011
Registered!!

All I would have to do is move the solenoid out of the way which would be real easy. I thought this was a fix it forum where people share information and knowledge. I can't believe no one else has not had this problem before and has first hand experience on how to fix it.I could always take it to the dealership and let them take care of it but I would not learn a thing. This is more like a challenge and a puzzle that needs to be solved. Thanks for every ones help
Old 01-06-2011

This site started as a 7th gen only site then recently went to all Civics.

The internet may be fast, but instant answers are still a long way off.

hth

It's from a 94 (same generation)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
94 Civic Shift Interlock.pdf (42.8 KB, 881 views)
Old 01-06-2011
Registered!!

Thanks Craig W.
That little wiring diagram will come in handy. I appreciate the effort that you put in. This car is a hobby/project of mine which has really kept me on my toes. I've had this car for about 6 years. It's been a lemon but it is paid for.( about twice over). I drive it when it runs and it sits till I get ready to fix it. It's a true love hate relationship. Its got a new motor and a lot of new stuff to go with it. I'm in too deep so I can't give up. Thanks again
Old 01-20-2011
Registered!!

"goose"Jay is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by extreme58
I've been reading for days and I'm trying to figure out why my shifter will not go from park to drive without using the manual shift lock release. I know the brake pedal works the shift lock solenoid but the brake lights work like they are suppose to. I've checked all the fuses and they appear to be good. I have an extra ecu and I swapped them out and it did not make a difference. I put a meter on the shift lock solenoid with the brakes applied and no voltage to the solenoid. Is it possible that the brake switch is bad even though it appears that it is working. I was hoping I wouldn't have to spend a whole lot of money trying to change out a bunch of parts that I don't need to change. Anybody got a way for me to check out the brake light switch with a meter. I don't own a test harness for the ecu so I can't go there easily. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Cars are not my specialty!
Thanks for reading
extreme58
shift salenoids or anti lock up salenoids control when your auto trans shifts based off of strain on the trans or ecu they do not conflict with it going into gear. Sounds to me like youve got a bad shift switch (sorry dont know technical name). I have manual for your gen of civic. just pm me and ill scan the diagrams of what you need.
Old 03-17-2011
Registered!!

i just thought I would update this thread as I thought someone may use this information plus I need a little more info myself. It turns out after many hours of checking and tracing down wires I gave up and took it to honda. I already replaced the brake light switch and checked every thing from the shifter to the brake lights.I checked everything except the throttle angle censor which is in a crappy location and that is what they said it was. Damn! Double damn! They say you have to change the throttle body to get the sensor. This little unit cost over 500.00 dollars american which I don't got. I've been reading and some are saying you can replace just the sensor and I see some prices for them on the internet. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this replacement and if so what kind of luck did they have. I can't for the life of me understand why it has to happen to me. A crappy messed up throttle angle sensor. Any suggestions?
Old 04-14-2011
Registered!!

adriianrm is an unknown quantity at this point

i just thought I would update this thread as I thought someone may use this information plus I need a little more info myself. It turns out after many hours of checking and tracing down wires I gave up and took it to honda. I already replaced the brake light switch and checked every thing from the shifter to the brake lights.I checked everything except the throttle angle censor which is in a crappy location and that is what they said it was. Damn! Double damn! They say you have to change the throttle body to get the sensor. This little unit cost over 500.00 dollars american which I don't got. I've been reading and some are saying you can replace just the sensor and I see some prices for them on the internet. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this replacement and if so what kind of luck did they have. I can't for the life of me understand why it has to happen to me. A crappy messed up throttle angle sensor. Any suggestions?
Hi, I have a honda civic 1995, yesterday afternoon when I put it in park, and I could not move from there. I read about it and I think it's selenoid, or you believe it?
Old 07-11-2015
Yin
Registered!!

Yin is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey extrme54 did you foun a solution to your problem i have the exac same thing
Old 10-09-2017
Registered!!

kriszpy is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: 1993 honda civic shift lock solenoid

Thanks for reading
extreme58
Hello I have a 1995 civic. for me the solution was a throttle sensor replacement.